Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

What’d he say? Something something cliff

Good call on SB hangover

He just annoys me with his continual negativity towards anything concerning the Patriots. l get it, he's a New Yorker who follows the Giants and has openly admitted that he hates the Pats but l for one am over him continually dribbling on about how the Patriots got lucky against Houston and should be 1 and 4. Lucky plays happen in virtually every single game of NFL, a missed field goal here, an interception there, a fumble here or a bad ref call there. The thing that separates the successful teams from the not so successful teams is being close enough in the game to take advantage of these lucky or unfortunate plays depending on who you follow.

I'm not even going to go into the TB cliff business because it's ridiculous. Last year he said TB would fall off the cliff by the end of this season, now he's saying 41 years old, so in effect he's trying to give himself an extra season. At least Molly and Stephen A are clued in enough to pull him up on it.

On top of that you have his continual rant about Rodgers being the best of all time. Ok that's his opinion and it's an opinion show but do we have to hear it every time the Patriots are mentioned?

It's a shame because l like his boxing and NBA analysis and l think he is unfairly treated by Stephen A when it comes to NBA.

he hasn't been wrong about that yet tho has he

and with the hits Brady's been taking I'd say it's getting more and more likely

It's true he hasn't been wrong about anything but he also hasn't been right yet either and if and when he is wrong it will be interesting to see if he admits it.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Massive win being 14-14 at the half and getting the ball back to start the third. If the Jets kept playing how they were before going up 14-0 this game would be over. Instead they tried to drain clock and the run game has just been stuffed.

Brady throwing some ******* stupid throws into double and sometimes triple coverage.

Just need to escape with a 3-point win and get the * outta here

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Well, certainly escaped. Hopefully we can get Gilmore and Rowe back soon, not sure why McCowan didn't go after Bademosi, who was okay but didn't get targeted a lot.

Yet again no pressure on the quarterback, besides the odd corner blitz (Butler) and Hightower stepping up late. Think we need to pull the trigger on a decent pass rusher before the deadline.

Credit to the o-line - didn't allow a sack this week, albeit against a woeful pass rush. But in saying that the Bucs didnt have a sack until we played them.

Definitely think this game was a case of the Jets losing and not us winning. Using two timeouts in the third killed them, and generally going away from McCowan when they went up 14-0 changed the game and allowed us back into it. And that random AF touchback call

Now let's see if Matt Ryan puts up 500 or 600 yards against this D

Yeah they burned way too many time outs and we had 12 on the field. It was pretty poor by both teams overall. Their offense had more success than our just basically lost on that bobble call. Our o line was actually pretty solid today too forgot to mention them. They need to keep improving more tough games coming. Our d today was playing a lot of that annoying bend but don't break stuff but when they applied pressure they had some success. It looked more design but the first quarter was just bad and the last quarter defense gives up way too many points, take away that call

Last edited:
Another unimpressive flat performance.
Still they keep finding ways to win in unsexy ways.

That said a lot and I do mean a.... LOT...... needs to improve if this team is to have any serious chance at the pointy end of the season.

We bleed points defensively like a shotgun wound.

BB and his coaching team have their work cut out for them to galvanise this group as at the moment they look disjoint.

Good to get a win, but it cant hide the fact, it was another crappy performance.

Yeah they burned way too many time outs and we had 12 on the field. It was pretty poor by both teams overall. Their offense had more success than our just basically lost on that bobble call. Our o line was actually pretty solid today too forgot to mention them. They need to keep improving more tough games coming. Our d today was playing a lot of that annoying bend but don't break stuff but when they applied pressure they had some success. It looked more design but the first quarter was just bad and the last quarter defense gives up way too many points, take away that call

This.......... and it's a real worry, has been all season.

The D won't stand up to playoff standard teams, if we cant fix this then any chance of going deep this season are pretty much zilch.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
While it was definitely a sub-par performance I actually think things are moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. The o-line was great today, much improved since the start of the season. We stuffed the run really well too, which has been a problem. As Galactic said above the return to form of Lewis is huge too. There will come a point where we run White and Lewis straddled alongside Brady out of the shotgun and they will wreak havoc on opposing LBs - what team has two LBs that can go with both Lewis and White? Throw Gronk into that set and we're cooking with gas.

Defending the pass was always going to be tough with two starting corners out but we still managed two turnovers. While giving McCowan 300+ yards is ridiculous I think we're definitely trending up. Is it enough to go all the way? I'd never bet against a Belichick team turning it around but there's still plenty of work to do.

This.......... and it's a real worry, has been all season.

The D won't stand up to playoff standard teams, if we cant fix this then any chance of going deep this season are pretty much zilch.

Gotta get fixed before December

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
Holy crap that first quarter was nasty. Secondary, pass rush, run D all terrible. Offence struggling to get going. The offence got going towards the end and when the D was more aggressive the results were much better.

Seriously missing Edelman though for just reliably being able to pick up 5 yards and keep a drive going. We're there even any slot receptions in that whole game?

Told you Gostkowski was struggling Cockliff38 :p

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
We're back, baby!

Excellent all-round performance from the team, dotting the 'I's and crossing the 'T's in all facets. Think it's about a 50-50 split between the defence playing well and Atlanta's offence being lousy. Bademosi and Butler were great in coverage but I think Atlanta should've gone after our slow LBs with their speedy backs in Coleman and Freeman.

Will be fascinating how we use the RBs. Lewis is in top form but there was a stretch in the second where Burkhead was the go-to. Gillislee is obviously the 2017 Blount while White seems like the 2nd+3rd and long pass-catching back.

Still need to become more disciplined but the upward trajectory, finally, is clear. Hopefully we can incorporate Gilmore and Rowe in the coming weeks.

I know Atlanta have been ass this year but I'd be shocked if we won tonight
I am an idiot

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Think it's fair to say the demons of SB51 were at play too. Ryan looked average and some of the decisions (going for it on fourth down twice) were really questionable. Especially the second attempt, which essentially cost them the game. And obviously the playcalls at the goal line in the third - although the game seemed over by then.

On another note; Butler was superb tonight. While Hightower is the heart and identity of this defence I think Butler is the soul. Excellent coverage and tremendous tackles in the open field, especially against the run. Although Julio literally grabbed a TD from his hands, Julio is just a freak and Butler really didn't stand a chance - probably could've batted it instead of gone for the pick but whatever. If THIS Butler can bring this level of play when Gilmore comes back our secondary could finally realise its potential. Worth remembering if not for Butler we probably don't beat the Jets.

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
I think Atlanta should've gone after our slow LBs with their speedy backs in Coleman and Freeman.
I think they should have thrown it at Julio more too. Even though he was in double coverage all the time I reckon he would have been good enough to make heaps of plays anyway.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
I think they should have thrown it at Julio more too. Even though he was in double coverage all the time I reckon he would have been good enough to make heaps of plays anyway.
Reading around before the game that's pretty much the narrative of Atlanta's season - "why aren't we targetting Julio more?".

Starting the game poorly but came into it, Brady got some freedom and the team flowed a **** load more better.

Its the kiss of death for any team that allows Brady to get into any sort of rhythm .

Never give Brady a sniff and make sure you play for every second of the game or otherwise TB12 can bite you on the arse.

Back