Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

7j7A92m.gif
You get me

Greg Swan mentioned at Brunswick St,on Friday, that we should expect an announcement from the government this week, but to keep it under wraps. He had just heard from the Sports Minister .The word got out a little early it appears, but good news travels fast.Looks wonderful.

You didn’t keep it under wraps!!!!!!!

How much traction did this have before Gil stuck his head in?

Makes me wonder why they didn't just do this from the frigging get go since it all started to fall in place since that meeting.

The Brisbane Lions are confident its proposed new Springfield training base and boutique stadium will be ready for the 2020 AFL Women's season after the Queensland government agreed to fund part of the project.

It's been years in the making, but the Lions could start building their facility in Springfield within two months.

The federal government is expected to tick off a $15million contribution shortly, with the Queensland government to do likewise in its May budget.

That would complete the $70 million required for the project.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-03-29/swann-on-the-reserve-

Makes me wonder why they didn't just do this from the frigging get go since it all started to fall in place since that meeting.

I think it's more got more to do with budget timing (coming up in the next few months) than anything to do with Gil, given he's made a couple of visits up here now without any movement.

Yeah Gil has “had a chat” with the state government several times over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. I guess we've just had terrible timing. I know a lot of the previous funding that has been pledged has also been hinging on results swinging against the popular trend and the like, so that hasn't helped us.

158 pages on this topic, expected a little more celebration to be honest. Great work by Swanny/Anson and Co. Can only be a good thing.

I'd say given the false dawns so far most are probably waiting for something officially stamped in the budget and the federal government officially confirming it will honour its commitment as well. I'm really wanting to celebrate this one but part of me just can't take the final leap yet until its confirmed for the budget. Does feel different this time as its not dependent on someone getting into power though.

Guess it mirrors our on field rebuild a bit, part of me is just holding back a little wary of it being another false dawn, but with the gut feeling that this time its different.

The club shouldn't wait on the final plans or anything. Just buy a silver bloody shovel, invite the minister to turn the first sod and that's your guarantee right there. They love those photo opportunities and would never pull the plug after that.

The club shouldn't wait on the final plans or anything. Just buy a silver bloody shovel, invite the minister to turn the first sod and that's your guarantee right there. They love those photo opportunities and would never pull the plug after that.

I'm pretty sure I heard a while back that there had been substantial groundwork already done in clearing the site so I don't think we've been sitting on our hands. I'm pretty sure most of the design has been locked down too given the latest graphics are substantially different to the ones we had when it was first launched.

I don't want to be negative after such a positive announcement, but does anyone else kinda bump on the 10,000 capacity thing? Feels about 3000-5,000 too few.

Hopefully the design facilitates easy expansion down the line.

I don't want to be negative after such a positive announcement, but does anyone else kinda bump on the 10,000 capacity thing? Feels about 5,000 too short.

Hopefully the design facilities easy expansion down the line.

Yeah i noticed that as well. Hopefully with larger events they will have the ability to put in temp grandstands if needed and possibly leave space to expand existing grandstands down the track. I guess really they're catering for H&A AFLW and mens pre season games, both of which haven't really shown that they will come close to filling it yet.

Yeah i noticed that as well. Hopefully with larger events they will have the ability to put in temp grandstands if needed and possibly leave space to expand existing grandstands down the track. I guess really they're catering for H&A AFLW and mens pre season games, both of which haven't really shown that they will come close to filling it yet.
Not that the capacity would be an issue for the Lions Reserves, but I assume when the Lions Reserves aren't playing curtain raiser's at the Gabba, The Reserve will also serve as their home ground too?

Not that the capacity would be an issue for the Lions Reserves, but I assume when the Lions Reserves aren't playing curtain raiser's at the Gabba, The Reserve will also serve as their home ground too?

Correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back