Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you thought on picking up Jason McCourty ?

Personally I don't mind the idea if Butler leaves and then we pick up another CB in the draft after we address TE and pass rush. Deep CB cohort in this years draft .

Thoughts !!!!
Neither here nor there on J.McCourty. I'm at ease with the Patriots retaining Butler for another year or going the route of a "cheaper" McCourty, Revis etc. mainly because of the Patriots Safeties. D.Mac and Harmon are both admirable in their patrolling of the deep field and let's face it, Chung is more Linebacker than Safety these days which allows the Pats to go 4-2-5 against the passing game. Chung comes up and takes the TE leaving the Pats with 4DBs (mix it however you want) meaning the defense can either play straight up man or zone. Harmon's development is one of the major keys here. He's turned into a very good deep field Safety.

CB1 - Gilmore
CB2 - Butler or McCourty/Revis etc.
CB3 - Rowe
CB4/5/6 - Coleman/Jones/Jones

FS - McCourty
SS - Chung
DS - Harmon

That's as good a secondary as we've had in some time, especially knowing teams can easily beat you with their 4th and 5th options in the new NFL.

Mike Gillislee is officially a Patriot after the Bill decline to match the 6.4 million two year offer sheet.

This would tend to indicate that LeGarrett Blount is either done at New England or he is going to be retained at a basement level salary.

LG was a favourite of mine so I will be sorry to see him go.

Mike Gillislee is officially a Patriot after the Bill decline to match the 6.4 million two year offer sheet.

This would tend to indicate that LeGarrett Blount is either done at New England or he is going to be retained at a basement level salary.

We've got a stack of RBs now, with Gillislee, White, Lewis, Burkhead, (I think there's more but I'm half asleep and can't think) - would seem unlikely that Blount is back in Foxborough. He did his job but I do think he often failed to deliver in big moments or critical downs. That said I have loved watching him and will miss him.

We've got a stack of RBs now, with Gillislee, White, Lewis, Burkhead, (I think there's more but I'm half asleep and can't think) - would seem unlikely that Blount is back in Foxborough. He did his job but I do think he often failed to deliver in big moments or critical downs. That said I have loved watching him and will miss him.
Watching Gillislee's highlights, he reminds me of a young Fred Taylor. A young Taylor in New England's offense is a mouth watering prospect.

New Orleans draft a CB with their first pick, which, you'd think, takes them out of a potential play for Butler...

Also means we're little-to-no chance of moving up into the first round
Butler covering slot receivers with Gilmore and Rowe on the outside does me just fine.

In effect, the Patriots draft has been the following:
  1. Trade Round 1 for Brandin Cooks
  2. Trade Round 2 for Kony Ealy
  3. Trade back into mid Round 3 for Derek Rivers, DE
  4. Trade forward into mid Round 3 for Antonio Garcia, OT
The Patriots are having a good old time of it (and I love it).

I like both those picks a lot.
Hope we get a TE tomorrow would be nice if one of Hodges, Butt or Roberts are still on the board at pick # 131.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. Good picks in the mid draft rounds. Would have liked a good fast CB for depth, not across the draft pool to know what's there in that regard, but overall got to be happy with all those moves. Really like Rivers pick.

Lots of opportunities tomorrow to address CB as there are plenty of good CB's still on the board.
CB is probably one of the deepest positions in this years draft.

Watched the presser with Nick Caserio and he commented that whilst they only took four players in the draft they had similar value players on the board , for latter picks , that rather than spend a pick on, they felt they could get then in as UDFA.
He indicated that as many as 20-25 players would be signed.

Also of note after the fourth round they traded the fifth round pick ( 183 ) to Kansas for TE James O"Shaughnessy and pick 216. He was a fifth round pick in the 2015 draft.

True to his word thus far:

Players signed today post draft as UDFA.

Josh Augusta DT 6'4" 300 lbs Missouri
Adam Butler DL 6'4" 293 lb Vanderbilt
Austin Carr WR 6'1" 194 lb Northwestern
Cole Croston OL 6'5" 295 lb Iowa
LeShun Daniels RB 6'0" 225 lb Iowa
Cody Hollister WR 6'4" 210 lb Arkansas
Jacob Hollister TE 6'4" 239 lb Wyoming
David Jones FS 6'3" 210 ib Richmond
DJ Killings CB 5'10" 187 lb Central Florida
Jason King OL 6'3" 305 lb Purdue
Harvey Langi LB 6'2" 251 lb BYU
Kenny Moore CB 5'10" 185 Valdosta State
Greg Pyke OL 6'6" 325 lb Georgia
Max Rich OL 6'7" 315 lb Harvard
Jason Thompson S 6'@' 206 lb Utah
Damarius Travis S 6'1" 206 lb Minnesota
Corey Vereen DL 6'@" 254 lb Tennessee

Hollister brothers identical twins.
Jacob is a former QB now turned TE. Both originally from Oregon they both choose different colleges to play at.

download-4.jpg

Edit 03.05 17 : Pyke has since signed with Buffalo.

Last edited:
Patriots sign former Jets linebacker David "The Hitman" Harris to a 2 year 5 million deal.
Of which 1.25 is guaranteed and with incentives Harris can earn 6.75.

Classic BB move picking up a discard that he sees value in to strengthen an area that they are short on.

Will be nice for Harris to get to inflict some pay back on his former team twice a year.

Patriots sign former Jets linebacker David "The Hitman" Harris to a 2 year 5 million deal.

Classic BB move picking up a discard that he sees value in to strengthen an area that they are short on.

Will be nice for Harris to get to inflict some pay back on his former team twice a year.
Love this pick-up. A good veteran recruit that will bring valuable leadership in the lockeroom, something I really valued about Long last year. He won't play the 95.5% of snaps he got this year, so his age (33) shouldn't a be a huge issue. On to 2017!

Harris is as slow as treacle so he can't cover anyone any more (and his coverage skills even at the height of his powers weren't fantastic), so he's a two down thumper at best. I would have thought the Patriots already had enough middle linebackers.

Given the Jets overpaid Harris for the last three two or three years, not sure what payback he's meant to be inflicting on the Jets.

His only impact games will be against the jets... you know this will be true:p
Looks like HT insurance if he misses a couple/few which has been the trend. Didn't he lead the jets in tackles last year?

LB's-Hightower, Langi, Roberts, McClellin, Van Noy, Harris.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back