News New concussion protocols 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing that will be hard is that currently CTE can only be diagnosed after death. Obviously there are other diseases and impairments that are out there but CTE is the main one they want to avoid.

yes and this will simply be a timing difference

If your sitting in the chair, with a predecessor going to jail, would you feel comfortable with the status quo?

As plenty have already posted it is hard to see what else can be done.

There is no simple answer to this.
The obvious one the AFL gutlessly fails to do, is heavily penalise players who duck. Selwood and Schuey as the two most infamous duckers, should have been hit with big penalties as soon as the AFL (supposedly) got serious about this, when they first ducked. Allowing such high profile players to intentionally put themselves at risk of injury without consequence contradicts the message the AFL is putting forward.

The obvious one the AFL gutlessly fails to do, is heavily penalise players who duck. Selwood and Schuey as the two most infamous duckers, should have been hit with big penalties as soon as the AFL (supposedly) got serious about this, when they first ducked. Allowing such high profile players to intentionally put themselves at risk of injury without consequence contradicts the message the AFL is putting forward.

yep, they should have copped muralitharan type bans until the action was remedied

I'm no expert but 12 days as compared to 6 seems like a token increase to appease the ever growing chorus of panic re CTE. Given the reported damage of these smaller but more numerous 'sub concussive' head knocks, I don't see how the AFL will ever fully be able to fully appease anyone who is concerned about CTE.

100% agree with this.

I'm no expert but 12 days as compared to 6 seems like a token increase to appease the ever growing chorus of panic re CTE. Given the reported damage of these smaller but more numerous 'sub concussive' head knocks, I don't see how the AFL will ever fully be able to fully appease anyone who is concerned about CTE.
One of the biggest risks is a player having another knock when they haven't fully recovered from the last. A player having 8 concussions a season, each 3 weeks apart, is less likely to have issues then if they had 4 knocks, but the 2nd and 4th were a week or less after the 1st and 3rd respectively. So I support this part of the policy. It's just as always with the AFL piecemeal and some clubs / players will get treated differently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back