Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Bennett will be a "one and done " Patriot He is exploring free agency.
Given the background and history I think he is done in New England.
When he came over from the Bears we offered him a longer contract at 7 million per year which he rejected , so he obviously thinks he is worth a lot more , the problem with that is that Gronk is on 9 million a year.
So BB won't pay Bennett overs.

Some other team will pony up and pay Bennett overs .

You would think that we would get a third round compensation pick for him in the 2018 draft, we handed over tha years fourth rounder to aquire his service so that typical BB trading.

Even if Bennett did stay I reckon that TE was already a high need come free agency and the draft.
All the crap TE backups have already been moved on .

So Marty thanks for the contribution in the season gone and hope you end up at an Club that won't hurt us.

He was a handy player during the season and a pivotal part of SB 51.

Brace yourself for a very different roster on the new season.

Looks like Bennett will be a "one and done " Patriot He is exploring free agency.
Given the background and history I think he is done in New England.
When he came over from the Bears we offered him a longer contract at 7 million per year which he rejected , so he obviously thinks he is worth a lot more , the problem with that is that Gronk is on 9 million a year.
So BB won't pay Bennett overs.

Some other team will pony up and pay Bennett overs .

You would think that we would get a third round compensation pick for him in the 2018 draft, we handed over tha years fourth rounder to aquire his service so that typical BB trading.

Even if Bennett did stay I reckon that TE was already a high need come free agency and the draft.
All the crap TE backups have already been moved on .

So Marty thanks for the contribution in the season gone and hope you end up at an Club that won't hurt us.

He was a handy player during the season and a pivotal part of SB 51.

Brace yourself for a very different roster on the new season.
It's a good draft for TEs. Bennett leaving shouldn't hurt us too much, although it's not ideal. We did sign some TE to a futures contract as well, so the cupboard's not completely bare.

As an aside, it's a shame we never really got to see Bennett & Gronk firing as a tandem.

We didn't tag Hightower - am I right in reading it as a show of confidence that he will re-sign?

I would like to think so........ but I must admit that I am feeling uneasy on this one and I won't be at ease till we sign up our fourth best player.
Would seem counter productive to not get High's signature to a long contract after we supposedly trade Chandler Jones and Jammie Collins to free up some cap space to be able to keep Hightower.

Also he is one of my favourite Patriots and the thought of him wearing another teams colours is the stuff of nightmares .

So let's hope he signs really f****** quick as the suspense is not good for my health.

With the amount of cap space we have how can we not pay DH top dollar to keep him. Personally I'd be mega pissed if we didn't. He's been pivotal in winning us two SBs.

He's not one of those guys you can just go out and replace. I'd rather lose Gronk than DH if we needed extra $ to make it happen.

I think we all feel the same re DH nobody wants to see him go, I hope he can come back but maybe he wants money now he has rings. Chris Long is off and that wasn't much of a surprise but thanks for the flag Chris, you got what you deserved. Also Jimmy isn't going anywhere apparently.

I think we all feel the same re DH nobody wants to see him go, I hope he can come back but maybe he wants money now he has rings. Chris Long is off and that wasn't much of a surprise but thanks for the flag Chris, you got what you deserved. Also Jimmy isn't going anywhere apparently.

I was a little concerned at the time when High didn't go to the post SB parade in Boston and he said " I have had enough of snow ,rain and the cold. ".
The thought crossed my mind that the Tennessee native might be eyeing a warmer climate and he would be a very handy addition to the on the rise Titans.

There was an article that I read last week that the Fins had interest in High , now that would really hurt as we would have to face him twice a year.

Really thought we could count on Long coming back. Damn, loved what he brought to the team

He isn't a big loss on the field, he was handy at best but his production was pretty low, that said he was quality depth.

Off field and in the locker room he will be missed as his work ethic and professionalism were top notch.

I wish him all the best and I am glad for him that after years of toiling and grinding in the league he finally got to participate in and experience the post season and in fact get himself a ring.

ausbacker Hightower is a priority and I will be pissed if we don't keep him. His contribution to our last two super bowl titles has been huge.

Great leader and big game player, who also has high football IQ.

That's a skill set that is in short supply and when you find it you do absolutely everything to hang on to it.

ausbacker Hightower is a priority and I will be pissed if we don't keep him. His contribution to our last two super bowl titles has been huge.

Great leader and big game player, who also has high football IQ.

That's a skill set that is in short supply and when you find it you do absolutely everything to hang on to it.
Very good player, a long-term building block however, if his contract demands are silly, I'm fine with letting him walk. I'd prefer the Patriots kept Hightower but let's not pretend there aren't durability question marks. Mind you, the Patriots have a good grasp on the draft and from my casual reading, it looks like there are some bumper ILBs available.

I'm really not fine with letting him walk.

We let Jones and to a lesser extent Collins go for nothing so we could keep Hightower. He is the cornerstone of our defence and will be critical to maximising our title chances in the remaining years of the Brady era. Considering we are likely to lose Ryan, Sheard, Harmon and have already lost Long, we need to ensure the core of our defence is in tact. Belichick has proven he can bring role players up to speed with our system but we still need the key pieces of the puzzle in place.

I think the origin of my losing Hightower fears stem from my own opinion that we probably only have 1-2 more genuine title shots under Brady. As such, I think we should load up around him (especially on defence).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm really not fine with letting him walk.

We let Jones and to a lesser extent Collins go for nothing so we could keep Hightower. He is the cornerstone of our defence and will be critical to maximising our title chances in the remaining years of the Brady era. Considering we are likely to lose Ryan, Sheard, Harmon and have already lost Long, we need to ensure the core of our defence is in tact. Belichick has proven he can bring role players up to speed with our system but we still need the key pieces of the puzzle in place.

I think the origin of my losing Hightower fears stem from my own opinion that we probably only have 1-2 more genuine title shots under Brady. As such, I think we should load up around him (especially on defence).
Remind me again of how the season finished up. If Belichick lets Hightower walk, he'll have reasons. History has proven he pays players top of the market prices if he wants to keep them and usually, they're homegrown assets. The failed Adalius Thomas experiment saw to that.

We have traded a 4th round pick for Colts TE Dwayne Allen & a 6th round pick.

This would indicate Bennett definitely isn't coming back
Great trade. They've got a younger, cheaper, more athletic Martellus Bennett in a low risk, high reward move. Allen will flourish in New England. Masterful move.

We have traded a 4th round pick for Colts TE Dwayne Allen & a 6th round pick.

This would indicate Bennett definitely isn't coming back

Excellent pick up.:thumbsu:
A very astute pick up and a typical BB move

Huge morning already, FA is moving so damn quickly.

Alan Branch reportedly returning on a 2-year deal
Duron Harmon reportedly returning on a 4-year deal
We have signed Bills CB Stephon Gilmore (reportedly a 5-year deal worth $65 million) - this likely means Logan Ryan isn't returning and would severely complicate things in Butler negotiations.

Saw somewhere that Jabaal Sheard was touring the Dolphins' facility (can't find source right now).

Also,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back