New coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we hire Sam Jacobs for a ruck development role?
Yeah, Nah.

1 - boys' club
2 - why?
3 - Matty Clarke seems to go ok, and is still here.
4 - how much does it cost to have someone say "stay on the ground and drop it at your feet"?
5 - was a club champ, but frankly we owe him nothing, even if he has expectations that the position is "his role".

ROB is developing nicely under Clarke, and if you're convinced Jacobs is the paragon of rucks, Clarke was the one who did most of his coaching.

Bass is coming. He has had five years at Port and needs a change.

I'll be really disappointed if we give Thomo a job. He will spend more time in the gym than doing his job.

No way we would take on Jacobs. Too much history and baggage at the Crows to come back so soon.

Bass needs to move on I agree and Port may in fact be looking to move him on as well, depending on how they plan to structure up moving forward.

From an assistant coaching panel perspective, I think its important to be bringing in coaches from different enviroments on a semi-regular basis. Get that IP from other clubs, that fresh perspective/ideas, make sure you're reasonably up to date with the goings ons.

If you're going to bring an ex-player in Bass is probably one you'd consider given he's had good experience as a coach in his own right at Norwood and has since had stints at both Essendon and Port Adelaide. He's also one well known for speaking his mind and challenging the status quo.

Yeah, Nah.

1 - boys' club
2 - why?
4 - how much does it cost to have someone say "stay on the ground and drop it at your feet"?
5 - was a club champ, but frankly we owe him nothing, even if he has expectations that the position is "his role".

ROB is developing nicely under Clarke, and if you're convinced Jacobs is the paragon of rucks, Clarke was the one who did most of his coaching.

In this current climate, we will need coaches who can fill multiple roles and Clark probably has that covered coaching the women's and then working part time as a ruck coach and probably assisting the midfield coach. Gone are the days of employing ex-players willy-nilly into a "development role" to give them a start.

In terms of actually developing a career in coaching, Sam would be far better served finding a role away from the AFC.

Yeah, Nah.

1 - boys' club
2 - why?

Agree yet with prospects of Thilthope & Very green back up ruckman Jacobs could be useful in the SANFL.

Maric was half the smart ruckman than Jacobs was yet holds the ruck coach role for the tigers.

And the boys club comments are stupid, he is a quality retired ruckman with over 200 games of experience that is all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the boys club comments are stupid, he is a quality retired ruckman with over 200 games of experience that is all

Yeah, I don't think they are. We have a history of giving jobs to under- or unqualified ex-players just to look after them.

He had 0 coaching experience. There is ample evidence that being a good player does not automatically equate to being a good coach.

What, other than being an ex-crow, is on his CV that warrants a job?

As another poster said, if he's serious about being a coach, he should be start elsewhere. If he wants to be in Adelaide, maybe Port or SANFL, but he needs to spread his wings.

Also, the way he left and his sense of entitlement while here results in a significant risk of him being a disruptive presence. We, IMHO, need to have as clean a break as we can from the old disgruntled group.

Should we hire Sam Jacobs for a ruck development role?
"Now ROB, once you have done the tap, just put your hands on your knees and watch the boys fight it out and save your energy for the next ball up.

And this dropping back behind the play and contested marking business, boy we have some work to do to get that out of your game"

Agree yet with prospects of Thilthope & Very green back up ruckman Jacobs could be useful in the SANFL.

Maric was half the smart ruckman than Jacobs was yet holds the ruck coach role for the tigers.

who gives a * about the SANFL.

The boys club comments are certainly not stupid given our clubs history.

Were you saying to recruit Jacobs to play as a back up in the SANFL? We know Sam doesn't like being #2, so I wouldn't see that happening.

I think Clarke has more runs on the board with ROB's development than what I would expect from Jacobs who has pretty well learnt from Clarke anyway.

Yeah, I don't think they are. We have a history of giving jobs to under- or unqualified ex-players just to look after them.

He had 0 coaching experience. There is ample evidence that being a good player does not automatically equate to being a good coach.

What, other than being an ex-crow, is on his CV that warrants a job?

As another poster said, if he's serious about being a coach, he should be start elsewhere. If he wants to be in Adelaide, maybe Port or SANFL, but he needs to spread his wings.

Also, the way he left and his sense of entitlement while here results in a significant risk of him being a disruptive presence. We, IMHO, need to have as clean a break as we can from the old disgruntled group.

The thing that bugged me most about that interview last night was when he was asked about the Crows season and was he surprised with the 0-13 start. He then went on to say that injuries to the senior players was the reason for the poor results and they missed most of the start of the season. Again, the entitled mentality of the senior players that has plagued the team for the last three years was evident. I was screaming at the radio saying that the senior players were playing but they were s**t and were the ones that were responsible for the s**t results!!

That attitude and together with his selfish actions late last year I don't want Jacobs anywhere near this playing group. There is nothing 'team first' about Sam Jacobs unfortunately.

Were you saying to recruit Jacobs to play as a back up in the SANFL? We know Sam doesn't like being #2, so I wouldn't see that happening.

I think Clarke has more runs on the board with ROB's development than what I would expect from Jacobs who has pretty well learnt from Clarke anyway.

I was quoting get Jacobs a development coaching role in our SANFL side.

I rate Clark but in a rebuild we need more support spread out to speed up development.

Didn’t want to play sanfl finals when with us, just NAH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back