Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO the writing is now on the wall that McDaniels takes over as head coach and Nick Caserio as GM once B.B. steps aside , I would assume that the timetable of this also been made clear to JMD.

JMD and Caserio are very close Mates and San Fran tried to get the pair to move to the Bay Area before they got Shanahan and Lynch for the respective roles.
That was the pitch to JMD from Ted York it’s a tag team appointment.
JMD withdrew his interest to concentrate. on last years SB.

In many way Caserio is already the defecto GM at the Patriots.

So how is everyone feeling now a few days have passed?

The day of and after the game i was so flat and just kept replaying all different scenarios in my head, mainly the strip sack and the second fourth down completion.

Since yesterday though the whole McDaniels situation has really helped move on from it. It's refreshing in a way to see fans of other teams on Reddit and other forums complaining about the pats again.

So how is everyone feeling now a few days have passed?

The day of and after the game i was so flat and just kept replaying all different scenarios in my head, mainly the strip sack and the second fourth down completion.

Since yesterday though the whole McDaniels situation has really helped move on from it. It's refreshing in a way to see fans of other teams on Reddit and other forums complaining about the pats again.
100% the McDaniels thing has made me do a 180.

I was flat because not only did we lose (once again, Philly the better team and deserved it), but I genuinely thought the era was over. With McDaniels and Matty P leaving I didn't think it was possible to turn it around on the little time Brady has left. I said this in another thread but we would've been asking Tom to start over with a new OC and a new system, where it would be back to basics or effectively 'grade 1', when comparatively Tom is at an honours-level in the McDaniels system.
But now we have that continuity with Josh and Tom back in place we should be able to contend again - if Tom's form holds true.

I love Matty P but we all know Bill is the brains behind the defence. Get Brian Flores up to speed, and more importantly, bring in some personnel and we should see improvements. Hightower alone returning should be a considerable boost.

I say this all the while fully aware the AFC was complete ass this year and we're going to have to improve regardless.

I say this all the while fully aware the AFC was complete ass this year and we're going to have to improve regardless.
Whole league was really. Injuries were brutal this year.

IMO if we can sure up O line + secondary that'll go a big way to being in with a chance next year. I know our pass rush was nonexistent in the SB but the Eagles O line killed it and Hightower in makes a big difference.

Probably got enough at the receiver/RB positions. could use another TE though (and that's assuming Gronk continues).

For me the O line is the most important grouping in football. An O line playing lights out can make an average (meaning middle of the road, not bad) QB + average receivers look (and play) like superstars and stop negative plays in the run game which helps the passing even more. It's just so critical. Get that right with TB behind them and it takes a lot of pressure off the 'new' D.

Whole league was really. Injuries were brutal this year.

They indeed were and whilst we were hit badly ourselves , injuries to key players on other teams helped us to make it to the SB.

IMO if we can sure up O line :heavycheck::heavycheck: + secondary :heavycheck::heavycheck::heavycheck: that'll go a big way to being in with a chance next year.

Agree we need to address both O and D and simultaneously.
Target the best free agent on both lines.

I know our pass rush was nonexistent in the SB but the Eagles O line killed it and Hightower in makes a big difference.

Our pass rush has been simply woeful since we traded Chandler Jones.
And believe me we need much more than the return of Hightower to come close to making any inroads to improving our front seven.

Probably got enough at the receiver/RB positions. could use another TE though (and that's assuming Gronk continues).

Gronk will be back. Bookmark it.

And yes the receiving core is a real strength ...... also agree another quality TE is a priority. Sadly Allen was a bust this year.

For me the O line is the most important grouping in football. An O line playing lights out can make an average (meaning middle of the road, not bad) QB + average receivers look (and play) like superstars and stop negative plays in the run game which helps the passing even more. It's just so critical. Get that right with TB behind them and it takes a lot of pressure off the 'new' D.

TB has enough weapons already to get a big enough score to win ..... trouble is we bleed ******* point, when it matters, on the D...... and that hurts.
Whilst I am with you on beefing up the O line , that alone wont be enough, to make the difference.

Last time we invested big time in the first round of the draft was 2012 when we took Chanler Jones DE ( Pick 21 ) and then Dont'a Hightower LB ( Pick 25 )
Two year latter we won a super bowl.

O line needs help no doubt but if we can improve the D significantly then our trump card TB12 will find a way to get enough point to win.
We currently make his job harder, by him, having to so often, come from behind to win and most times he comes up with the plays, but as he get older maybe a better strategy is that we should let him ply his trade and know he will get points up , BUT..... make it easier for him to by reducing the point he is fighting against.

I'm not sure the existing O-line needs that much work - they were essentially perfect in the Super Bowl (against a ******* great pass rush mind you) until Graham blew up Mason.

Solder started the season like a revolving door but came good and Mason improved remarkably (probably my most improved aside from Van Noy). The key to the O-line is re-signing Solder and determining if Cannon is healthy (a huge boost if he can comeback). Karras stepped in nicely when needed (aside from the early snap/fumble TD v Dolphins) and Fleming and Waddle were solid when called upon. Thuney is still hot and cold but progressing well and Andrews is a gun.

The other key to the O-line is Scar - but I've mentioned him enough over the last few days that it's starting to sound like a crush.

Isnt solder now a fa?

He is. Also, I read somewhere that Patriots can't assign franchise tag on him either according to his current deal. Short version, if the Patriots want to keep him, it's probably going to cost a lot of $$$.

I think he's a bit of a priority among the FAs. As Cockliff38 said above. The OL is basically OK, but that's assuming Solder stays as well as a couple of other FAs amongst them in Fleming and Waddle. If they can lock Solder down, that will help them concentrate on more pressing areas. If Solder ups and leaves, that's another key area that will need more focussed attention.

He is. Also, I read somewhere that Patriots can't assign franchise tag on him either according to his current deal. Short version, if the Patriots want to keep him, it's probably going to cost a lot of $$$.

I think he's a bit of a priority among the FAs. As Cockliff38 said above. The OL is basically OK, but that's assuming Solder stays as well as a couple of other FAs amongst them in Fleming and Waddle. If they can lock Solder down, that will help them concentrate on more pressing areas. If Solder ups and leaves, that's another key area that will need more focussed attention.
Tony Garcia was drafted to be the heir apparent. The Pats will need to be smart with their cap spending as they're not as flush as last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened with him? Aren’t there a few red flags there with an illness of sorts?

The Red Flag for me is ........... Just what is his illness , its never been disclosed and as such we have no idea if its curtains at none and done or there is a chance that he can play again.

I have nothing more than a gut feeling that if Nate does play next year he will be a Patriot, the question for me ,is more so, does he play on or walkaway from the game and concentrate of family life.

In regard to who we re-sign its going to be interesting to see what we do as we currently only have 13.14 million cap space available.

But there are 6 players that moving on would free up a s**t load more space.

Bennett 6. 187
Allen 5
Branch 4.5
Harris 2.75
Gillislee 2.1
Britt 1.45

( For me Bennett and Allen are most likely to not be on our list next season. The Packers are up for Bennett's guaranteed money so he would be no dead money for us. Allen has be nothing short of a major bust this year which is disappointing. If I had to choose only one to keep it would be Bennett. )

These six players would free up 22 million.
Alternately their contracts could be restructured.

For me Burkhead , Lewis, Dola and Nate are the four that we must keep , also I would like us to keep Harrison as well.

Would be happy to cut Gillislee and Britt, in order to keep the coin to sure up Dola and Lewis.

I can't see Bennett being cut until there is clairty on Gronk

Whilst I agree I also think that the rotator cuff injury may affect him from playing at the same level again.
That said a 3/4 fit Bennett and Gronk in tandem would be quite something to watch.

If Gronk ( 8 million ) walks and Bennett's ( 6.2 million ) shoulder doesn't come up then their is plenty of coin to go after Jimmy Graham who is a FA at Seattle.
Graham has done it all but win a ring and I think the prospect of playing for a contender might just entice him to move.

I think our O-line has come a very long way Andrews, Solder & Mason are all fantastic unfortunately Graham made one good play.

If we can keep our pieces on O

Our defense needs a bit of a make over - we need a butler replacement and Hightower plus others new faces on rushing. Gilmore has now turned into a very solid pick up

27750666_1833346430045370_2787352156965670713_n.jpg

Tony Garcia was drafted to be the heir apparent. The Pats will need to be smart with their cap spending as they're not as flush as last season.

Yeah, keep forgetting about Garcia. I guess I'm just assuming he's not going to make it. If he does, that will be a pleasant surprise.

Good take by Willie on the situation.

Obviously there can be no guarantees for JMD otherwise they open themselves up to punishment from The Ginger Germ as to violations of The Rooney Rule.

But to a certain extent I can understand JMD’s position.

I was born and breed in Perth and for work uprooted my young family and worked in three different States of Australia and three different countries in a 12 year time period. My moves were for career advancement and money , but my family paid a high price for the constant upheaval. When teenage kids have to say goodbye to friends and start again it’s not always easy for them. Also my wife as a professional, starting new jobs and developing new networks, was a big strain on our relationship.
To the point where she is eventually said NO MORE.

Let’s face it JMD is on a couple of million a year and that’s a pretty good salary .
With four school aged kids they would be pretty settled in Boston, which is a pretty good place to live. I would have no trouble raising a family on a couple of million a year in Boston.

JMD has twice before pulled out of HC interview processes , so clearly he isn’t motivated soly by money.

Sure the Indy job gave him tenure / stability and he would have been offered around the six million a year mark.
Once he was offered a new contract at NE that gave him the tenure he was seeking ...... he took it.

He put his family’s wellbeing first over money and I admire him for that.

Sure we can all agree that the timing of the knock back to the Colts offer and the subsequent fall out was not a good look.

But at the end of the day he gets to stay and coach where he wanted to be.
His wife and kids are happy and he still gets to earn some serious coin.

If you take all the emotional,tabloid, knee jerk reactions away the guy simply made a family oriented decision and put both his and his family’s happiness before money.

As for his agents reaction .... pfft.....tosser.
He had a conflict of interest as he is also Ballard’s agent and he was pissed that he missed out on the significant commission ...... Always dangerous when any agent represents , two different parties, in the same set of negotiations and always look for the self interest.

As for JMD......Well.... Some could say :

“ lucky bastard got the best of both worlds”

Last edited:
Am I the only one who preferred the SB 49 win over 51?
I think 49 was more shocking, only because 51 took longer for things to develop, and then at the end you knew we were going to win when we won the coin toss. In 51 we're thinking "well if score here it's two possessions" then "if we convert a 2-pt try we can get it to OT" - it was a slow burn.

Comparatively, in 49 we were consigned to defeat - maybe getting Tom to drive for a tying FG at best. Then Malcolm did what he did and the entire complexion changed in an instant - making it more shocking.

I think 49 was more shocking, only because 51 took longer for things to develop, and then at the end you knew we were going to win when we won the coin toss. In 51 we're thinking "well if score here it's two possessions" then "if we convert a 2-pt try we can get it to OT" - it was a slow burn.

Comparatively, in 49 we were consigned to defeat - maybe getting Tom to drive for a tying FG at best. Then Malcolm did what he did and the entire complexion changed in an instant - making it more shocking.
I think it often gets overlooked that the Pats were 10 points down in 49 with 8 minutes to go. I look at that night as the time Brady officially became the greatest ever, 51 just further enhanced that status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back