Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
An uncharacteristically objective article by the hack.

Major points...

- Gillon McLaclan has toured the short listed sites for the new base and will be leading the negotiations with governments and other sources of funding.
- The AFL is chipping in about $4 million towards it themselves
- The AFL is also exploring options to boost our TV coverage in order for us to increase our appeal to sponsors. They have mooted giving us a standalone round to ourselves to kick off the season next year, similar to who happened with GWS and Sydney this year.

All in all, it's nice to hear the AFL affirm that they see us as an important part of the national competition and that they have our back.

I remember expressing to Angus Johnson a year or so ago that I was a little annoyed at how the club seemed to do nothing but applaud as the AFL set up the Suns and cannibalised our market. He implied that a lot was going on behind closed doors and that once the expansion sides were up and running that the AFL was committed to ensuring that the Lions would be in a good position. I think it has begun.

Great to hear, and did like that even though it was a mostly fact-filled article, Hammo still worked in 'the struggling Lions' - in the print edition, at least.

Andy D said similar things a few months ago on radio, so I think we'll be fine in the long run. They need us to be successful again, and hopefully we're on the way to achieving that. New training and admin base certainly won't hurt.

An uncharacteristically objective article by the hack.

I remember expressing to Angus Johnson a year or so ago that I was a little annoyed at how the club seemed to do nothing but applaud as the AFL set up the Suns and cannibalised our market. He implied that a lot was going on behind closed doors and that once the expansion sides were up and running that the AFL was committed to ensuring that the Lions would be in a good position. I think it has begun.
Amazing when the characteristically - "it is believed" or "sources suggest" is missing from his story the information tend to grow legs to stand on... this reads well!

Does anyone know of the possible sites? I tend to drive around town and see sites and think, "this would be alright." For instance, big parcel of land on the corner of Colmslie and Lytton rd in Balmoral/Cannon Hill. Don't forget the boys will be rather upset if they're too far away from their homes and more importantly fav coffee shops........oh wait that's just St Kilda!

Does anyone know of the possible sites? I tend to drive around town and see sites and think, "this would be alright." For instance, big parcel of land on the corner of Colmslie and Lytton rd in Balmoral/Cannon Hill. Don't forget the boys will be rather upset if they're too far away from their homes and more importantly fav coffee shops........oh wait that's just St Kilda!

When you say St Kilda's fav coffee shops did you mean high schools? :rolleyes:

I still reckon redoing Giffin Park would be a great idea. I love the Coorparoo area, plus it's nice and close to the Gabba. With the space they'd have around there it'd be a pretty good place to set up camp IMO.

Great to hear, and did like that even though it was a mostly fact-filled article, Hammo still worked in 'the struggling Lions' - in the print edition, at least.

Andy D said similar things a few months ago on radio, so I think we'll be fine in the long run. They need us to be successful again, and hopefully we're on the way to achieving that. New training and admin base certainly won't hurt.

Can't hide that fact Patty. What is he to say? “The successful Lions”.
However it is a good positive article for the club.
The link in on-field success with better TV coverage, better sponsorship deals etc... does not escape scrutiny. Quite rightly.

Does better media coverage involve banishing Hammo to Syria? Because I would support that.

Things are already tense there, we don't want to spark an international incident!

Send him to New Zealand. We'd be happy to trade of Daniel Vettori (not quite as gorgeous as Joelly, but he wears glasses. 'Nuff said).

This line caught my eye.

Brisbane ranked ninth in football department expenditure on $17.4 million, $1.5 million less than Collingwood.

Have we been getting good value for our money?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Gillon McLaclan has toured the short listed sites for the new base and will be leading the negotiations with governments and other sources of funding.
- The AFL is chipping in about $4 million towards it themselves
- The AFL is also exploring options to boost our TV coverage in order for us to increase our appeal to sensors. They have mooted giving us a standalone round to ourselves to kick off the season next year, similar to who happened with GWS and Sydney this year.

All in all, it's nice to hear the AFL affirm that they see us as an important part of the national competition and that they have our back.

Wow. This is fantastic news. I am actually speechless at the moment.

I think it is great that the lions are getting funded because in queensland there ar heaps of nrl fans which makes it hard to recruit good players in queensland. if they can watch it on tv they will enjoy the sport more.:)

I think it is great that the lions are getting funded because in queensland there ar heaps of nrl fans which makes it hard to recruit good players in queensland. if they can watch it on tv they will enjoy the sport more.:)
Welcome to the board, JMan5. Glad to have you on :thumbsu:

Agreed, the coverage does influence the kiddies. There was a bit of an influx during our premiership years which is still being felt today, but we do need more. Success will ensure a bit more coverage.

Yeah Haso that quote suggests they want this training base sooner rather than later. I'd assumed maybe 2015 we'd see it's first year, but maybe halfway through 2014 if they get the ball rolling now.

Seriously impressed by Gillon that he's toured the sites. That's more committ"In terms of attracting a marquee player to Brisbane, without a shadow of doubt it is clear the facilities at the Gabba are not adequate," he said commitment than I was expecting. Much more.

Welcome to the board, JMan5. Glad to have you on :thumbsu:

Agreed, the coverage does influence the kiddies. There was a bit of an influx during our premiership years which is still being felt today, but we do need more. Success will ensure a bit more coverage.

I've been really frustrated with, in terms of TV coverage, all games being on 7mate. Sure, it makes sense from a marketing perspective, but the game had so much more exposure up here when Ten had two games a weekend, and always our game, on their primary channel. It really does make a difference, as that entices in channel flickers, yet the digital multichannels don't do that to anywhere near the same extent.

Really hope we can get this rolling ASAP. How good would it be to have facilities on par (or better) with other clubs.

Just an FYI, I believe the NRL has targetted Gillon to become their CEO after Gallop, so maybe we need Andy D himself to come and inspect our sites :)

If Gillon is handed the NRL CEO job, he will then have intimate knowledge of the shortlisted sites and plans to help the Lions be more successful.

Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back