Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys. Surely QSAC is the go during the Gabba rebuild. You can fit a Geelong dimensions oval there no problems. There is already another athletics facility next door that needs an update, so update that in 2025, then reconfigure QSAC in 2026. Remove the track, northern temp stands, minor update the main east/west stands and you have a 25k - 30k venue. Then, in 2029, build a new track, etc, and you have two sets of updated aths facilities to use in the lead up to 2032. Everybody wins.

The facilities there are as outdated as you can get (it was a somewhat outdated and unusable setup back in the 90s when the Broncos were playing there - so you can imagine how much moreso that would be the case 20 years on), so I'm not sure it would work. There just isn't really the business case to do it up at all, nor are there any good public transport links there.

I think it's pretty clear that Springfield will probably host 50% of our home games, Metricon 40%, and regional venues the remaining 10%.

Will certainly be a challenging few years for the club, but I imagine made a whole lot easier with the anticipation of how amazing the new Gabba will be.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
The facilities there are as outdated as you can get (it was a somewhat outdated and unusable setup back in the 90s when the Broncos were playing there - so you can imagine how much moreso that would be the case 20 years on), so I'm not sure it would work. There just isn't really the business case to do it up at all, nor are there any good public transport links there.

I think it's pretty clear that Springfield will probably host 50% of our home games, Metricon 40%, and regional venues the remaining 10%.

Will certainly be a challenging few years for the club, but I imagine made a whole lot easier with the anticipation of how amazing the new Gabba will be.
They still have big concerts there. It must have all the necessary amenities. As my post said, it could be used quite a bit for athletics leading up to 2032, so a downsize and basic makeover would be justified. Why do you think the AFL would be happy with 5/6 games in front of under 10K? Only 600 seats and no corporate facilities.

They still have big concerts there. It must have all the necessary amenities. As my post said, it could be used quite a bit for athletics leading up to 2032, so a downsize and basic makeover would be justified. Why do you think the AFL would be happy with 5/6 games in front of under 10K? Only 600 seats and no corporate facilities.

I think there's a very good chance (as in, a certainty) Springfield will have a capacity of 20, 000 by the time the Gabba is being redeveloped.

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the smart play is to get Springfield to 20k capacity (maybe even greater temporary capacity) than give the AFL money out to QSAC or Metricon etc. A 25k stadium would be perfect for matches against the likes of GWS/Freo/Adelaide etc.

QSAC is barely good enough for school athletics carnivals at this point.

And it is as inaccessible as a venue can get.
With the Olympics surely we can get a hovercraft shuttle put in.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It was mentioned in the recent The Roar Deal podcast that facilities have to meet a certain standard to host AFL matches, and that if a facility needed to be upgraded to meet that standard, it would need to be for a purpose beyond just playing a few games there before we move back to the GABBA.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
It was mentioned in the recent The Roar Deal podcast that facilities have to meet a certain standard to host AFL matches, and that if a facility needed to be upgraded to meet that standard, it would need to be for a purpose beyond just playing a few games there before we move back to the GABBA.
But it could be 33 games, or up to 39 including finals. Even at $20m, you would more than make it back. The legacy would be an upgraded athletics facility.
Springfield construction has just commenced, they are not going to re-do the ground two years after it is finished and expend it to 20K (the Gabba will be re-built 2026/27/28, in between Ashes tests). Also, there is very little room for temp stands - you could possible fit a 1k - 2k stand where the carpark is. It would be great if they had redesigned for 15K - 20K once Bris 32 was announced, but they didn't. No chance for the majority of your games.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
QSAC is barely good enough for school athletics carnivals at this point.

And it is as inaccessible as a venue can get.
That is just plain incorrect.

No there isn’t a train station there. But it would be just as easy for BCC shuttle buses to drop fans off there as it is for the Gabba.

Pretty sure they’ll use the Armoury for basketball, and netball if it’s added as an Olympic sport.

I’m not in favour of QSAC for AFL, all I’m saying it’s not inaccessible.

It’s certainly far more accessible for the majority of Brisbanites than what Springfield is.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
That is just plain incorrect.

No there isn’t a train station there. But it would be just as easy for BCC shuttle buses to drop fans off there as it is for the Gabba.

Pretty sure they’ll use the Armoury for basketball, and netball if it’s added as an Olympic sport.

I’m not in favour of QSAC for AFL, all I’m saying it’s not inaccessible.

It’s certainly far more accessible for the majority of Brisbanites than what Springfield is.

I’m not sure you ever experienced Kessels Road when the Broncos were playing at QSAC. I used to work at Upper Mt Gravatt and it was INSANE.

It was a shitshow beyond belief. The traffic used to back all the way past Wishart and the Gateway merge.

Mains Road fared just as badly.

It took me 3 hours to travel 6 kilometres on my way home from work the night U2 played there.

Last edited:
May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But it could be 33 games, or up to 39 including finals. Even at $20m, you would more than make it back. The legacy would be an upgraded athletics facility.

There's more factors than that though. For one thing, we would need a decent amount of government funding, and that would require justification that it wouldn't just be temporarily used and has long term benefits for the surrounding community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I thought we had 2 fields planned, where is it positioned on this image? Am I interpreting the virtual image correctly and the car park at the back will go and the 2nd field will go there?
1631179945078.png

1631180368955.png

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m not sure you ever experienced Kessels Road when the Broncos were playing at QSAC. I used to work at Upper Mt Gravatt and it was INSANE.

It was a shitshow beyond belief. The traffic used to back all the way past Wishart and the Gateway merge.

Mains Road fared just as badly.

It took me 3 hours to travel 6 kilometres on my way home from work the night U2 played there.

I can attest to this. Back in my uni days used to live in Ilya crescent. Just over Mains Rd from ANZ stadium. Was a great spot for going to uni at QUT. Jumped on a bus on Mains Rd & straight onto the freeway. Bit a a s**t show during rush hour though, let alone when the Broncos games were on.

25 years on can't imagine it's any better.

Oh my goodness I'm old.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I was a Broncos season ticket holder when they played at ANZ, never had much trouble getting to the ground, we parked down near the Sunnybank shopping centre and walked there.

Thank god not long after the 1997 Super League season I saw the light went to a few Lions games and have been hooked ever since.

Last edited:

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was a Broncos season ticket holder when the played at ANZ, never had much trouble getting to the ground, we parked down near the Sunnybank shopping centre and walked there.

Thank god not long after the 1997 Super League season I saw the light went to a few Lions games and have been hooked ever since.

Jason I don't recall ever walking to the Sunnybank shopping centre from my house lolol. You were keen.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Red dot is approx where I lived. Green circle is ANZ. I used to go to the gym there. The years might have exaggerated this but I swear it used to take half an hour to walk there.

And you used to walk from Sunnybank shopping centre? I doubt any Broncos fan would do that how they're playing today lol.

SunnyBank.jpg

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Red dot is approx where I lived. Green circle is ANZ. I used to go to the gym there. The years might have exaggerated this but I swear it used to take half an hour to walk there.

And you used to walk from Sunnybank shopping centre? I doubt any Broncos fan would do that how they're playing today lol.

View attachment 1230772
That's 1.5km form the shops to ANZ according to google, I am a lot fitter than I look BB.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
And maybe I'm as lazy as my parents said I was as a kid :D
A few of my old mans go to lines were- you bastard are you going to hold the lantern while your mother chops the wood...... you lazy streak of pelican s**t..... get a f...ng haircut you big girl. Wasn't averse to using the strap or the thong either.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On a serious note though, back 20 years ago ANZ was a dilapidated shithole. Can't be anything different now. And the wrong shape.

Would be far more cost effective to install temporary stands at Springfield. Back in the day of the bad news bears it was pretty much all they had at Carrara. They had the western stand & the rest was temporary. You could get a crowd of 20k realistically I would've thought, perfect for the games where we expect lower attendances.

Train station right next door too. Makes a massive difference. Cars & buses are a pain.

Back