Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

If our setup at Springfield Reserve is comparable to the latest images and write up on lions.com I wont be suffering from any envy for another clubs facilities.

So they get $35m to upgrade what we would consider to be a brilliant set up. Ikon will be way ahead of what we build.

Good for them but that stinks.

I don't think so. We'll get more bang for our buck as Carlton is a premium inner city Melbourne suburb. Their current facilities are OK, but nowhere near the likes of Collingwood's Westpac Centre or the new WA Stadium.

From a few contacts close to the project - this will be a next level AFL training facility with both indoor and outdoor grounds and state of the art equipment and a premium layout for the men's and women's teams :thumbsu:

Never been any suggestion prior to this that it would have an indoor oval/arena. Not sure the expense could be justified and Swanny was very quick to point out development costs would still be a factor in their planning, even with 70 mill.

I’d be very surprised if we go the indoor oval route. The club has always been more interested in an outdoor, synthetic, fast draining, second oval as far as I’m aware.

I think someone pointed out in the preseason thread, the kind of heat we get up here isn't great long-term for the body. If there is an indoor field to be built, it's probably to help combat that.

An indoor field doesn't have to be oval. There's plenty of indoor spaces in that indicative render to have an indoor training space especially over towards the right goal side. Half a league field would be enough to do close quarters work inside along with warm up and warm down activities which would reduce heat and sun exposure. Full field size would be better but could be done as well

Swanny mentioned that we have to wait on council approvals etc to start the building process and that we hope to be able to get to work on the fields and have them usable ASAP.

IIRC there were reports that the Springfield Land Corporation was exempt from the normal elongated approval processes and was more streamlined and expedited. Was I just dreaming this?

Swanny mentioned that we have to wait on council approvals etc to start the building process and that we hope to be able to get to work on the fields and have them usable ASAP.

IIRC there were reports that the Springfield Land Corporation was exempt from the normal elongated approval processes and was more streamlined and expedited. Was I just dreaming this?

Maybe the regulations have changed somewhat since the various scandals have befallen the ICC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All, repeat all, development matters being processed thru ICC at the moment are seriously delayed because of the higher level shenanigans.

Nevertheless much of the preparatory earthworks have been completed so the approval of buildings etc shouldn't delay fieldworks etc.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Quick update on this from the last few pages:

We are working closely now with local council to get the final stages of the earthworks approved, they were already drawn up, both sides were just waiting for funding to be confirmed before getting into the nitty gritty of the details. We expect a mid-year kick off for those earthworks.

There will be an indoor facility but not a full field-size. You can see it in the renderings, it's the rounded square at the bottom right. The plan for that area now is that fans/people walking past will be able to look in, but we'll see what happens in the final product!
[IMG='width:793px;']https://thereservespringfield.com.au/img/hero.jpg[/IMG]

The top oval in this image will be the community field and backup field for us, it will also have a gym and some office space over there as per the design, and additional car parking.

We are working closely now with local council to get the final stages of the earthworks approved, they were already drawn up, both sides were just waiting for funding to be confirmed before getting into the nitty gritty of the details. We expect a mid-year kick off for those earthworks.

There will be an indoor facility but not a full field-size. You can see it in the renderings, it's the rounded square at the bottom right. The plan for that area now is that fans/people walking past will be able to look in, but we'll see what happens in the final product!

The top oval in this image will be the community field and backup field for us, it will also have a gym and some office space over there as per the design, and additional car parking.

Awesome to get these extra details, thanks Lions_Insider

I have a few extra questions if that is okay?

1. Does the proper seating now go around the entire circumference of the ground? If I recall correctly from earlier mocks that some parts were grassed only.

2. If for example a concert was to be held there, does the club hold the commercial hosting rights? i.e. can we make money by renting it out?

3. Any idea yet on what the catering arrangements will be? Will it just be one vendor with exclusive rights selling the same old hot dogs and chips or is there the potential for food trucks etc?

Last edited:

So that image is basically the final design as it will look when complete LI? If so it looks absolutely awesome, I love the seating all around the main oval.

I may have to move out there in 2021 from my current near Gabba apartment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back