Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Can't believe they didn't think of constructing something closer to the city
I'm not saying they should have; god knows the club carried out their due diligence for something closer to the heart of Brisbane.

That still shouldn't mean it is not concerning with what Mighty Lions posted though and how detrimental it could be, even though the club will have a better set up at the Reserve.

Hardly surprising with what you are trying to imply though.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not saying they should have; god knows the club carried out their due diligence for something closer to the heart of Brisbane.

That still shouldn't mean it is not concerning with what Mighty Lions posted though and how detrimental it could be, even though the club will have a better set up at the Reserve.

Hardly surprising with what you are trying to imply though.

Who's to say there aren't players unhappy with the current dungeon. Or understand the financial benefits of the new facility

There are many advantages to the new facility.

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you don't think St Kilda's move to Seaford was detrimental or impacted their ability to retain and attract players and officials, you really do have your head in the sand.

That being said, I had no idea that the Lions players felt this way until Mighty Lions post and given his exemplary track record on this board, you can't help but be concerned.

Obviously this is too negative for you.
If they are fair dinkum rattled about having to drive an extra 22 minutes I will be

Screenshot_20201215-184335_Maps.jpg

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Who's to say there aren't players unhappy with the current dungeon. Or understand the financial benefits of the new facility

There are many advantages to the new facility.
Of course there are many advantages to the Reserve, I'm not for a second saying there aren't.

But given Mighty Lions inside knowledge of the club, I am sure there are some that despite being unhappy with the current set up (you'd have to ask him) would perhaps put up with the current arrangement compared to trekking down to Springfiled (again, I agree, that the drive shouldn't be an issue, but obviously there is).

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is wierd that the players aren't looking forward to it. I think with the current setup they have to travel to multiple locations and can't all be in the same place at the same time as it is too small. I think once it is completed and they see what it is like and 20 minutes out of their way is nothing if they are going to spend hours there per day then i think they will be happy. They will get used to it.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The whole thing is a disaster. Yes, its only a 25 minute drive, but its never really that. Anyone who actually lives in Brisbane knows that. Secondly, the public transport route (currently) is disastrous. And even if we ignore all of that: they can't even get this thing completed on time even knowing that the construction industry was one of the least affected industries relating to covid - which by the way hasn't been a hindrance since late April. The whole project has been a disaster from the moment it was announced and unless the Queensland government fashions up some amazing transport service that takes us directly there, no one in the city will even care to go there.

Now: reading that the players don't even like it makes this decision even more absurd. It is too late to cancel the project? Maybe find something closer to the city?

There's not many that are looking forward to the completion of this complex. (player wise)

Why? I'm sure they'll adapt pretty quick when it's realised the traffic is rarely gonna be against them, they don't have to visit multiple facilities and they can golf right next door. I'll bet it's just fear or insecurity of the unknown. Most won't even won't notice an impact on their lifestyle.

The whole thing is a disaster. Yes, its only a 25 minute drive, but its never really that. Anyone who actually lives in Brisbane knows that. Secondly, the public transport route (currently) is disastrous. And even if we ignore all of that: they can't even get this thing completed on time even knowing that the construction industry was one of the least affected industries relating to covid - which by the way hasn't been a hindrance since late April. The whole project has been a disaster from the moment it was announced and unless the Queensland government fashions up some amazing transport service that takes us directly there, no one in the city will even care to go there.

Now: reading that the players don't even like it makes this decision even more absurd. It is too late to cancel the project? Maybe find something closer to the city?
There is a train that stops within about a 100m walk?

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Just knew I could sense my doomsday senses tingling.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Just knew I could sense my doomsday senses tingling.

I think the players not actually looking forward to this is enough to convince us this isn't a good idea. I wonder even if this will go through, especially if the club considers players retention. The last thing you want is to have players unhappy to commute to their training ground.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Have you read the whole thread yet? Because everything is answered within it.

Nobody likes the concrete idea of an extra commute for the abstract idea of improved facilities.

Hopefully once it's all done the facilities will be a big enough improvement to make the commute worth it.

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the players not actually looking forward to this is enough to convince us this isn't a good idea. I wonder even if this will go through, especially if the club considers players retention. The last thing you want is to have players unhappy to commute to their training ground.
I heard that when Neale heard the tuckshop wasnt going to have rainbow paddlepops he threw a full Big M at a wall

Nobody likes the concrete idea of an extra commute for the abstract idea of improved facilities.

Hopefully once it's all done the facilities will be a big enough improvement to make the commute worth it.

At this point it's an abstract idea and represent something different for a group that are very happy with their life.
While reality might mean some end up unhappy the greatest likelihood is most realise nothing changes or their life slightly improves.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Perhaps Fages needs to address the issue before it festers into a real problem with the players..
A lot of players have re-signed and come via trade in the last couple of years knowing this project was underway. Just because someone claims the players aren’t happy doesn’t make it so.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If I lived 5 minutes away from work and work told me they're moving 20 minutes away to a nicer office, I'd be annoyed but it wouldn't stop me from working there.

It'd make me want to jump ship. Regardless of the standard of the facilities compared to what I have now, the lifestyle I enjoy in Brisbane & the relationships I have forged with my current work colleagues.

Back