Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

Just caught up on the Texans/Panthers games.
Pros: Gronk hasn't shattered yet, Cooks and Brady are going to hook up for massive plays later in the season. Amendola coming back.
Cons: D (obviously), Brady getting hit 500 times a game and Gostkowski still struggling. Looks so far removed from the kicker who had 500 odd good extra points in a row (even if that was before it was pushed back).

Just caught up on the Texans/Panthers games.
Pros: Gronk hasn't shattered yet, Cooks and Brady are going to hook up for massive plays later in the season. Amendola coming back.
Cons: D (obviously), Brady getting hit 500 times a game and Gostkowski still struggling. Looks so far removed from the kicker who had 500 odd good extra points in a row (even if that was before it was pushed back).
Where did that hot-take come from? I actually came away from the game thinking he might've sorted himself out, especially having kicked a career-long 58-yard FG on the stroke of HT

What in the blue f*** is going on with our d? Haven't been able to catch much of the texans/Panthers games but we're conceding 30pts a game across the first month ffs!!

I see Hightower returned, but is there anyone else we're missing? Where are we getting opened up?

What in the blue f*** is going on with our d? Haven't been able to catch much of the texans/Panthers games but we're conceding 30pts a game across the first month ffs!!

I see Hightower returned, but is there anyone else we're missing? Where are we getting opened up?
Hightower only played limited snaps, and mainly in running situations. We're getting little-to-no pressure on the QB and our secondary is a mess. Butler was okay against Carolina but up until then has been out of form, McCourty seems similarly out of sorts while Gilmore is the glaring issue for me. Penalties (some harsh) and blown coverages left, right and centre. It seems to all stem from communication, so hopefully he gets up-to-speed soon.

We probably need to look at a LB that can go with catching HBs too - this isn't Van Noy's suit.

I get the sense this will be the week BB takes the keys away from Patricia. But on a short-week who knows what, if any, difference that will make.

Hightower only played limited snaps, and mainly in running situations. We're getting little-to-no pressure on the QB and our secondary is a mess. Butler was okay against Carolina but up until then has been out of form, McCourty seems similarly out of sorts while Gilmore is the glaring issue for me. Penalties (some harsh) and blown coverages left, right and centre. It seems to all stem from communication, so hopefully he gets up-to-speed soon.

We probably need to look at a LB that can go with catching HBs too - this isn't Van Noy's suit.

I get the sense this will be the week BB takes the keys away from Patricia. But on a short-week who knows what, if any, difference that will make.

Well hopefully the secondary get back some cohesion quickly, because Winston won't be shy of airing the ball.

Some absolutely deplorable situational play down the stretch, and ill-discipline from both sides but fairly happy to take a 13-7 lead into the half. Probably should've turned the Amendola return into a TD but eh.

Pass D has improved a bit but Martin's runs, pretty much straight up the middle, are beyond poor.

Solder still crap. Some talk about battling an injury but whatever's going on it's a huge issue right now.

Hope we can hang on

Pats' player of the game - Folk.

Tense stuff, but the D definitely lifted. Still work to be done but that's a pretty solid effort coming off a short week.

The title of "biggest area of concern" has probably shifted to the o-line, at least for this week. Brady got hammered tonight - can't allow it to keep happening.

Need to get disciplined too. Bucs wouldn't have come close if we played smart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to some grabs after the game it sounded like they never really expected him to play. In saying that, it would be good if Dwayne Allen pulled his finger out

Has dropped every important ball that's come his way & timings been out most other snaps that he's been onfield for. Not a single catch yesterday either.

Hopefully Gronks fit for the Jets.

Where did that hot-take come from? I actually came away from the game thinking he might've sorted himself out, especially having kicked a career-long 58-yard FG on the stroke of HT
I was basing it on the fact that from what I recall most of them barely snuck in, even the 58 yarder bounced off the post.

But yesterday was quite a lot better so you're probably right.

Surprised BB didn't have an aneurysm just before the half. Luckily Folk missed, that was just so stupid.

3-2 Flatters us as it could very easily be 1-4.

Pretty awful and uninspiring first five games TBH.

D as a collective is a real worry even though they were better against Tampa Bay..... I must say that I was expecting the secondary to have been much more functional than it has been, thank goodness that McCourty has played so well otherwise I think we would be in a even poorer situation.... The Butler and Gilmore combination in particular has has been disappointing thus far.

D in general would be nice for some tackles to actually stick and the occasional sack would be appreciated.
Going into the season. the area that I was most concerned with, was the D line and its proving thus far to be a valid concern.

O line protection of TB12 is beyond putrid, I cant believe how often he is getting hit and sacked so far this season.

We need to get our act together ..... and quickly.

We need to go to New York and give the Jets a spanking.

3-2 Flatters us as it could very easily be 1-4.

Pretty awful and uninspiring first five games TBH.

D as a collective is a real worry even though they were better against Tampa Bay..... I must say that I was expecting the secondary to have been much more functional than it has been, thank goodness that McCourty has played so well otherwise I think we would be in a even poorer situation.... The Butler and Gilmore combination in particular has has been disappointing thus far.

D in general would be nice for some tackles to actually stick and the occasional sack would be appreciated.
Going into the season. the area that I was most concerned with, was the D line and its proving thus far to be a valid concern.

O line protection of TB12 is beyond putrid, I cant believe how often he is getting hit and sacked so far this season.

We need to get our act together ..... and quickly.

We need to go to New York and give the Jets a spanking.
Good post.

You're right about our record but I think you can look at it two ways. Yes we could be 1-4 but we're not. We're 3-2 and we haven't even hit second gear - if we can get to the bye week at 5-3 there's plenty of upside in this team to finish the year strongly and make a late run at the SB. I don't think anyone would write off a BB team, despite how historically bad things are right now.

It's a great point you raise about the tackles. So few missed tackles was a feature of the 2016 team

Watched the whole game. It's not pretty at the moment and there are plenty of areas that need fixing. I know the professionalism of the coaches and team can not be questioned over such a long period of time but this season kind of has a Super Bowl hangover feeling about it for me. It's hard to explain but the team has just come off a season where despite injuries to key players (Gronk amongst others) suspensions (TB) and trading key players (Collins, Jones) they were still able to pull off the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history.

I just get the feeling that the missed tackles, the poor protection of TB, lack of interceptions and game changing plays on special teams are all being affected by a slight drop off in intensity and focus. It may only be 2 to 5 % but it's enough to bring us back to being a beatable team.

I think it will change before the season is done but maybe it will take an unexpected beating by a team like the Jets or Miami to shake things up a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back