Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

L Dizz

Team Captain
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah that would be ideal, suppose the question is.. who pays for it? would imagine doubling the capacity to 20k would be expensive.
Well they're using Springfield as one of the venues for the Olympics (modern pentathlon), so perhaps any capacity upgrades prior to the Olympics will be funded by whoever is paying for all the Olympic builds/upgrades.

Well they're using Springfield as one of the venues for the Olympics (modern pentathlon), so perhaps any capacity upgrades prior to the Olympics will be funded by whoever is paying for all the Olympic builds/upgrades.
10,000 would be more than enough for the modern pentathlon. I assume it would be for the show jumping and running/shooting events only. The swimming and fencing wouldn't work. Assuming it's even an Olympic event by then.

L Dizz

Team Captain
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
10,000 would be more than enough for the modern pentathlon. I assume it would be for the show jumping and running/shooting events only. The swimming and fencing wouldn't work. Assuming it's even an Olympic event by then.
I don't necessarily disagree with the capacity comment, but they did the swimming (temporary above ground pool) and fencing (raised platform) in the same stadium as the show jumping, and running/shooting at Tokyo

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wouldn't the club have their own swimming pool in the training facilities at the site? You'd figure it would be taken over at Olympics time much like the stadium itself.

Wouldn't the club have their own swimming pool in the training facilities at the site? You'd figure it would be taken over at Olympics time much like the stadium itself.
The swimming pool slated for Springfield is only a very small pool.
Not big enough for what is required.

I don't necessarily disagree with the capacity comment, but they did the swimming (temporary above ground pool) and fencing (raised platform) in the same stadium as the show jumping, and running/shooting at Tokyo
That's the new model for that event - single stadium, one day event.

In terms of crowd capacity, I believe the venue for this event at Tokyo was around 10K capacity.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's the new model for that event - single stadium, one day event.

In terms of crowd capacity, I believe the venue for this event at Tokyo was around 10K capacity.
The venue was at the main stadium so 60k but of course no spectators due to covid
They did let staff and volunteers not required elsewhere attend certain events including this one

The venue was at the main stadium so 60k but of course no spectators due to covid
Getting away from the point slightly, but... if the modern pentathlon could be held at the main stadium, there'd be no need to use Springfield.

For these past Games, it was held predominantly at Tokyo Stadium (sounds like it'd be the main stadium, but no) which does hold 50k, though I suspect if it only held 15k (like what was used for Rio 2016, which was all temporary seating btw) it still would have been used.

The fencing "Ranking Round" (not the "Bonus Round") for Tokyo was held at a 10,000-seat arena, for what it's worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets hope it gets rendered
Red brick is so boring and so 70's
Lots of other ways to keep some Fitzroy color's along with Bears and Lions
Be prepared for disappointment. The grandstand will be exposed brick, and going by the finish on those bricks, so will that brickwork. Personal taste, but I'm with Jacob on this.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Be prepared for disappointment. The grandstand will be exposed brick, and going by the finish on those bricks, so will that brickwork. Personal taste, but I'm with Jacob on this.
Give me some exposed brickwork especialy that old red brick , looks great, reminds me of Sydney homes as well, it's a classic look .

mish33

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As a Melbourne based fan, I think the consideration of designing the stands like the ones at Brunswick St is brilliant. So what if it looks a little dated. It's the club's new home and a big sign of committment to its Fitzroy heritage.
I'd much rather that than some shiny cement board stucco monstrosity that gets water stains in 5 years.
As I get off my soap box, if the oval at Springfield can have half the impact on the community out there that Brunswick St has, you're on to a winner.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Got this image from the Builders site
Did not take much notice of the image earlier as these type of builders images don't always align with the finished product
However looks like the red brick part is happening
Looks sort of okay from this shot as not very much brick showing
However looking from behind the buildings may be a different story
I appear to be in the minority
But still not a fan of red brick

The main thing is the project is starting to take shape and this time next year the ladies & men hopefully will be using the facilities
With the NRL Ipswich failed bid and this opening in 2022 that should give AFL a better footprint in the area

1634121945862.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back