Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

Defence playing passive, beaten on basic crossing routes running at the sidelines, Mac looked like the noodle arm version of Chad Pennington and overall, the team unable to make the plays when needed (JC dropping a surefire Pick 6). We've still got a long way to go.

Agree.

Have picked a bad time of the season to get the staggers.

Over to you B.B. all very fixable flaws in out current game, but you need to get your arse's into gear ASAP.

Jags @ Home
Fins away.

Not only do we need to win these last two games but we also need emphatic wins.

Not for the first time in recent history we face the "Jekyll and Hyde" Fins, in the last game of the season to determine our playoffs fate.

D just couldn't make a stop all game. D-line lost the battle up front, and the secondary got exposed at times.

Probably Mac's worst game to date, not helped by some awful calls/no calls.

Frustrating that the bye seems to have completely stalled our momentum, but there's time to change that. Still think we can be a dangerous playoff team.

Disappointing stuff. Defense was very ordinary….didn’t get enough pressure on Allen & when we did he stepped around us with relative ease. Just could not get a stop everytime we closed within a score.

Macs accuracy is deserting him at a bad time & needs to get it right these last two games. Drop any of them we & we don’t deserve to playing in the post season.

Disappointing stuff. Defense was very ordinary….didn’t get enough pressure on Allen & when we did he stepped around us with relative ease. Just could not get a stop everytime we closed within a score.

Macs accuracy is deserting him at a bad time & needs to get it right these last two games. Drop any of them we & we don’t deserve to playing in the post season.
He's panicking and throwing off his back foot far too often for my liking mind you, the OL could give him some time to throw and once in a while, the receivers could try gaining separation.

What's apparent is we really, really, really need a very good WR to help Mac along. What hasn't helped is Jonnu Smith has been the worst FA signing of BB's tenure.

He's panicking and throwing off his back foot far too often for my liking mind you, the OL could give him some time to throw and once in a while, the receivers could try gaining separation.

What's apparent is we really, really, really need a very good WR to help Mac along. What hasn't helped is Jonnu Smith has been the worst FA signing of BB's tenure.

It’s a balance of both. He’s either finding blokes wide open & they’re dropping balls cold (N’keal & Jonnu👊) or he’s throwing at their feet when they get separation. O line was looking supreme up until Colts game, so they need to aim up!

Hopefully Jags is a get right game for the O, before the acid test down at Miami who’s D is balling.

Good to see Mac looking assured again which is just what the doctor ordered. Liked the look of Wilkerson too, esp at the expense of N’keal & Stevenson back makes our O so much more dangerous with Harris.

Think we would’ve halved the Bills/Colts games if not won both, had they have both been available.

Last edited:
Good to see Mac looking assured again which is just what the doctored ordered. Liked the look of Wilkerson too, esp at the expense of N’keal & Stevenson back makes our O so much more dangerous with Harris.

Think we would’ve halved the Bills/Colts games if not won both, had they have both been available.
Wilkerson appears to have chemistry with Mac, something that bust Harry has never shown.

Really bad skid since the bye now. Hopefully we can get Dugger and High back next week to bolster the D, but looks like Barmore will be out.

Can't see us doing much damage in the post-season now, but any given Sunday. Unsure if we are a 'good bad team', or the bye killed all of our momentum.

Really bad skid since the bye now. Hopefully we can get Dugger and High back next week to bolster the D, but looks like Barmore will be out.

Can't see us doing much damage in the post-season now, but any given Sunday. Unsure if we are a 'good bad team', or the bye killed all of our momentum.

I see us one and done.

That said, I have enjoyed the marked improvement thats been achieved in 12 months.

Mac Jones is a Franchise QB :whitecheck: .............. once you have got one of them , then as far as moulding a team goes ....... its a lot easier to do.

Once again many thanks to John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan :thumbsu:

Run defence pissweak again, Mac finding it difficult coming home down the stretch, I'll be surprised if we achieve much against Buffalo especially if the D sits back and lets Allen dissect us again but, Wilkerson simply has to play Bill, stop ******* around with the roster and do the obvious.

All in all, we've found some players this year and quietly, hoping next year sees another team-wide improvement.

On this day in 2015 - my favourite play of all time.

I don't have the numbers to back it up but I'm sure this play has triggered the higher use of double pass playcalls across the league in the last few years.
At the time this play was unheard of, which the commentary and analysis indicates.

The game itself was one of wildest in the Brady/BB era. Baltimore came to play and went up by two scores twice before the Pats clawed it back to win and ultimately claim a SB against Seattle. Most remembered for the ineligible receivers and eligible O-linemen completely screwing up the Baltimore D.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t envisage this beatdown, but the defense has been absolutely abysmal since the bye. No pass rush, run D insipid & the secondary which was holding it up finally gave way.

Just not good enough.
Think most thought this season as a one and done tbh.

Rookie QB etc but the future is bright though.

After disastrous playoff loss at Buffalo, what changes will be made in New England?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2022, 2:06 PM EST

Not surprisingly, Patriots coach Bill Belichick did not use the occasion of his press conference the day after the conclusion of his team’s season to announce his retirement. Yes, he will be back in 2022.

But will other changes be made? The worst performance of the Patriots during his time with the team came against a division rival they’d mastered for years, in the first postseason game between the two franchises since 1963. It surely leaves a mark. It surely requires soul searching.

At times during Sunday’s press conference, he seemed to recognize this. At other times, he wanted to regard it as nothing other than 1/18th of a full football season that should be evaluated by considering each game equally.
“I think we have to take a good long look again, not at just one game, but at all 18,” Belichick said. “Last night’s game was the least competitive game that we played last year. So again, is that what we are, or is that a bad night? We’ll see when we start playing again next year, I guess.”

Hopefully, he was being flippant. If he waits until next September to decide whether last night was an aberration or the start of a trend, he will have waited far too long.

over the situation, but unspoken by Belichick or the assembled reporters, is the fact that two of his sons are employed by the team as defensive coaches. Steve is, essentially, the de facto co-defensive coordinator, with Jerod Mayo. And one of the very real problems arising from a coach hiring his son(s) is that, at some point, the coach may have to fire his son(s). But that won’t happen. Steve and Brian Belichick, no matter what they do or fail to do, will never be held to the same standard of accountability that applies to members of the staff who aren’t the sons of Bill Belichick.

That makes it even harder for Belichick to fire anyone after last night’s debacle. Indeed, it’s only a double standard if someone else gets treated differently than the head coach’s kid. If Belichick gives everyone a pass, no one can ever claim he’s playing favorites.

Maybe that’s why Belichick gushed about his coaching staff, despite last night’s unprecedented all-touchdowns-or-kneeldowns disaster.

“The staff’s worked extremely hard,” Belichick said. “These guys are here early, they leave late. They spend a lot of time detailing things out, looking at things in a very, again, detailed and close analysis to try to find an edge, to try to find a key that’ll help their player or that we can use in a schematic way. So, we have obviously coaches that are at very different levels in their coaching career. Some on the back end, some mid-career, some on the early side of their career and I think that’s a good blend and it’s healthy. There are new ideas and there’s a lot of mentoring from some of the older coaches or more experienced coaches with the younger ones and that’s a good thing too. . . . So, some of the younger coaches that are here and even coaches like Josh [McDaniels] and people like that, myself, he’s been here longer than we have. He’s been a great resource and not just in doing his job, but also in helping other people and giving guidance and leadership and just setting a great example on how to work and help the team in any way you can. So, we have a lot of, as I said, younger coaches on the staff in different areas, offense, defense, special teams that are growing and other coaches that have quite a bit of experience that have been in a lot of coaching situations and a lot of big games. So, that’s kind of the blend that we have, and I would anticipate that we would have that going forward. We’ve pretty much had that my entire time here and I think that kind of progression and that mixes of coaches on staff is a good one.”

Kalyn Kahler of Defector.com recently took a look at the nepotism issue in the NFL. It’s also one of the many essay-length chapters in Playmakers, out March 15 but preorder now. Nepotism happens in pro football for, as I see it, three reasons.

One, the teams are owned by families. Many owners who eventually will no longer be owners through the natural process that results in all of us no longer being anything plan to bequeath the franchise to a child or some other family member. It seems hypocritical on the surface for owners to employ family members in advance of giving them the reins and then to tell their coaches that they can’t hire their own kids.

Two, most coaches are rarely around as their children are growing up, working and working and working some more. Once the kids are grown, coach and children become acquainted like never before, spending hours elbow-to-elbow, working on football.

Three, coaches need people on the staff whom they can trust. And if you can’t trust your children, you can’t trust anyone.

The other side of the nepotism coin is that kids who grow up in and around the game learn things about how pro football works. They’re not in awe of it. They understand it. Look no farther than 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan, who soaked up all he could when his father, Mike, coached in the NFL. Kyle would never have become the coach he now is without that unique perspective.

For now, the point is that, even if Bill Belichick were to decide after reviewing what went wrong last night that Brian and Steve Belichick failed miserably to do their jobs to the point at which it would be time for them to find new jobs, it won’t happen. It can’t happen. But it will only become an issue if Bill Belichick starts firing other members of the staff who aren’t his sons.

I mean you'd take a playoff appearance at the start of the year, but the way we finished the season leaves a bitter taste in what should be viewed as a promising year of progress. Need to find out whatever happened at the bye because the team was never the same after the win @ Buffalo. Also think the late bye contributed to key players running out of gas.

Great first year from Mac, and now he gets the chance to go into the off-season as QB1.

Off-season needs
  • Coaching - see what happens with Mayo and McDaniels, but would love us to bring back Judge to address a special teams after a rough year. Flores reunion seems like a pipe dream but would be nice.
  • Defense - The D-line really floundered down the stretch and I think it's time to address a severe lack of speed at the second level. Wait and see what happens with guys like McCourty and Hightower, but might be time to move one of them on.
    • The secondary needs work too, with Jackson out of contract and no real depth to speak of. It's a real shame Williams hasn't worked out because he could have been Gilmore 2.0.
  • O-line - I think the O-line performed well enough but we can't just have Owenu sitting on the bench/playing as a blocking TE. He is way too good for that, and probably time to move on from Wynn.

I mean you'd take a playoff appearance at the start of the year, but the way we finished the season leaves a bitter taste in what should be viewed as a promising year of progress. Need to find out whatever happened at the bye because the team was never the same after the win @ Buffalo. Also think the late bye contributed to key players running out of gas.

Great first year from Mac, and now he gets the chance to go into the off-season as QB1.

Off-season needs
  • Coaching - see what happens with Mayo and McDaniels, but would love us to bring back Judge to address a special teams after a rough year. Flores reunion seems like a pipe dream but would be nice.
  • Defense - The D-line really floundered down the stretch and I think it's time to address a severe lack of speed at the second level. Wait and see what happens with guys like McCourty and Hightower, but might be time to move one of them on.
    • The secondary needs work too, with Jackson out of contract and no real depth to speak of. It's a real shame Williams hasn't worked out because he could have been Gilmore 2.0.
  • O-line - I think the O-line performed well enough but we can't just have Owenu sitting on the bench/playing as a blocking TE. He is way too good for that, and probably time to move on from Wynn.
Like you I would have gladly taken a playoff spot and one and done at the start of the year.

While there is no doubt many isssues to be addressed ( and you raise some really good points ), I think things are not as bad as peeps are making them out to be.

Most teams firstly don’t have a period of dominance such as we have had, so they more quickly have to go the rebuild route.

IMO we are also judged by a higher bench mark as a result of the sustained success and the media’s expectations of us.

We are in the first year of a three to four year rebuild ..... yet in the first year we still managed to make the playoffs ..... that’s impressive.

People need to get their heads around the fact that the rebuild will take a few more years.

The good news is that we already have the most important piece in any teams rubuild and that’s a young top quality rookie QB to help take us forward.

All is not doom and gloom - yes we have areas that need urgent attention and we need to trust that those we have in positions to address them do so efficiently and quickly.

Looking forward to watching the rebuild. 👍

:nflpatriots: GOAT :nflpatriots:

There will only ever be one TB12.
He has now set the benchmark for all future QB's.

As a longtime Patriots fan, a huge thank you.
Enjoy the next chapter in your life.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back