New direction at St Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this. We've actually chosen two really good coaches in a row - in different ways. Watters can hopefully consolidate and take forward the work done in the Lyon years. We are well placed with him in charge now. As supporters we should be happy with the coaching choices that we have made because we made some poor ones over a long, long period. :thumbsu:

I'm also a big fan of the Watters/Laidley combo. I think in a couple of years when we look back at a drought breaking premiership win (I really believe it is coming) we will see that this combo played a big part in it as they complement each other very well and I believe it will only get better this year and in the years to come if they stay together.
I think it's coming too. Whether it's with this core or the next, I think Watters will get us there one day.

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
Agree with this. We've actually chosen two really good coaches in a row - in different ways. Watters can hopefully consolidate and take forward the work done in the Lyon years. We are well placed with him in charge now. As supporters we should be happy with the coaching choices that we have made because we made some poor ones over a long, long period. :thumbsu:

I'm also a big fan of the Watters/Laidley combo. I think in a couple of years when we look back at a drought breaking premiership win (I really believe it is coming) we will see that this combo played a big part in it as they complement each other very well and I believe it will only get better this year and in the years to come if they stay together.

:thumbsu: +1
Off field we are really well set and we are taking steps to get it right on field. That will take another season, maybe 2 but we are well on the right track!

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
Geez, I hope not, you would think that they wouldn't need him as they have Eade although Bucks probably needs all the help he can get in the coaches box so they might just need him.

Wasn't that last year before the Pies appointed Eade?

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Didnt hear anyone complaining about how Ross Lyon sanctioned players when we made Grand Finals in 09,10.

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Mitta United, Tapalinga, St Marys
Watters is to be applauded in so many ways Ithink that Lyin used the Kremlin as his model, where he exerted total control of operations and then drew a veil over all else they did.

The new openness allows us to far better engage with our supporters, wider AFL community and sponsors. The Saints have a great story and very pleasing that Watters wants to share this with everyone. Also pleased with a number of developments to create our own content.

Wouldn't be surprised to see our next media /sponsor initiative where a company sponsors the Saints TV show on Foxtel "Saintly" as part of this new openness lets us and our new company sponsor build brands together. (no news or insight here, just early morning speculation)

Q TRAIN

Cancelled
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I guess Scotty was hired a little too late last season to make any major list changes. But he is sure making his mark felt now . Wich could be a good thing i guess.
Personally i would just like us to get through the rest of the pre season without anybody pressing the
images

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I guess Scotty was hired a little too late last season to make any major list changes. But he is sure making his mark felt now . Wich could be a good thing i guess.
Personally i would just like us to get through the rest of the pre season without anybody pressing the
images

Which list changes would you have had him make last year?

Baker, Eddy, and McQualter had already been shown the door.
Gardiner retired.
Lynch was traded.
Gamble, Heyne, Cahill, Smith, and Johnston were all delisted. We took a big draft and filled the rookie list.

Personally ( at the time ) I wanted to keep Smith and delist Clarke, but given that Smith was delisted there was absolutely no reason to delist anyone else.
Espcially since at the time we had no idea if any of Newnes, Dunell , Milera, Ross etc would be any good.

tbarker

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

Gardiner retired.
Lynch was traded.
Gamble, Heyne, Cahill, Smith, and Johnston were all delisted. We took a big draft and filled the rookie list.

Personally ( at the time ) I wanted to keep Smith and delist Clarke, but given that Smith was delisted there was absolutely no reason to delist anyone else.
Espcially since at the time we had no idea if any of Newnes, Dunell , Milera, Ross etc would be any good.

It shows me how time flies - who was Smith?

Yeah, fair call about Alias - I felt that was probably the harshest of the delistings in this period. Defacto, have you seen much of him this year? Thoughts?

Q TRAIN

Cancelled
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

Gardiner retired.
Lynch was traded.

I didnt say I wanted ANY changes made. I was just saying Scotty joined the Saints a little too late in the post Lyon wake to be heavily involved in too many list changes last season , but he is making his presence felt this post season. Thats all :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tbarker

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4474

Looks like he's still getting a lot of the ball. What he did once he got it was always the question mark. But I would have liked to see him get a decent shot at it.

ahhh - now I remember. the dribbler (according to Aker). I liked the kid because he was a genuine midfielder but his kicking let him down terribly - especially under pressure.

mysainters

Cancelled
St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
May 22, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
He probably remained on the list for so long under Rosco, because he could 'role play' like he did on Aker.

Potential defensive forward ;)

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
The bubble was all about blocking out the exterior distractions and focusing on the job at hand. Great idea... especially at a club like St Kilda. Methinks some supporters are too quick to rewrite history in regards to Lyon... who was almost a back to back coach. Best coach since Jeans IMO.

People should actually have a read of The Bubble by Misson. Great read.

First people complain the Lyon was too strict... now Watters is better?

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The bubble was all about blocking out the exterior distractions and focusing on the job at hand. Great idea... especially at a club like St Kilda. Methinks some supporters are too quick to rewrite history in regards to Lyon... who was almost a back to back coach. Best coach since Jeans IMO.

People should actually have a read of The Bubble by Misson. Great read.

First people complain the Lyon was too strict... now Watters is better?

I dont see it as quite that simple.
If you want productivity in a factory to improve, you go out and give the guys a speech about how badly you need it, why they should do it.
It works. Productivity will improve.
But it wont keep working if you do it every day.
Lyon's method was worn out by 2011 and too much of the responsibility of winning was lumped onto too few.

I tend to think Watters has reloaded the team and remotivated them a bit.

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Luke Miles was the unlucky one, despite his injury year after being delisted thought he was very stiff to be dropped. His couple games were pretty damn good. Don't think anyone saw that coming. Al Smith wasn't all that surprising to me.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Luke Miles was the unlucky one, despite his injury year after being delisted thought he was very stiff to be dropped. His couple games were pretty damn good. Don't think anyone saw that coming. Al Smith wasn't all that surprising to me.

All I could think at the time was that the medico's must have given him a massive thumbs down ( and he was no spring chicken).

I realise the doubts about Smith but I sort of still liked him because he was still so young and because he just got so much of the ball. I think he got 40someting disposals in one VFL game ( and there's a 36 in one of his WAFL games last year). He wasn't on the list that long considering the amount of the ball he got at VFL level and the quality of other young players we had at the time. It was Lyon remember, and I really couldn't understand why he didnt get a shot in the Robert Eddy or Andrew McQualter roles.

Because those roles were for Eddy and McQualter, and them only. Even when Steven came in and kicked multiple goals in games he was eventually dropped because deep down Ross couldn't trust a youngster.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Because those roles were for Eddy and McQualter, and them only. Even when Steven came in and kicked multiple goals in games he was eventually dropped because deep down Ross couldn't trust a youngster.

Favouring Robert Eddy for games throughout the season, playing him in the GF then delisting him.
I liked Rob Eddy, but I'd long given up hope that he'd be a quality AFL player.
Seriously if Lyon was going through a maze trying to find food, he'd need to ask the mice for directions, then if you moved the food, he'd still be going to the old spot years later.

All I could think at the time was that the medico's must have given him a massive thumbs down ( and he was no spring chicken).

I realise the doubts about Smith but I sort of still liked him because he was still so young and because he just got so much of the ball. I think he got 40someting disposals in one VFL game ( and there's a 36 in one of his WAFL games last year). He wasn't on the list that long considering the amount of the ball he got at VFL level and the quality of other young players we had at the time. It was Lyon remember, and I really couldn't understand why he didnt get a shot in the Robert Eddy or Andrew McQualter roles.

I can't understand why players don't get their flaws fixed. either by paying for someone to come privately and assist in fixing the issues or the clubs paying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back