New Cricket sayings

Remove this Banner Ad

That's because it is more inclusive, and seeings as you don't just have men's cricket on the telly anymore I reckon you're going to have to get used to that one.
That's the thing now, I think the ICC or was it MCC recently said they'll no longer be referring to batsmen rather batters and since then in newspapers they just say batters now.

But when it first reared its ugly head in the 1990s I don't think it was for those inclysivity reasons and we had the strange situation for the next 15-20 years where all the people in the game referred to batters and almost everybody watching it said batsmen, it was very odd.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nicking off really went from nought to 100 in a short time
I thought I was going a little mad with how quickly that became the accepted terminology from previous terms such as "got the edge" or "nicked it to slips" and my inability to remember it from my youth.

The batter / batsman thing is interesting.

At first many cringed as it seemed to just be another case of American cultural imperialism (baseball).

But it's gender neutrality makes it much more acceptable and inclusive

Then again, go to any women's footy or soccer game and you'll hear "man up" or "man on" or "holding the man".

I think the key is to either way, not let it upset you.

Pacers for fast bowlers although it's Indians who seem particularly guilty of this.
I was going to post this one. It kind of makes sense in line with spinners but it's a bit odd on the ears.

I play with a lot of Indians so have got used to it. Like "youngsters" rather than juniors

That's the thing now, I think the ICC or was it MCC recently said they'll no longer be referring to batsmen rather batters and since then in newspapers they just say batters now.

But when it first reared its ugly head in the 1990s I don't think it was for those inclysivity reasons and we had the strange situation for the next 15-20 years where all the people in the game referred to batters and almost everybody watching it said batsmen, it was very odd.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I understand it may be too complicated for the average journalist to figure out, but maybe if it's a mens match use the term batsman and if it's chick cricket go with batter.

Clearly my experience differs, even though I was born in '87.

That's ok... I always had it referred to as "deep mid-wicket" but nobody says that anymore.
Cow corner is a little straighter than a traditional deep mid wicket IMO.

It's about 1/3 of the way from deep mis to long on where the slog sweep tends to go.

"Mammoth". Everything in the cricket world is "mammoth" these days.

"Australia have set England a MAMMOTH 4th innings target."

"Williamson has made a MAMMOTH 150 against South Africa"

"West Indies have a MAMMOTH task ahead of them if they are to save this one."
Only a matter of time until "Mammoth maximum" becomes a thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand it may be too complicated for the average journalist to figure out, but maybe if it's a mens match use the term batsman and if it's chick cricket go with batter.
I'm sure some do, just as some don't. Either way it doesn't really matter.

Binga: He's got an arm like a frozen rope...

This would be grating to me. The term frozen rope is not used to describe the arm but rather the trajectory of the ball. It's used commonly in baseball and American football to describe a ball that is thrown with high velocity on a straight line with very little to no parabola effect. I mean the arm throws the ball but the term is for the ball path.

Is Third Man still a legit fielding position??

I think chick cricket uses the term "third" by itself. At least that's what I heard when all these discussions were going on a couple of years ago. I don't watch chick cricket so couldn't say for sure.

This one has already been mentioned, but I found it really strange a few years ago when I heard the Sky UK commentators saying ‘nick off’, ‘nicked off’, ‘nick him off’, etc like it was a common term that had been around for years.

I detest the batter term. It is horrid. It refers to either batters from baseball, you batter someone. Or even more useful is that you have batter on your fish.
Never will I use the term batter in reference to male cricketers.
I am so glad that the Aussie commentators are using the old way of giving scores. 6 for 187, instead of 187 for six.
I am sure that even the Poms used to say the former, but for some reason changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back