Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw yesterday that the Brisbane Roar are now seeking to build themselves a $60m training facility and will be seeking state funding to achieve it. Their average attendance during the previous season was 10,500.

I wonder if there has been any discussion between the two codes about co-sharing our facility's second oval. Considering it took us a decade to get to where we are now I can't see another non NRL code getting anywhere with election promises any time soon...

I saw yesterday that the Brisbane Roar are now seeking to build themselves a $60m training facility and will be seeking state funding to achieve it. Their average attendance during the previous season was 10,500.

I wonder if there has been any discussion between the two codes about co-sharing our facility's second oval. Considering it took us a decade to get to where we are now I can't see another non NRL code getting anywhere with election promises any time soon...

Their training base is at Logan

Think the Roar would have a pretty good chance at a facility despite that crowd figure just because it is an international game. They could rent out the facility to visiting teams from all over the world if they visited Australia for a game or if they just needed an off-season training location. This was part of the thinking with the Lions facility when it was focused on the airport I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has machinery stopped at this particularly attractive patch of dirt yet? I guess this will be stopped... hopefully only 12 months.

...maybe the government will see it as an infrastructure project and keep it moving to maintain employment, despite the AFL & Club funding that will vanish?

I was wondering about this today? I suppose the years or hard work for this is just down the drain?
What would normally be earth shattering news just gets a shrug of the shoulders ATM.

I was wondering about this today? I suppose the years or hard work for this is just down the drain?
What would normally be earth shattering news just gets a shrug of the shoulders ATM.
The funding for this has already been approved so I can’t see why there should be any problem?

AFL was chucking in weren't they? That ain't happening.

Thankfully I believe all the committed money had already been paid, so I think this will be fine. Pretty sure they got all government and AFL money in the bank account at the start of this year.

OK cool, let's hope we have a team to put in it! lol
Agree. IF clubs have to reduce their list moving forward there will be no Lions NEAFL team, players on the list who are not in the 24 (including emergencies) or even possibly 22 (if the AFL radically reduces on field players from 18 to 16) will play for a Brisbane club. I think that happens in the NRL where those outside of the 17 each week play for feeder clubs.
Not sure what happens with the women's game moving forward, so yes might not have a team to play at the new facilities

Agree. IF clubs have to reduce their list moving forward there will be no Lions NEAFL team, players on the list who are not in the 24 (including emergencies) or even possibly 22 (if the AFL radically reduces on field players from 18 to 16) will play for a Brisbane club. I think that happens in the NRL where those outside of the 17 each week play for feeder clubs.
Not sure what happens with the women's game moving forward, so yes might not have a team to play at the new facilities
I figured we’d fill out the team with U19 academy players, much like we did last year, and again this year, and then top up with academy kids if needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back