Coach New direction

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to make a comment about paying players big money. There is trend in society that everyone scrambles for what they think that they should have. People want to biggest house, the best cars, all the things that show to the world that they are successful. And yet, you see cases like Tom Boyd where he gets twice as much as he should have expected and he ended up unhappy about it. Dale Thomas had a bit of that too. As Jared Polec if he has enjoyed his year. Ask Brad Hill if he's felt a bit more negativity from the world because he might not be delivering what his salary says he should.

We dont know what is wrong with Grundy, but there is no doubt that his world has changed totally with the signing of his contract. You could call it security or you could call it a straitjacket. I know players can easily get out of contracts if they raise enough crap, but he is effectively locked in at the moment. He is one of the highest paid players in the competition and he is getting a lot of negative media about it - which he has never got before. Who knows if all this negativity has had an effect on him.

The point that I'm making is a lot changes when a player flips over to a high paying long term contract....and its not always all good.

On the other hand, I will gladly accept donations...

PM jackcass for relevant account details.

There, fixed that for you.

That's my read on the initial parting of the ways but it now appears to have been formalised and we have a new VFL coach coming apparently. Hard to know if we've already had discussions with Buddha about a return to the senior panel once everything has been sorted. I'd certainly welcome it, he and Boyd bring some grit to the panel.
A friend of mine his good friends with him. He indicated that Buddha received a call from the Pies about a month ago to inform him we were going in a different direction next year and he would no longer be required.

A friend of mine his good friends with him. He indicated that Buddha received a call from the Pies about a month ago to inform him we were going in a different direction next year and he would no longer be required.

Thanks. That's pretty much what the media was saying at the time.

That's my read on the initial parting of the ways but it now appears to have been formalised and we have a new VFL coach coming apparently. Hard to know if we've already had discussions with Buddha about a return to the senior panel once everything has been sorted. I'd certainly welcome it, he and Boyd bring some grit to the panel.

Do you think coaches having grit is more important than players having it?

There's a theory that the players end up like the coach... and I suppose if the coach selects players that he likes, you can see that happening. However Stephenson doesnt remind me of buckley. WHE doesnt either. I could probably think of more. I'm not sure coaches can coach players to be more gritty.

Do you think coaches having grit is more important than players having it?

There's a theory that the players end up like the coach... and I suppose if the coach selects players that he likes, you can see that happening. However Stephenson doesnt remind me of buckley. WHE doesnt either. I could probably think of more. I'm not sure coaches can coach players to be more gritty.

I think it's easier for someone with grit and/or a history of playing that way to teach it and/or expect it from their playing group. Can't imagine Ryan Lonie (for example) demanding his players put their bodies on the line and getting that outcome, but you could see the players responding to Vossy (for example) requesting the same.

Players like Stevo and WHE aren't in the side for their grit, they're there for their skill and flair. Traits Bucks also had.

which direction would that be I wonder? - seems a pity to me - he might have had something to do with the good form of DeGoey, Stephenson, WHE etc in 2018

I think I read our current development coach will add VFL coach to his role.
It’s seems the reduced FD cap is forcing multi skilling.
But agree we need Buddha back in some capacity.

which direction would that be I wonder? - seems a pity to me - he might have had something to do with the good form of DeGoey, Stephenson, WHE etc in 2018
I thought it was an interesting comment considering he didn't get to coach a game. Several players have credited him has having had influence on them.

I think I read our current development coach will add VFL coach to his role.
It’s seems the reduced FD cap is forcing multi skilling.
But agree we need Buddha back in some capacity.

Yeah, Black apparently.

Maybe we need to sign Sean White as his sidekick.

I think we’ve given our current development coach Skipworth the added responsibility of VFL coach - sadly cost savings seems to be the driver of the new direction,

There aren't too many who take issue with actual constructive criticism. Maybe it's more about what people try to pass off as constructive criticism.

Pass off? Calling players spuds or coaches can't coach is not constructive.

Something like list imbalance or our record over the journey, or players not be used to their strengths - does attract labeling of being a non supporter.

Pass off? Calling players spuds or coaches can't coach is not constructive.

Something like list imbalance or our record over the journey, or players not be used to their strengths - does attract labeling of being a non supporter.

Not from me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's easier for someone with grit and/or a history of playing that way to teach it and/or expect it from their playing group. Can't imagine Ryan Lonie (for example) demanding his players put their bodies on the line and getting that outcome, but you could see the players responding to Vossy (for example) requesting the same.

Players like Stevo and WHE aren't in the side for their grit, they're there for their skill and flair. Traits Bucks also had.

yeh but i've seen some pretty "soft" guys as assistant coaches over the years. While you got logic there, I think the most important part is "buy in" and the head coach and the club generally sets the agenda there.

yeh but i've seen some pretty "soft" guys as assistant coaches over the years. While you got logic there, I think the most important part is "buy in" and the head coach and the club generally sets the agenda there.

Point me to the “soft” coaches who turned players without grit into players with grit.

Point me to the “soft” coaches who turned players without grit into players with grit.

i was talking more about assistant coaches that had a soft reputation as players... i cant think of names but I can remember times when i've been watching a game and the assistant coaches are talking to the boys at half time and they need to go in harder...and i've thought to myself, that's an interesting thing that so-and-so has to tell his players.

if i could be bothered, i'd try to find some names....but i cant be stuffed so i'll just say that you're right. I concede.

We need this desperately. Buckley took over a side that had on back to back minor premierships and just lost a GF. After 2 years he had to rebuild now we are rebuilding again. This time we have to rebuild properly without Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back