Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I ask where this 20 minute commute figure came from? I reckon that's a bit of a pipe dream.

Google maps shows an estimated time (travelling to Springfield in 8am) of:
- Gabba to Springfield - 26-50 mins
- Yeronga (AFLQ) to Springfield - 20-35 mins
- Bulimba to Springfield - 35-60 mins
- Gateway Motorway at Murrarie to Springfield (straight down the highway) - 28-35 mins

Players will simply have to move to the West side of the city, which isn't the most appealing option (sorry to any posters on the West side). Even then, St Lucia is showing 22-35 mins, Indooroopilly 20-30, Yeronga 20-30, Fig Tree Pocket and Kenmore starting to be closer to the suggested 20 with 18-26 mins. It becomes less appealing when you realise that you also have to drive across the city to get to the airport once a fortnight through the season.

I don't think there'll be an exodus. I just think it'll be a minor mark against us for players considering the move. The old "tour of the facilities" is going to be have a new, unusual strain to it. Previously it was the pokey facilities, now it'll be the drive to the Gabba, tour there, and then jump back in the car for 30-40 mins to get to Springfield. Just another bit to make it tougher to compete against "here's the MCG, and 100m that way is Punt Rd", or "200m that way is the Holden Centre".

Where is the vision from the likes of Jake Anson and co? We should be going with an adapted design similar to this on top of the Queens Wharf complex, it'll probably be ready before The Reserve anyway.... bloody hell this club can never get anything right.
1608168777142.png

Can I ask where this 20 minute commute figure came from? I reckon that's a bit of a pipe dream.

Google maps shows an estimated time (travelling to Springfield in 8am) of:
- Gabba to Springfield - 26-50 mins
- Yeronga (AFLQ) to Springfield - 20-35 mins
- Bulimba to Springfield - 35-60 mins
- Gateway Motorway at Murrarie to Springfield (straight down the highway) - 28-35 mins

Players will simply have to move to the West side of the city, which isn't the most appealing option (sorry to any posters on the West side). Even then, St Lucia is showing 22-35 mins, Indooroopilly 20-30, Yeronga 20-30, Fig Tree Pocket and Kenmore starting to be closer to the suggested 20 with 18-26 mins. It becomes less appealing when you realise that you also have to drive across the city to get to the airport once a fortnight through the season.

I don't think there'll be an exodus. I just think it'll be a minor mark against us for players considering the move. The old "tour of the facilities" is going to be have a new, unusual strain to it. Previously it was the pokey facilities, now it'll be the drive to the Gabba, tour there, and then jump back in the car for 30-40 mins to get to Springfield. Just another bit to make it tougher to compete against "here's the MCG, and 100m that way is Punt Rd", or "200m that way is the Holden Centre".
I keep saying the leafy, suburban corridor of Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood and Corinda will look appealing.

Lots of cafes. Trendy area. Not far from the Gabba, or Indooroopilly, West End or the City.

Train to Springfield as well.

F2A45C83-7AAB-45EB-A806-918E7774279C.jpeg

I keep saying the leafy, suburban corridor of Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood and Corinda will look appealing.
I will never not be bemused at how high house prices are in Chelmer. When I lived there three years ago, it was a hole, and it's surprisingly hot for somewhere right on the river.

I will never not be bemused at how high house prices are in Chelmer. When I lived there three years ago, it was a hole, and it's surprisingly hot for somewhere right on the river.

It’s full of doctors and barristers now. Gentrified big time.

Laurel Avenue is one of the most prestigious streets in Brisbane.

Opposite experience to me. I lived there in the early 2000’s as a teenager for over 5 years and a hole is not a word I would use to describe it.

Opposite experience to me. I lived there in the early 2000’s as a teenager for over 5 years and a hole is not a word I would use to describe it.
I think recent posts show that peoples wants on where to live are different .The negatives people put on the reserve of which there is only one, the location fail to realize that "the RESERVE" will open up more options to players such as our vic country boys who might want to live on a bit of land like david noble did and wasn"t Daniher living at Daylesford .
Brookwater golf course looks inviting for those that could afford some land there.

I'd happily pay a hefty premium to live within walking distance of the best chippies in the known universe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the long term I think living near Springfield will be seen as a boon. If you are looking for a semi rural/incognito lifestyle there is plenty of available land to build a mcmansion. You've got outer suburban gentrified areas nearby. If you are early 20s on 300-500k you could easily afford your own house compared to living in a unit or apartment in Melb/Syd. Players are temporary fixtures at a club. In 5 years time it wont matter if they are living in Bulimba. By that time we would expect at least 20ish new players on the list. Im more worried about the long term staff/coaches. At the end of the day though, they only have 2 choices if they want to live in SEQ and still be a part of an AFL club.

In the long term I think living near Springfield will be seen as a boon. If you are looking for a semi rural/incognito lifestyle there is plenty of available land to build a mcmansion. You've got outer suburban gentrified areas nearby. If you are early 20s on 300-500k you could easily afford your own house compared to living in a unit or apartment in Melb/Syd. Players are temporary fixtures at a club. In 5 years time it wont matter if they are living in Bulimba. By that time we would expect at least 20ish new players on the list. Im more worried about the long term staff/coaches. At the end of the day though, they only have 2 choices if they want to live in SEQ and still be a part of an AFL club.
You dont have to live in or near Springfield if playing or coaching for the Lions......and I am pretty sure most of them wont. Time will tell once they have a chance to work with the timeframes of training/playing in any given season using the Springfield facility. Doesnt make sense to move to Springfield when our lads will be required to be at the Gabba & Brisbane airport on a regular basis as well. Given time, it will work itself out.

You dont have to live in or near Springfield if playing or coaching for the Lions......and I am pretty sure most of them wont. Time will tell once they have a chance to work with the timeframes of training/playing in any given season using the Springfield facility. Doesnt make sense to move to Springfield when our lads will be required to be at the Gabba & Brisbane airport on a regular basis as well. Given time, it will work itself out.

Further to this, there's healthy amount of players at Melbourne clubs who face at least a 30 minute commute to their training base.

The move from Moorabbin to Seaford is a little further than Brisbane to Springfield by about 10km. We can only hope that the fallout is nothing like St Kilda's or even Hawthorn's proposed move to Dingley. I don't know Springfield from a bar of soap, but what I do know from speaking to David Noble ironically some years back is that the club was fairly confident that it had the advantage that Springfield Mall was only next door and packed with cafe's, restaurants, movie theatres etc. that the players could stroll to during breaks etc. The difference being the Saints players had nowhere to go in Seaford as the venue is literally on the side of the freeway that leads to the Mornington Peninsula in the middle of nowhere.

As an aside, most of the Saints players live in Bayside i.e. Brighton, Hampton, Sandringham, Black Rock, Beaumaris, which was only a 5-8 min drive to Moorabbin where they are now going back to, which from memory is not too dissimilar to the Lions boys living in and around Morningside, Hawthorne, New Farm, Bulimba to the Gabba. On the surface the relocation to Springfield shouldn't be an issue, but if what Mighty Lions is true, and there is no reason why he'd make up such a thing, then there is cause for concern and simply dismissing such a concern is pretty naïve.

It's so true that whole area Seaford, Carrum Downs, The Pines, Frankston Nth etc is a very bleak, outer urban cultural wasteland.

Last edited:
For those interested about the funding for The Reserve
Below is an extract for the Club's "Financial Report 2020" listing the grant funding received so far.
12. OTHER LIABILITIES CURRENT
....................................................Year 2020.............Year 2019
Income received in advance.............2,392,044................608,137
Grant funding received in advance...26,801,332...........18,031,448

"Grant funding received in advance includes grant funds received and accumulated interest $26,801,332 (2019: $18,031,448) to be utilised for the construction of The Reserve Springfield. This income received in advance will be recognised as revenue progressively as the facility is constructed."

Does anyone know when the springfield reserve is actually projected to be completed cause they were saying it would be done at the end of 2021 or beginning of 2022 or something but given COVID has reduced costs and all that, does it mean it will still be completed by then?

Does anyone know when the springfield reserve is actually projected to be completed cause they were saying it would be done at the end of 2021 or beginning of 2022 or something but given COVID has reduced costs and all that, does it mean it will still be completed by then?
More likely middle to late 2022 I would think.

Still no action at the site. Would be very surprised to see completion before the end of 2022.

Given January is a month where the trades and construction industry tend to take all their annual leave, I'd have been very surprised if anything had happened.

Given January is a month where the trades and construction industry tend to take all their annual leave, I'd have been very surprised if anything had happened.
Not sure about Brisbane, but this year in particular in Melbourne the construction industry is well underway already. Unfortunately the writing is on the wall. It was originally scheduled to be finished by Nov this year. With COVID and other delays it is probably 8 months or more behind that schedule which makes it doubtful that we will see it ready before the end of the 2022 AFL season.

I find it interesting that everyone is focused on the commute out to the venue.

If I was a player, that wouldn’t be my number one concern.

My main gripe would be the difference in temperature between Yeronga and Springfield Lakes during summer.

Now I haven’t been out there yet, but I sure as heck know there’s a difference in temperature between the Eastern Suburbs and Ipswich, and it can be significant in summer.
Correct, that's a key issue, the temp out west is easily a few degrees warmer than the city in summer. Also I think some of the Lions training days are split into two sessions, where players have a few hours before the next session and I suppose they may come home for lunch and then go back out to the afternoon session and or community commitments etc. I am not sure if this has something to do with the cramped facilities with the Gym etc, but could not see split sessions at Springfield.
I suspect the running and match sims etc might still occur at Yeronga or Coorparoo with gym and pool sessions out at Springfield, but only my thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back