new comic book reader?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd start off by picking a single character and not venturing out too far initially, or you WILL get overwhelmed. Pick someone you think you'll identify with, especially someone you liked as a kid, I for instance started with Batman. Don't restrict yourself to Marvel or DC either, they're the two big names in comics, but some of the smaller 3rd party companies have great stories too.

Most importantly, figure out whether you're gonna buy monthlies or trades. monthlies are the thin books, single issues that tell the next installment of the story, and trades collect a whole bunch of issues, often a complete story arc. I personally buy trades and if an issue or arc comes out that i think looks enticing, I'll collect the issues.

Finally, find out where all the local comic shops are in your area, and what they are like for price, variety etc. If in doubt about anything else, either post here or talk to the dealer at the local store. Happy hunting!:)

go read 'The Walking Dead' really awesome zombie comic I cannot recommend it enough. Another good one is 'Transmetropolitan' its about a journalist that is trying to uncover corruption deep inside washington but is set in a bladerunner-esque future but not as gritty and a bit more comedy and wackiness. Really awesome.

'Lucifer' is a classic about yeah satan who is portrayed as not an evil person who is trying to destroy humanity like in the bible but just an angel who is trying to break free from god and live in freedom. God doesn't hate him in the comics and they even talked a few times. Very realistic portrayal of the ruler of hell.

Can't go wrong with those three not your typical superhero comics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back