Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Haven't we had the land for some time now? I am not sure why it couldn't have just been mowed down and a few white lines painted. Would have cost a few hundred max for Jim's mowing to come out.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Haven't we had the land for some time now? I am not sure why it couldn't have just been mowed down and a few white lines painted. Would have cost a few hundred max for Jim's mowing to come out.
The land is owned by the Ipswich City Council

The land is owned by the Ipswich City Council
So does that then mean that the buildings being built on the land become the property of the ICC or are they owned by the Brisbane Lions?
I understand as part of the Heads of Agreement - The land was donated by Land Corp to ICC under the proviso that they leased it back to the Lions.
But, what of the rest of the funding?
Has it been donated to the Lions or ICC?
Are we just leasing the land or the land and the buildings on the land?
If the building are owned by the lions, can we sell them in 50yrs when and if the club outgrows the position. And how would that work if we don’t own the land?
Legitimate questions, It’s not really my thing so not really sure how it all works!

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
So does that then mean that the buildings being built on the land become the property of the ICC or are they owned by the Brisbane Lions?
I understand as part of the Heads of Agreement - The land was donated by Land Corp to ICC under the proviso that they leased it back to the Lions.
But, what of the rest of the funding?
Has it been donated to the Lions or ICC?
Are we just leasing the land or the land and the buildings on the land?
If the building are owned by the lions, can we sell them in 50yrs when and if the club outgrows the position. And how would that work if we don’t own the land?
Legitimate questions, It’s not really my thing so not really sure how it all works!

Land leased, buildings owned.

If we chose to move on I imagine the purchaser would enter into some sort of joint purchase arrangement with both the club and the council.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
You seem to be stack on this altruistic word. What is the problem with making money on a gamble investment? Good luck to The Land Corporation, good luck to the council and whatever political party is supporting this financially, for altruistic reasons or otherwise. Who gives a F? Ultimately if everyone walks away with a win/win/win/win... scenario bloody fantastic. Mate even if Putin's oligarchs put up the finances they would have done for altruistic reasons. No one gives 60 mil without altruistic reasons. Faaark no union in Australia did anything other than for an altruistic reason.

It’s like thinking unions are all about their member and no union officials are corrupt I guess.

Springfield Land Corp didn’t need to donate anything to the club, they obviously saw commercial value in the deal and having Sharpless as chairman benefited the club.

When you throw out a ridiculous accusation it’s always interesting if you can back it up beyond the initial verbal diarrhoea.

Who would have paid millions of dollars to make this happen and why?

altruistic
/altruːˈɪstɪk/
adjective

1. showing a disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others; unselfish.

My opinion is that the Land Corporation did what it did for selfish reasons. It has been suggested by another poster that it's great to have the backing of a "Big Business" supporter. I agree with this assertion to a degree. I also believe it's important to be cautious about who one jumps into bed with. Your personal insults are water off a ducks back. To me, it merely makes you look like a follower of the ultra right. Maybe you guys should move to Springfield?

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
altruistic
/altruːˈɪstɪk/
adjective

1. showing a disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others; unselfish.

My opinion is that the Land Corporation did what it did for selfish reasons. It has been suggested by another poster that it's great to have the backing of a "Big Business" supporter. I agree with this assertion to a degree. I also believe it's important to be cautious about who one jumps into bed with. Your personal insults are water off a ducks back. To me, it merely makes you look like a follower of the ultra right. Maybe you guys should move to Springfield?
Oh the old far right argument when you can't back up your initial claim. What are the "selfish reasons" you're claiming? They could have developed the land for residential/commercial or industrial property and likely made a lot of money.

Happy to have an adult discussion but when you claim people have been paid off when Springfield Land Corp didn't have to donate the land then I'll call that out. There are 10's of thousands of people living out there so what's your issue with Springfield?

The 2 guys (Sharpless & Sinnathanmby) behind Springfield Land Corp are worth 100's of millions of dollars, could be it be as simple as they saw the benefit of the largest master planned community in Australia by having the team and associates facilities there. Their donation would be less than 2% of their combined wealth.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Oh the old far right argument when you can't back up your initial claim. What are the "selfish reasons" you're claiming? They could have developed the land for residential/commercial or industrial property and likely made a lot of money.

Happy to have an adult discussion but when you claim people have been paid off when Springfield Land Corp didn't have to donate the land then I'll call that out. There are 10's of thousands of people living out there so what's your issue with Springfield?

The 2 guys (Sharpless & Sinnathanmby) behind Springfield Land Corp are worth 100's of millions of dollars, could be it be as simple as they saw the benefit of the largest master planned community in Australia by having the team and associates facilities there. Their donation would be less than 2% of their combined wealth.

Get over it Brett. Someone has a different opinion to yours, big deal.
Is it ok to see things differently than others? Is the majority always right? Are people allowed to have diverse opinions?
Rather than address those questions Brett C, wouldn't it make more sense for you to simply be more tolerant of others opinions. I'm now more tolerant of opinions I disagree with & the blood pressure has gone back to normal :D

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
altruistic
/altruːˈɪstɪk/
adjective

Speaking purely from the standpoint of a Tasmanian destined forever it seems to be disappointed in the direction [sic] our game has taken in my home State I despair about some of the comments here. Tassie has no money, no future, no direction. It has nothing like the resources we have and are now being planned, and no prospect of anything like it. Ever. Destined to be patronised by whatever CEO has the gig.

For God's sake, it is apparently seriously being argued that the reason we are going to Springfield is because someone, some entity, is going to make bulk $'s out of this. Evidence????? Proof????

Trust me, no young family is going to buy land at Springfield because the AFL has taken up residence.

Some hare argue that the only reason we have gotten any commitment is because of a commitment to women's sport. Knock knock- who gives a flying F*** why we got the dough. And you may have noticed if you were awake that this State government has zero, repeat zero, interest in AFL. Womens' sport- now that's different. I argued many posts ago that this was the approach that was going to succeed. And so it has.

Instead of fighting among ourselves we should be thanking our lucky stars and working on Plan B- a well overdue upgrade of the Gabba, in the interests of cricket of course. AFL doesn't enter into discussions.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Much of the intitial earthworks has been completed by the ICC.

Yeah, I knew that bit. I just have no construction industry knowledge whatsoever so am wondering how long the actual facilities construction is likely to take.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Get over it Brett. Someone has a different opinion to yours, big deal.
Is it ok to see things differently than others? Is the majority always right? Are people allowed to have diverse opinions?
Rather than address those questions Brett C, wouldn't it make more sense for you to simply be more tolerant of others opinions. I'm now more tolerant of opinions I disagree with & the blood pressure has gone back to normal :D
Wow for a guy who ranted about tyranny the other day and then edited his diatribe it’s good to see you’re more tolerant now.

You’re welcome to your opinion and I’m welcome to call out when I see nonsense.

When your opinion involves using the term “far right” as an insult you lose the moral high ground.

But again you’re welcome to back up your “opinion” with facts or at least the appearance of facts.

At the end of the day there is no way we can afford to buy any sort of training facility ourselves - we are not contributing any cash to this project. (Quote from Jackess Pretty sure the AFL upped their offer to $10mil after originally offering $5mil. AFL $10m Land Corp $18mICC $12m State Gov $15m Federal Gov $15m). Given our current financial situation even buying new equipment to match the new venue isn't guaranteed.

We are getting this through the goodwill of the people and governments funding it and yes, it would be great if another benefactor with millions to give away stepped up and waved their magic wand and managed to find a central Brisbane City location which they bestowed upon us. This process has dragged out so long there has been plenty of opportunity without other options showing up. I'm just glad the land is still available as they could have easily carved it up and put houses on it.

It's not perfect, but what ever is??

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It seems people love to argue semantics. I'd agree that this decision was not done out of pure altruism from any party. It was a good business decision all round for all parties involved.

The Brisbane Lions aren't doing this for the goodness of women's sports and migrants in South East Queensland - they are part of this as they get to command a much money producing asset than they would have if they stayed in Gabba/Coorparoo etc.

The MDA charity aren't doing this because they love AFL/womens sport - but as a means of securing substantial future funding to run integration programs/migrant assistance programs and get peopled settled into Springfield/Ipswich (which is a good thing for that area in general)

Springfield Land Commission isnt giving away the land from the kindness of their hearts but rather because having a major tenant like the Lions with all their training staff + programs like the MDA charity will mean more shops/businesses open in the surrounding area = more people wanting to live in Springfield = elevated house prices in the future.

ICC isnt doing the peppercorn lease for the benefit of the AFL but because it guarantees the relocation of business from BCC to ICC (Lions + the 50M AUD they had accrued for this project) and the reinvestment of funds into ICC from state and federal government + also future tax gains from increased tenancy on their land.

The State and Fed government dont give a * about womens sport or AFL other than it buys votes in a marginal constituency.

Average joe schmoe tax payer may not benefit directly from this proposal but can benefit indirectly by having another successful business venture generate further tax from more people living and working in Springfield.

Its good all round business sense. No doubt Bob Sharpless' involvement on both Lions and Springfields Boards facilitated Springfield Land Commission making such an enticing offer to the Lions to get them to pick this site over other proposals (Logan, Airport). However, those sites had a further 4 years after Sharpless had left to produce a substantial counter offer (which they failed to provide). So I dont think it is fair to paint this as a case of back door dealing and bribery - especially after 3 levels of government with different agendas and political persuasions had independently assessed the project and decided to invest.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
Yeah, I knew that bit. I just have no construction industry knowledge whatsoever so am wondering how long the actual facilities construction is likely to take.
I would have thought land and structures will be owned by council and long term leased to the lions, it's how many major sporting organisations work here

As for construction , hard to tell without some idea of the scope , current approvals , tenders or final design , if they are ready to push the button then 18 months / 2 years at a wild guess

Back