New Cricket sayings

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole James Brayshaw nomenclature needs to get in the bin along with him.

'What a great shot that was by this particular individual'

'how amazing is this man'

'how's the ball use by this player'

I guess I suppose my question is, what the **** is wrong with him?

You have to understand that you are talking about two different people.

One is James Brayshaw, who is actually an intelligent and considered man.

He sometimes plays a character called JB, who is part-buffoon, part-bogan, part-class clown. JB appears on TV and radio stations that want to attract a certain type of audience, that apparently love that blokey shtick.

JB earns James Brayshaw a s**t-ton of money.

He sometimes plays a character called JB, who is part-buffoon, part-bogan, part-class clown. JB appears on TV and radio stations that want to attract a certain type of audience, that apparently love that blokey shtick.

JB earns James Brayshaw a sh*t-ton of money.

You could replicate this for several commentators, including Ian Healy and Michael Slater, both of whom are much, much better when they are working for overseas networks that don't encourage them to be dickheads.

JB earns James Brayshaw a sh*t-ton of money.

Something, something something, Chew man

Spot on. Whether it’s footy or cricket, lots of words, with no substance.

The disappointing thing is he can actually commentate, but these days it’s just strings of blokey, repetitive cliches, and I’m happy to say that some of his MMM footy commentary in the past has been superb.

“Finchy is an enormous talent who has the ability to hit the cricket ball an unbelievably long way”. Just pure crap that adds nothing.

Same with footy. Relying on the “he’s a great player” type comments instead of analysing the actual game at hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could replicate this for several commentators, including Ian Healy and Michael Slater, both of whom are much, much better when they are working for overseas networks that don't encourage them to be dickheads.
Slater is still a prize dick overseas from the little I've heard. He's just somehow worse (and drags anyone he played with down) when commentating for an Australian network.

Clearly my experience differs, even though I was born in '87.

That's ok... I always had it referred to as "deep mid-wicket" but nobody says that anymore.
Yeah, the position was deep mid wicket. But the "agricultural slogs" were described as "being to cow corner". I hadn't noticed, but you might be right in a way in the position itself (not just the direction of a slog to that position) has largely changed terms.

Clearly my experience differs, even though I was born in '87.

That's ok... I always had it referred to as "deep mid-wicket" but nobody says that anymore.
I think you have to play a certain type of slog for it to be 'cow corner', otherwise it's just plain old deep mid-wicket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back