Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

With the news that The Cheese Heads are going to hire Matt LaFleur as Head Coach .
That pretty much ensures that McDaniels spays with The Patriots.

Which is alright by me .

Flores will garner some interviews as the Rooney Rule will see to that, I think he will go close but eventually miss out again this time round. Going forward I can see him getting a HC job in a few years .

I think we will keep all our coaches this off season .

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
With the news that The Cheese Heads are going to hire Matt LaFleur as Head Coach .

Which is alright by me .

Flores will garner some interviews as the Rooney Rule will see to that, I think he will go close but eventually miss out again this time round. Going forward I can see him getting a HC job in a few years .

Tbh Flores would be mad to take a HC job after just one year as faux DC

Apr 1, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Patriots, Dodgers, Canucks, MUFC
Snow expected now. Plus the travel factor is a huge advantage for us, despite their amazing road record this year.

What scares me most is Gordon and what their defence showed against the Ravens. Up until that game I would've been comfortable with White dominating their LBs in the passing game but the 7DB sets they were using against the Ravens has the potential to wreak us.

I think our secondary can handle the Charger WRs and Bill will have some stunts against their special teams

Speaking of Gordon, he actually looked really hurt in that Ravens game. Word is he hurt his other knee and he wasn't nearly as explosive as he can be.

Not sure the 7DB formula would work as well against us. That was purely a stop Lamar plan... The one player we should be targetting is Addae. He is absolute trash. Can't tackle for s**t and gets burned easily.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Speaking of Gordon, he actually looked really hurt in that Ravens game. Word is he hurt his other knee and he wasn't nearly as explosive as he can be.

Not sure the 7DB formula would work as well against us. That was purely a stop Lamar plan... The one player we should be targetting is Addae. He is absolute trash. Can't tackle for s**t and gets burned easily.
I actually think the 7DB thing gives them a better chance of stopping White but ultimately that formation comes down to the Chargers front 4. White would (and has) killed their LBs in the passing game, so matching him up with a DB makes sense. Then you've got James who will take a crap on Gronk.

IF the Chargers go with that same scheme we need to establish the run early, dominate their front four and force them out of it. Our run blocking is certainly strong enough to achieve that

Got up at 4.00am to watch the game - got to say, I didn’t expect to see this.
This and the United v Spurs game. Solid morning.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Belichick defends telling Brady to keep passing despite Patriots’ big late lead
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 13, 2019, 5:15 PM EST
GettyImages-1093715264-e1547417706514.jpg

Getty Images

Tom Brady was still in the game, still throwing passes, in the fourth quarter of a game the Patriots dominated throughout today. So why didn’t coach Bill Belichick call off the dogs and rest Brady up for the AFC Championship Game?

Because that’s not the way Belichick does things. Belichick said today that he doesn’t care if everyone thinks he should have pulled Brady, Belichick believes that teams should continue trying to score as long as the game has any conceivable chance of getting close again.

“We’re trying to score until I thought the game got to the point where I thought they didn’t really have enough possessions to catch us. Look, we’ve seen Peyton Manning come back from down 21 points in four minutes and win. So it’s not over until it’s over in this league. I know I’m in the minority on that, but until it’s over you’re trying to score, you’re trying to win, there’s no lead, no 28-point lead, 24-point lead, 21-point lead that’s ever safe in this league. I’ve seen them evaporate,” Belichick said.
Belichick has kept Brady in the game late many times in blowouts, and Brady has always come out unscathed. Belichick isn’t going to change his ways now.

Which is alright by me .

Serious question re the Rooney rule
If we ever each a point where we have 17 African-American coaches.
Would the Rooney rule mean teams would have to go out of their way to interview white coaches?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Great time to pull out the best performance of the year. Gronk might've had one catch but he was unbelievable in the trenches, as was the whole line in minimising Ingram. Winning that battle and establishing the run was effectively the game, but Edelman was big-time too.

Aside from Gilmore getting burnt badly on the Chargers first TD the D was great - particularly up-front in generating decent pressure on Rivers.
Can't see us winning in KC
You forgot about the fins

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I really did jinx that hey.

Serious question re the Rooney rule
If we ever each a point where we have 17 African-American coaches.
Would the Rooney rule mean teams would have to go out of their way to interview white coaches?

I think we know the answer to that and whilst I think it’s a farce and often nothing more than tokenism , I am not against the rule, but there will come a time when it has outlived its usefulness, if it hasn’t already.

Like most things that come out of NFL House often they fail a sensibility and practicality test.

That said I am going to be watching the next round of agreements with the players union and Goddell with interest as I can see a player strike on the cards ........for sure.

There appears to be plenty of bad blood between the players and the League Administration and IMO it’s going to get really ******* ugly.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Great time to pull out the best performance of the year. Gronk might've had one catch but he was unbelievable in the trenches, as was the whole line in minimising Ingram. Winning that battle and establishing the run was effectively the game, but Edelman was big-time too.

Aside from Gilmore getting burnt badly on the Chargers first TD the D was great - particularly up-front in generating decent pressure on Rivers.
Can't see us winning in KC

I really did jinx that hey.
We've been waiting all season to see a dominating performance like that. Up 38-7 before taking the foot off the gas and cruising home with junk time stats for the Chargers, what a damn win. Now, can this team replicate that on the road against a decent Chiefs team? That's the big question.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
We've been waiting all season to see a dominating performance like that. Up 38-7 before taking the foot off the gas and cruising home with junk time stats for the Chargers, what a damn win. Now, can this team replicate that on the road against a decent Chiefs team? That's the big question.
The overwhelming evidence is 'no' - this team is completely different on the road and I'm personally not even entertaining the thought of an upset. We lose this barring some Brady miracle, which is hard to see.

This whole season is going to come down to that freaking Miami game, like 2015

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
As clinical Pats performance as we’ll see. Michel & White completely threw their vaunted front 7 out of kilter & as others eluded, the O line we’re just top shelf opening routes & blocking.

I was worried for our d with the ease they got that first TD, but s**t did we lock down after that. Doubt I’ve seen Rivers more frustrated in his career.

Now to bottle that attitude & execution & take it to KC. They were gifted a win against a soft colts effort, but our road form this year suggests we’ll manage to balls it up.

We’ll wait & see.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
The overwhelming evidence is 'no' - this team is completely different on the road and I'm personally not even entertaining the thought of an upset. We lose this barring some Brady miracle, which is hard to see.

Fair and valid points and even though I don't believe this is an all time great Patriots team, I find it difficult to bet against Brady in the playoffs. 8 consecutive AFC Championship appearances... how spoilt we've been.

Fair and valid points and even though I don't believe this is an all time great Patriots team, I find it difficult to bet against Brady in the playoffs. 8 consecutive AFC Championship appearances... how spoilt we've been.

I can relate to both these two very different perspectives as they both have merit and are plausible , however I tend to agree with Cockliff38 , as I too am expecting a loss but as we all know to well , TB12 is always at his most dangerous when the doubters and naysayers are at their most vocal.

If we do in fact go down at Arrowhead Stadium , I want the Chiefs to go on and win the Lombardi.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

I flipped when we lost down there this year, given how 2015 cost us at Denver.

I will say though we were a one dimensional side then with Lewis/Blount injured & were pretty easy to plan against.

Not so this time, although I have this pang in my gut telling me we’ll just fall short again.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots

That seems to be the consensus, and fair enough too. Though I think an upset is possible, KC are rightly strong favourites.

Hill is going to be nightmare. Even if Pats do what the Pats do and make you play without your best weapon, Hill is so bloody fast AND smart that he can draw double coverage right up the field (because Mahomes can throw it accurately so far) and create space for Kelce and others to use - and Mahomes has shown he doesn't need much opportunity to get it done. On top of that, the aggressive stunt plays that the DL and LBs used against Rivers and Co. are just not going to work against KC and Mahomes. He is just way too mobile. The best they can hope for is making Mahomes work inside a pocket that is as pressured as possible. It's going to take a supremely focused and disciplined effort on the Pat's D to hold that side to a score TB12 and the rest can overcome. It can be done, but the Pats will have to play a near perfect game. Even a fraction of that BS (blown coverages, penalties rubbing out decent plays, getting stuck behind the sticks, missed FGs, dropped easy catches etc.) which we saw often on the road through the year and it will be KC easily winning - and history suggests that is what will happen.

That all said, there isn't a team in the league that would be better prepared that BB's Pats. If it stays tight, KC will feel the pressure and, one could argue, might handle it worse than Pats. Reid can coach, but he has a history of not being fantastic at adjusting mid game. If we make them work hard enough for it, they might give the pats O an opening to get a couple of score breaks and control the game. Going to be fascinating to see how it goes.

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
Couldn't agree more PapaJ especially regarding the sloppy s**t (penalities, drops etc) from the season.

Kind of obvious but the crowd noise is a massive factor. Happened to Rivers last week (manifesting in multiple delay of games) and expecting it to be a factor today.

Anyway, today is one of the few times I'm happy with my job. Working from home to make sure no one interrupts me while the game is on! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back