Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Correct, that's a key issue, the temp out west is easily a few degrees warmer than the city in summer. Also I think some of the Lions training days are split into two sessions, where players have a few hours before the next session and I suppose they may come home for lunch and then go back out to the afternoon session and or community commitments etc. I am not sure if this has something to do with the cramped facilities with the Gym etc, but could not see split sessions at Springfield.
I suspect the running and match sims etc might still occur at Yeronga or Coorparoo with gym and pool sessions out at Springfield, but only my thoughts
The western suburbs cover a pretty big area and Springfield Lakes isn’t the same as Ipswich which is a few degrees higher.

Very little difference between temp wise between where the club trains now and at the reserve.

It would be highly unlikely the club would invest approx $70m in a facility to only then train at substantially substandard facilities on a regular basis.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yep, it's bye bye to Yeronga and Coorparoo once The Reserve at Springfield is finally up and running which is looking more and more likely wont be ready for 2022 pre season training.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The western suburbs cover a pretty big area and Springfield Lakes isn’t the same as Ipswich which is a few degrees higher.

Very little difference between temp wise between where the club trains now and at the reserve.

It would be highly unlikely the club would invest approx $70m in a facility to only then train at substantially substandard facilities on a regular basis.
The Lions have not invested anywhere near $70m into the project there are a number of funding sources including over $30m from the Commonwealth and State Govts, plus $30 million from the council and the Springfield Land Corp: I did not imply that the Lions would not be utilising the facilities on a regular basis, as I have no doubt the complex will be utilised by the Lions for training as well as the ground hosting Lions reserve grade games as well as the women's league and of course upgraded training facilities for the women.
Just my opinion, the usually long preseason particularly from early Nov to Mid Dec where there are a lot of running drills may still be conducted at Yeronga and or Coorparoo where it is a little cooler than out at Springfield. Anyway it is not for another 2 years so have to wait and see

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

We’ll have wait until the Reserve is built, but anyone who watches training at Yeronga knows there is almost always a nice breeze blowing off the river. It’s usually nice and cool sitting on the shaded stands watching the boys run around on the sunny oval.

It’s amazing how a couple of degrees difference can change the way you feel.

If you have a look at the live stream there is a spider across the lens. Pretty much says it all.
Hahahahaha. Had to check it out for myself.

For posterity's sake:

1611535016673.png

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
The Lions have not invested anywhere near $70m into the project there are a number of funding sources including over $30m from the Commonwealth and State Govts, plus $30 million from the council and the Springfield Land Corp: I did not imply that the Lions would not be utilising the facilities on a regular basis, as I have no doubt the complex will be utilised by the Lions for training as well as the ground hosting Lions reserve grade games as well as the women's league and of course upgraded training facilities for the women.
Just my opinion, the usually long preseason particularly from early Nov to Mid Dec where there are a lot of running drills may still be conducted at Yeronga and or Coorparoo where it is a little cooler than out at Springfield. Anyway it is not for another 2 years so have to wait and see
Your splitting hairs on where the money is coming from as it’s all being spent for the benefit of the club.

No need to wait and see, The Reserve will be the clubs training base and unless it’s available for some unknown reason they won’t be training at Yeronga and Coorparoo.

They’ve said that they will be training sessions at the Gabba but won’t be training elsewhere.

To finish the project and then decide to split training bases makes little no sense at all.

A big part of the project is so that there no disruption to training because of the lack of access to the Gabba during cricket season.

Having the one base will greatly reduce the amount of work that goes into training at different grounds.

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
Yep, it's bye bye to Yeronga and Coorparoo once The Reserve at Springfield is finally up and running which is looking more and more likely wont be ready for 2022 pre season training.

Just a minor point but Coorparoo hasn't been used in a a few years now I think even though it is often mentioned alongside Yeronga. I was there for a game in 2020 and the field is not in any state to host Lions training. Friday's intra club being played at Morningside reminded me of this as well. Morningside itself is not terrible and obviously hosts QAFL but it's not really AFL standard either. Then club needs better facilities as soon as they are ready

drapes11

Debutant
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lots of comments about lack of progress, for what it’s worth I literally live around the corner. The state government has committed to duplicating the road out the front of where the facility is and is also building a multistory car park to service the train station as well as these facilities. The construction of the reserve has been delayed slightly to coordinate with the the other works going on to reduce the impact on the local community.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lots of comments about lack of progress, for what it’s worth I literally live around the corner. The state government has committed to duplicating the road out the front of where the facility is and is also building a multistory car park to service the train station as well as these facilities. The construction of the reserve has been delayed slightly to coordinate with the the other works going on to reduce the impact on the local community.
Looking forward to your training reports in the future.😀

Been a little bit of movement at the site the last few days going by the time lapse. Some pipes delivered but no sign of construction activity as yet.
You mean to tell us the spider's habitat has been disturbed. We need an action group to stop this destruction in the name of progress. Shocking.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
You mean to tell us the spider's habitat has been disturbed. We need an action group to stop this destruction in the name of progress. Shocking.

I hear Tassie4Ever has lodged an application to have the site declared an ecological heritage reserve and have all construction prohibited.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Image from 25/3. The car park construction in bottom right corner has progressed quite a bit. Chairman's update end of last year mentioned that project was on pause while this and associated road works were progressed further. Looks like some materials for construction have been moved on site near to the oval - the previously mentioned pipes maybe?

lions.JPG

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Not really sure what they're on about with the Springfield v Ipswich angle in this story given that Springfield is part of Ipswich but anyway, mentions the Reserve. Nine news story on Facebook

Back