Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

** On the board & Chairman for many years? Try four & imo four very poor years so far as Club performance goes.
Could hardly put the club’s poor on field performance on him!
And off field the club have performed far better during his time than the previous management.

I find it amusing that you attribute altruistic motives to a Land Corporation which has had close dealings with the Ipswich City Council. The Ipswich City Council LMAO.

Developer called before CCC hearing
joelgould-1c31psps1rll94089i2_ct30x30.jpg

by jgould

20th Apr 2017 8:41 AM

SPRINGFIELD Land Corporation deputy-chairman Bob Sharpless has been called to appear before the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) public hearing.
The CCC has updated its witness list and Mr Sharpless is slated to appear on Thursday, April 27 at the hearing which will investigate the conduct of candidates in the Ipswich, Moreton Bay and Gold Coast local government elections in 2016.

** On the board & Chairman for many years? Try four & imo four very poor years so far as Club performance goes.

So I'll take that as no you don't have an explanation. But hey thanks a lot for replying to my question and not deflecting through sarcasm or anything. Good chat

It’s similar to the AFL’s decision to expand onto the Gold Coast with the Suns, it’s a timed play. Wait for a decent amount of years as this new construction has new industry/retail/suburban structures around it, these will then amp the price of the neighbourhood, they will then make more money.

Even announcing the construction of the new base helps with their overall goal.
Yes I'm not an idiot I am able to grasp the concept of future returns. Bit still given those returns rely on them selling land, even if the lions were to attribute an extra $10,000 per house to the price (I'm being generous) we're still talking 2500 house sites to just break even. Look I've got no doubt they will get a benefit I just think it's being wildly exaggerated by most.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can you get any benefit from Government money to build/develop something without it lining someone's pockets to some extent?

How many politicians get personal donations from donors wanting legislation passed or pushed? For agendas that make the donor money?

Ain't nothing clean in political funding.

I mean ... we get a new training/admin centre and an AFLW home. Cool?

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well I am. I lived there for years & know what it was about; tyranny. I doubt you have the foggiest.

Springfield wow, the place the Club got only because we have a team in the Women's League.
Didn't we have a bloke on the board for one year when this was being formulated & then he left because of conflict of interest?
I believe Springfield is the location because it has added millions to a few pockets.
That is a serious allegation to make. Bob Sharpless was our Club President at a time when we seriously needed stability. He stood down because the perception of a "conflict of interest" was always going to cloud the Springfield decision and perhaps compromise funding. He did the right thing and I think it is time to give him the benefit of the doubt. For one, I am grateful for his significant service to the Lions...

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sharpless > Angus > Pinkister (or whatever his name was)
Absolutely!
How can I ever forget that presser done by Angarse with Vossy next to him, just after Vossy's sacking and that dickhead Angarse talking about the next prospective coach without showing any respect or deference to Michael Voss who gave his heart and soul to the Club.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Absolutely!
How can I ever forget that presser done by Angarse with Vossy next to him, just after Vossy's sacking and that dickhead Angarse talking about the next prospective coach without showing any respect or deference to Michael Voss who gave his heart and soul to the Club.

But Angus got us Paul Roos yeah? He said so himself.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
That is a serious allegation to make. Bob Sharpless was our Club President at a time when we seriously needed stability. He stood down because the perception of a "conflict of interest" was always going to cloud the Springfield decision and perhaps compromise funding. He did the right thing and I think it is time to give him the benefit of the doubt. For one, I am grateful for his significant service to the Lions...
You can keep giving the benefit of the doubt to Land Corporations & I'll remain steadfast in my opinion. I've made no allegation; it's an opinion. In the final analysis we both just want to see The Lions successful on & off the field.
Ipswich City Council hhahaha.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
So I'll take that as no you don't have an explanation. But hey thanks a lot for replying to my question and not deflecting through sarcasm or anything. Good chat
You can do your own research & form your own opinions.
Funny thing is, no matter what I think of you or your style & visa versa, we'll both be cheering when the Lions kick a goal ;)

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Yes I'm not an idiot I am able to grasp the concept of future returns. Bit still given those returns rely on them selling land, even if the lions were to attribute an extra $10,000 per house to the price (I'm being generous) we're still talking 2500 house sites to just break even. Look I've got no doubt they will get a benefit I just think it's being wildly exaggerated by most.
It's being done for altruistic purposes by a guy who loves the club ........ you grasp the concept of future returns .......... $10,000 extra per house is generous ........... you have no doubt they will get a benefit ........... where does it stop?
Did the Land Corp kick in $25 or $30 Million out of their own pocket or is that the amount the Governments kicked in for the facility?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's being done for altruistic purposes by a guy who loves the club ........ you grasp the concept of future returns .......... $10,000 extra per house is generous ........... you have no doubt they will get a benefit ........... where does it stop?
Did the Land Corp kick in $25 or $30 Million out of their own pocket or is that the amount the Governments kicked in for the facility?
You seem to be stack on this altruistic word. What is the problem with making money on a gamble investment? Good luck to The Land Corporation, good luck to the council and whatever political party is supporting this financially, for altruistic reasons or otherwise. Who gives a F? Ultimately if everyone walks away with a win/win/win/win... scenario bloody fantastic. Mate even if Putin's oligarchs put up the finances they would have done for altruistic reasons. No one gives 60 mil without altruistic reasons. Faaark no union in Australia did anything other than for an altruistic reason.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
You can keep giving the benefit of the doubt to Land Corporations & I'll remain steadfast in my opinion. I've made no allegation; it's an opinion. In the final analysis we both just want to see The Lions successful on & off the field.
Ipswich City Council hhahaha.
It’s like thinking unions are all about their member and no union officials are corrupt I guess.

Springfield Land Corp didn’t need to donate anything to the club, they obviously saw commercial value in the deal and having Sharpless as chairman benefited the club.

When you throw out a ridiculous accusation it’s always interesting if you can back it up beyond the initial verbal diarrhoea.

Who would have paid millions of dollars to make this happen and why?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I think it's was $40mil land corp and council and $15mil each from state and federal government's

I think it's was $40mil land corp and council and $15mil each from state and federal government's
Pretty sure the AFL upped their offer to $10mil after originally offering $5mil.

AFL $10m
Land Corp $18m
ICC $12m
State Gov $15m
Ferderal Gov $15m

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Well, I for one am in the, “I’ll rejoice when it’s built and comes in on budget” camp.

Until then, this proposed new training and administration and boutique stadium is up there with Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.

Well, I for one am in the, “I’ll rejoice when it’s built and comes in on budget” camp.

Until then, this proposed new training and administration and boutique stadium is up there with Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.

Given we have 70 million to get it done, I think your exaggerating a bit.... It's definitely more realistic than Santa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back