Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Is he a viable option though?? Which young QB drafted in the last 5 years has had any success without being a threat as a runner?
Jones is plug and play Brady-esque. The role of the QB is to find the mismatches and deliver the ball on time and where it should be, scrambling is way down the list of priorities in our system. Jones may not be the most physically gifted Qb but he's perfect for what we need and do.

Happy with the pick.

Nothing sexy but a very typical Patriots like QB.

Very pleased we stayed put and didn’t trade up and give up latter picks.

Like the pick 👍

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
So happy with Jones. He’s made for a JMD offense. just need to improve at WR and we have a good team again.
OT/WR/CB have to be the priority selections moving forward, not particularly fussed in which order.

Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith open up the O for Jones. I have every faith he's going to become a star in New England and if he's ready day 1, give him the keys mind you, I believe BB will give Cam every opportunity to win the role.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
OT/WR/CB have to be the priority selections moving forward, not particularly fussed in which order.

Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith open up the O for Jones. I have every faith he's going to become a star in New England and if he's ready day 1, give him the keys mind you, I believe BB will give Cam every opportunity to win the role.
Cam may very well start next season, but I think he would be a good mentor for Mac. Similar to what Smith was to Mahomes

Love the Barmore pick, extremely good value there and at his best, a disruptive monster at DT.

Powerful beast is Barmore.

Typical BB front seven acquisition.

Like our first two picks.

WOW Just added Ronnie Perkins.

BB going real old school Patriots with what he is putting together in the D line.

He is building another monster Defence.

:):):)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bill Belichick: Patriots don’t just grade players, draft evaluations are more complex
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 1, 2021, 7:25 AM EDT

Patriots coach Bill Belichick offered some lengthy insight into how the Patriots grade players in the NFL draft. Namely, they don’t.

Belichick says the Patriots’ evaluations aren’t about giving them a numeric grade but instead are about getting a full picture of each player the team is interested in drafting.

“Not trying to be evasive about the grading and all that, but I would just say that we don’t grade players like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. That’s just not, it’s just not the way we do it,” Belichick said, via MassLive.com. “We use a combination of numbers, letters, colors and those things all have different meanings, depending upon what they would indicate about the player’s circumstances or situation or whatever it is that involved the players. And all the players are different and a lot of them, you know, in the end there really aren’t that many of them that come to the school, play their career there, and leave. There’s things that happen in between and a variety of circumstances and so we have ways to identify those. So sometimes the color’s going to override the number, sometimes the letter is going override the numbers or the colors and so forth.

“And so it’s not, you know, this guy’s at an 85 and this guy’s at an 83, it just doesn’t work like that. There’s a number, a color, possibly a letter or letters that go with those players and those things could all, depending upon what they represent, could all override something else that’s a part of the grade. So it’s just really the way we identify the player and tag the player is one that helps us classify.

“It’s just too hard to generalize and give a player an 85 grade or whatever and then, like what does that mean? But if you can tag that grade, that number grade, whatever it is, with something that would indicate other things regarding injuries or how many schools he’s been to or whether he was a transfer or if he came out early or if he switched positions or so forth and so on, played at a lower level of competition, I mean, there’s dozens of things here that we could talk about. It becomes a pretty complex scale.

“So not trying to ignore with him what it is, but it would be impossible for me to sit here and explain the grade scale and how it works and interacts and all that. That takes, honestly, you know, months of, I would say, understanding between the scouting department and working through a lot of different situations to really be able to utilize it effectively so we can categorize players in the right, in what we feel is the right fashion. Not saying it’s right, but we do it so that we can identify things and have ways to work through players and their situations to try to have as fair and as good an evaluation on them as we can.”

Belichick also said he doesn’t draft for positions of need, but instead drafts good football players at any position.

“I would say I’ve never gone into a draft saying, like, well, we got to draft somebody or other at this position or this group of positions or whatever,” Belichick said. “It’s sometimes those players are there and sometimes they’re not. Sometimes they’re there and you can really use them and sometimes they’re there and maybe you don’t feel that it’s as necessary, but then when you get good players on your team inevitably you use them.

“So I’ve heard that before: Why did you draft James White and he’s inactive all year? And why did you draft Damien Harris and he was inactive all year? And then later on the next year and in the course of their careers those guys have, those are examples of guys that became very valuable. So that’s — I think you try to acquire good football players and we’ll figure out how to use them.”

Despite his reputation for grumbling and being short with the media, when Belichick gets to talking about football, he’s as quotable as any coach in the NFL. In a few hundred words, he offered significant insight into how the Patriots do business in the draft.

Bill Belichick: Patriots don’t just grade players, draft evaluations are more complex
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 1, 2021, 7:25 AM EDT

Patriots coach Bill Belichick offered some lengthy insight into how the Patriots grade players in the NFL draft. Namely, they don’t.

Belichick says the Patriots’ evaluations aren’t about giving them a numeric grade but instead are about getting a full picture of each player the team is interested in drafting.

“Not trying to be evasive about the grading and all that, but I would just say that we don’t grade players like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. That’s just not, it’s just not the way we do it,” Belichick said, via MassLive.com. “We use a combination of numbers, letters, colors and those things all have different meanings, depending upon what they would indicate about the player’s circumstances or situation or whatever it is that involved the players. And all the players are different and a lot of them, you know, in the end there really aren’t that many of them that come to the school, play their career there, and leave. There’s things that happen in between and a variety of circumstances and so we have ways to identify those. So sometimes the color’s going to override the number, sometimes the letter is going override the numbers or the colors and so forth.

“And so it’s not, you know, this guy’s at an 85 and this guy’s at an 83, it just doesn’t work like that. There’s a number, a color, possibly a letter or letters that go with those players and those things could all, depending upon what they represent, could all override something else that’s a part of the grade. So it’s just really the way we identify the player and tag the player is one that helps us classify.

“It’s just too hard to generalize and give a player an 85 grade or whatever and then, like what does that mean? But if you can tag that grade, that number grade, whatever it is, with something that would indicate other things regarding injuries or how many schools he’s been to or whether he was a transfer or if he came out early or if he switched positions or so forth and so on, played at a lower level of competition, I mean, there’s dozens of things here that we could talk about. It becomes a pretty complex scale.

“So not trying to ignore with him what it is, but it would be impossible for me to sit here and explain the grade scale and how it works and interacts and all that. That takes, honestly, you know, months of, I would say, understanding between the scouting department and working through a lot of different situations to really be able to utilize it effectively so we can categorize players in the right, in what we feel is the right fashion. Not saying it’s right, but we do it so that we can identify things and have ways to work through players and their situations to try to have as fair and as good an evaluation on them as we can.”

Belichick also said he doesn’t draft for positions of need, but instead drafts good football players at any position.

“I would say I’ve never gone into a draft saying, like, well, we got to draft somebody or other at this position or this group of positions or whatever,” Belichick said. “It’s sometimes those players are there and sometimes they’re not. Sometimes they’re there and you can really use them and sometimes they’re there and maybe you don’t feel that it’s as necessary, but then when you get good players on your team inevitably you use them.

“So I’ve heard that before: Why did you draft James White and he’s inactive all year? And why did you draft Damien Harris and he was inactive all year? And then later on the next year and in the course of their careers those guys have, those are examples of guys that became very valuable. So that’s — I think you try to acquire good football players and we’ll figure out how to use them.”

Despite his reputation for grumbling and being short with the media, when Belichick gets to talking about football, he’s as quotable as any coach in the NFL. In a few hundred words, he offered significant insight into how the Patriots do business in the draft.

That's Bill to a tee, more than happy to talk football if the intent of the question in to seek footballing knowledge.

HOWEVER.

It you are after a short glib headline and want a quirky side story for a media piece, with a throw away line ... then you get the standard BB reply, which sort of goes like this:

" Ask a silly question,............ you get a silly answer. "

Bill doesn't suffer fools lightly.......never has......... never will.

Anyway: we are moving on to Cincinnati next week.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Colour me optimistic but outside of the bottom end of WR and CB, I'm struggling to pick holes in the roster. That's not to say the team can't and shouldn't try to improve through trades or releases (Jamison Crowder, I'm looking at you) but BB the GM has done a masterful job through Free Agency and the NFL Draft this season.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
Colour me optimistic but outside of the bottom end of WR and CB, I'm struggling to pick holes in the roster. That's not to say the team can't and shouldn't try to improve through trades or releases (Jamison Crowder, I'm looking at you) but BB the GM has done a masterful job through Free Agency and the NFL Draft this season.
I mean Jones hasn’t even thrown a pass yet, and we all know how Cam went last season. Also big question on how Hightower comes back and Van Noy didn’t exactly do well in Miami so LB is uncertain.

I mean Jones hasn’t even thrown a pass yet, and we all know how Cam went last season. Also big question on how Hightower comes back and Van Noy didn’t exactly do well in Miami so LB is uncertain.

arrghh

The yin and the yang ausbacker's glass half full countered by james Dean's glass half empty.

I see it more like ausbaker.

Pleased with the draft haul and when added to our free agents, I see us back in playoffs contention again.

But thats just me I look for the best in even the " shityest " of situations.

Back