Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

The oval will be for AFL and Cricket size so this is the time to make the ground the exact size of the MCG
With a complete rebuild this should be acceptable for both AFL and Cricket. Just need to get design firms on board early
You don't spend $1.5 Billion to accommodate an athletics track that won't ever be used again
Most likely to be built so it can be easier converted for large concerts to make the venue profitable

First things first, and that's the shape.
MCG
MCG

162m
139m
The two arenas are very subtly different. For just the second time in the AFL era the MCG will not host the grand final - it is 139 metres wide and 162 metres long.
The Gabba
Gabba

156m
137m
The Gabba is one of the smallest grounds in the AFL at 137 metres wide and 156 metres long. That makes it ever so slightly skinnier than the MCG. So in a game of angles how does that affect where the goals are scored?
Slightly longer and narrower (like Optus) makes for better footy (pockets not so deep) and is much, much better for concerts - as you can have the crowd on both wings, unlike MCG, which rarely hosts concerts because the wings are too far away and they usually only play to one wing.

The most commonly commented on shape oddity of the Gabba is its deep pockets. The MCG narrows more rapidly as you head towards the goal. So it's harder to have a shot from the pockets than at other games.
Possibly true. The below article link is where i copied/paste the image & size of the grounds
This article goes into detail where goals are scored for both The Gabba & MCG in regard to the then upcoming AFL 2020 GF

The point of my post was in reply to an athletics track from Walshawk. So just used the images and size as a reference point
This is the chance for AFL & Cricket to get a ground exactly the same size the MCG
The Lions rarely play where the GF is played.

Slightly longer and narrower (like Optus) makes for better footy (pockets not so deep) and is much, much better for concerts - as you can have the crowd on both wings, unlike MCG, which rarely hosts concerts because the wings are too far away and they usually only play to one wing.
Regarding concerts at the MCG it was designed a long time ago
Just my opinion regarding design for concerts.
However a new stadium will not be a profitable one if no design for other revenue generating alternatives

Been checking the progress daily on the time lapse camera.

Doing some what appears to be cutting around the oval for level , drainage.
Few service pipes going in over the last two weeks just in front of the camera , around the road, also the large block rock retaining walls have been built.
It would be good to get the plans on it , so you could piece the puzzle together. Plenty of work on the creek side(right side of oval), going on as well.
Camera not on today.
Might take drive out there in a month or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horse misstreatment on live television accross the world.
Probably not as bad as the article states.
Articles that find comments on social media to fit the narrative i can do without
Just state the facts as you witnessed the event and give your opinion on horse treatment

No one want to see horses or animals treated badly

Regarding the event itself i can see an easy fix
The draw for the horse should be done say 1 week before so riders get to know and practice with the horse
Don't think most athletes would argue with a rule change.
It would also reduce the risk factor for both horse and rider. Not to mention years of preparation down the drain that could be easily fixed
With animal welfare a big issue i think a change of rule would be welcome

For those interested below times for the men's competition.
May not get on the broadcast main channels though

3.30pm – Modern Pentathlon – Swimming: 200m Freestyle (Edward Fernon)
4.45pm – Modern Pentathlon – Fencing (Edward Fernon)
6.15pm – Modern Pentathlon – Riding Show Jumping (Edward Fernon)
8.30pm – Modern Pentathlon – Laser Shoot & Run 3200m (Edward Fernon)

Like myself i assume most on this thread don't know much about the event

Yes I'm still off topic.

At the commonwealth games (got it right this time) we bought tickets for everything that was $15 or under and still available the week before it started. Wrestling, table tennis, athletics heats.

By far the best event was the lawn bowls final. Never thought I'd say that sentence, but it was fun. The crowd was small with no dignity, so crazy level of support. And the young Australian male player was very aggressive so balls kept getting smashed out of the park.

If definately go again. To lawn bowls. Not soccer. 😁
Lawn bowls is a great game ,young players are playing it with great skill and excitement .
If you know the rules it is a great game to watch at top level .

Lawn bowls is a great game ,young players are playing it with great skill and excitement .
If you know the rules it is a great game to watch at top level .

My 13 to daughter plays at school and has been invited to play durning holidays. She loves it, wants a weeknight youth league to play in.

Decided to watch the Modern Pentathlon for something different
From photo above
Pool would have had to be assembled and taken down after event as competition was in main stadium
The bridge like structure on right was where they had the fencing. Sort of covered in case of rain. Was some showers during overall competition
The green like track to the left of screen was where they set up the laser shooting part of the Laser & Run
The 800 meter track was laid out throughout the ground like a cross country run after the horse jumping arena mostly taken down
Their were 36 competitor's of which the Ausie finished 31st
The 200 meter swim
All about your time and points allocated. Six lanes so 6 heats

Fencing
Sort of round robin
This is not a spectator sport. It is impossible to know who got a point. Plus boring as hell to me
Only watched a few bouts then set alarm for horse jumping

Horse Jumping
Fairly interesting
They use showjumping horses that are used to clearing much higher jumps then they have in Modern Pentathlon
80 seconds to complete ride. Penalty points for knocking over fences and time outside 80 seconds
Lowest ranked go first. Horses actually have two runs but with different riders
The horses are later paired with the top 16 ranked. So the top 16 get to see how their horse goes with another rider
This can be good or bad depending how the horse goes in the first run
I can now see how the carnage can happen as with the women the previous day
However with the men i did not see any issue with horses being treated badly

Laser & Run 3200 meters
For me the most interesting as it is like a handicap race
Track 800 meters but not round like athletics. So, 4 circuits like cross country with some hill ramps installed
Laser shoot is you have to register 5 hits before you can continue running. Their are 4 laser shoot stops

To start the race the athlete with the most accrued points goes first and wears number 1
Our guy was ranked 29th so number 29. However his delayed starting time was 2 minutes behind number 1
Considering the winner clocked 11 minutes 17 seconds our guy and half the runners had no hope of a medal

Turned out an interesting race as numbers 1 to 4 were among the leaders for all bar the last 400 meters.
Then out of know where came number 13. Not sure what his time delay was. He quickly got on the heels of number 1 the Brit.
Then 13 got about 10 meters clear at the 200 meter mark and it looked all over
However number 1 the Brit fought back and eventually won by about 20 meters
In summary would i go to The Reserve in 2032 if i am still alive by then
NO: It would be a long day to watch one competition

No
My point i suppose is i would spend money to go see say athletics.
You can watch many events and different athletes compete over a day/night session.
No point in extending the stadium to fit 20000 for an event such as this, simply can’t see enough people wanting to go and watch it.
It would certainly be at the bottom of my priority list that is for sure.

Starting to build some of the structures.
Looks like part of the structure to the right side (creek side) is the I think southern ? stand.
Then to the other end from the camera there is heaps of Scaffold , which is to build either part of the main stand, club area or the indoor training facility.
Bit hard as I don't have palns , just looking at the final render image.
Plenty happening since a week ago.
So far most of it looks pre fabricated concrete structures, so probably go up fairly quick.

Starting to build some of the structures.
Looks like part of the structure to the right side (creek side) is the I think southern ? stand.
Then to the other end from the camera there is heaps of Scaffold , which is to build either part of the main stand, club area or the indoor training facility.
Bit hard as I don't have palns , just looking at the final render image.
Plenty happening since a week ago.
So far most of it looks pre fabricated concrete structures, so probably go up fairly quick.
Image to add to your comments

1629076476011.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back