Dannyreed

All Australian
Aug 2, 2018
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
How do you guys seeing the WR room shaping out?
Below are the current rostered guys.
I guess the main question is do we carry 6 or 7. Edelman, Gordon, Harry, Meyers and Slater are locks I would think. So if we go with 6 is the last spot down to Thomas and 'Playoffs' Dorsett? If fit I think Thomas is a great prospect in terms of his ceiling for a very low end contract but Dorsett has been with the team a few years now and when he's been called upon has done his job really well. If we go with 7 are they both going to make it? ??My head tells me that going with both Thomas and Gordon is going to be too risky but I want them both to make the roster, you can't have too many big play making wide receivers can you?

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Thomas looks a good chance to come good, so he's got to be considered in the rotation. Gordon is not a definite yet, though probably will be, albeit on NFI list as I posted above. As we stand, I think Dorsett is in front of him purely because he's more likely to be available. More likely both will be squeezed in.

Talk is with the solid showing so far of Stidham that maybe they would be tempted to drop Hoyer to make room for one more receiver given there's going to be a few injury prone ones in there. Big call, but wouldn't surprise me.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
How do you guys seeing the WR room shaping out?
Below are the current rostered guys.
I guess the main question is do we carry 6 or 7. Edelman, Gordon, Harry, Meyers and Slater are locks I would think. So if we go with 6 is the last spot down to Thomas and 'Playoffs' Dorsett? If fit I think Thomas is a great prospect in terms of his ceiling for a very low end contract but Dorsett has been with the team a few years now and when he's been called upon has done his job really well. If we go with 7 are they both going to make it? ??My head tells me that going with both Thomas and Gordon is going to be too risky but I want them both to make the roster, you can't have too many big play making wide receivers can you?
Locks - Edelman, Gordon, Harry, Dorsett, Slater
Close - Thomas, Meyers, Berrios, Harris
IR - Meredith

Dannyreed

All Australian
Aug 2, 2018
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Don't flatter yourself, our backup qbs have been an embarrassment all preseason.
Yeah that's especially concerning considering Cam was in a moonboot. That's brutal if you guys have another season decimated by a Cam injury. Time to trade for Fitzmagic?? or maybe McCaffrey can run a wildcat style offense, he can do pretty much anything else so why not lol
Brian Burns looked impressive hadn't seen much of him until today but he looks good.

Your starting QB, statistically speaking, was as impressive as your back ups.

Lol for various reasons. I'm sure you're smart enough to work out some of them.

Yeah that's especially concerning considering Cam was in a moonboot. That's brutal if you guys have another season decimated by a Cam injury. Time to trade for Fitzmagic?? or maybe McCaffrey can run a wildcat style offense, he can do pretty much anything else so why not lol
Brian Burns looked impressive hadn't seen much of him until today but he looks good.

No point of trading for a vet when Cam's in the final year of his contract, we aren't winning a title with Fitz. If Cam's going to be out long term this season we might as well suck with our current backups and find our QB of the future in the draft.

Burns was good. Still pretty bummed out right now tho.

Pats :nflpatriots: looking pretty good against the Giants :nflgiants:.

Thomas has 2 TD's and its only the first half of the second quarter ....... Gordon back and contributing.

Stidham ........... looking like a great pick up..... reckon Hoyer is under real pressure to keep the back up role.
Loved the 19 yard scramble straight up the middle, Stidham is a pretty mobile QB.

Brossette having a very good game.

With Thomas's contribution a lot of opposition DC will be going oh s**t.... he and Gordon in tandem are going be a handful.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Pats :nflpatriots: looking pretty good against the Giants :nflgiants:.

Thomas has 2 TD's and its only the first half of the second quarter ....... Gordon back and contributing.

Stidham ........... looking like a great pick up..... reckon Hoyer is under real pressure to keep the back up role.
Loved the 19 yard scramble straight up the middle, Stidham is a pretty mobile QB.

Brossette having a very good game.

With Thomas's contribution a lot of opposition DC will be going oh s**t.... he and Gordon in tandem are going be a handful.

That’s great news!!

Gees if we get those two going in the receive corp, Brady’s gonna have a fun year.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Thomas looks to have recovered well from that Achilles injury, so good to see Gordon out there too
Veterans: Edelman, Gordon, Thomas, Dorsett, "Slater"
Rookies: Harry, Meyers
Injured: Meredith

Call me optimistic but with size and positional variety, that has the potential to be the best WR group in the NFL. Whether it pans out that way is to be determined. Hopefully the guys at TE establish themselves sooner than later because I have every faith Scar will keep the OL rolling.

Dannyreed

All Australian
Aug 2, 2018
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Veterans: Edelman, Gordon, Thomas, Dorsett, "Slater"
Rookies: Harry, Meyers
Injured: Meredith

Call me optimistic but with size and positional variety, that has the potential to be the best WR group in the NFL. Whether it pans out that way is to be determined. Hopefully the guys at TE establish themselves sooner than later because I have every faith Scar will keep the OL rolling.
Yeah no reason if all these guys are going this can't be the best group of WR's which is funny considering we were thought to be a run heavy team going into this season, so with all these wideouts will that change?
Also won't be surprised if the Pats pick up an old friend in Dwayne Allen to come in as a blocking tight end, seems like he's not sticking in Miami for whatever reason and may get cut.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Yeah no reason if all these guys are going this can't be the best group of WR's which is funny considering we were thought to be a run heavy team going into this season, so with all these wideouts will that change?
Also won't be surprised if the Pats pick up an old friend in Dwayne Allen to come in as a blocking tight end, seems like he's not sticking in Miami for whatever reason and may get cut.
Pass heavy, run heavy, happy with whatever approach the Pats take as it keeps variability in play.

I bet London to a brick that BB picks up at least one TE after the weekend cull by all 32 teams.

The list is not complete yet, but once it is , I will be looking interestedly on who might be a cheap back up in the TE position.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Hoyer released, Stidham done enough to be the sole backup.

Brady never sits out, so probably not a big deal in the scheme of things, but BB has got to rate the kid to let a proven team friendly backup QB go like Hoyer. He still will eat some 1.5mil of the cap too (unless another team picks him up), so interesting stuff.

Not really paying attention to the league broadly, but got to be high chance Hoyer gets picked up - or maybe back to Pats when the dust settles?

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Hoyer released, Stidham done enough to be the sole backup.

Brady never sits out, so probably not a big deal in the scheme of things, but BB has got to rate the kid to let a proven team friendly backup QB go like Hoyer. He still will eat some 1.5mil of the cap too (unless another team picks him up), so interesting stuff.

Not really paying attention to the league broadly, but got to be high chance Hoyer gets picked up - or maybe back to Pats when the dust settles?
The stark reality is with Brady, the Pats are perennial Super Bowl contenders and without him, they're a good team. The Hoyer/Stidham situation makes sense.

Dannyreed

All Australian
Aug 2, 2018
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Interesting to see we cut Demaryius Thomas. Multiple reports are suggesting it might be temporary but given that we cut Hoyer and traded to CBs I would’ve thought we’d have room to keep him. My guess is they will wait to see which of the new O lineman stick and then drop one to bring Thomas back

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Interesting to see we cut Demaryius Thomas. Multiple reports are suggesting it might be temporary but given that we cut Hoyer and traded to CBs I would’ve thought we’d have room to keep him. My guess is they will wait to see which of the new O lineman stick and then drop one to bring Thomas back

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They've done this in the past most notably, with Ross Ventrone who was cut and re-added by the Patriots at least 21 times.

Back