Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, palychook is an absolute disgrace when it comes to making a decision on anything.
Yes, but they won by sitting on their hands for three years. So they will sit on their hands again. It is just ineffective government.

Although sport as a whole in Qld is going ok.
Qld alone would have come 4th or 5th at the Commonwealth games on the medal tally.
The funding for sport in general is there. Probably paid for in part, due to the exorbitant fees being charged by Stadiums Qld.

Funding for olympic and comm games sports come largely from the federal govt

I hear what you say however the decisions of our honourable politicians providing funding for sports is all politically motivated and not in the best interests of sport in general. In other words, if providing funding for 1 sport rather than another to get votes is evident, that's where the $ will go.
Good point.

And this is why I suggested the western suburbs netball club my club sponsors approach Queen Bee personally and stress that their ever-growing ranks of female players (destined to vote soon) had no fixed training facilities.

"Springfield would be good".

Did so and went over a treat.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

From the Hammo article:

"SQ has also improved facilities at The Gabba in the shorter term, with two LED video screens and a $1.3 million lighting upgrade as well as upgraded retail and food and beverage facilities completed at the venue in recent years."

Where are these facilities/what are they talking about?

From the Hammo article:

"SQ has also improved facilities at The Gabba in the shorter term, with two LED video screens and a $1.3 million lighting upgrade as well as upgraded retail and food and beverage facilities completed at the venue in recent years."

They upgraded the kitchens but not the food.

They upgraded the kitchens but not the food.
Did they do that when they had that fire in one of the kitchens last season???? lol.
Seriously, the Gabba is a disgrace. Worst facility in the country for elite sport. QLD Stadiums & Co are simply money grabbers. The passion related to sport in QLD is a very distant 3rd or 4th priority.

Did they do that when they had that fire in one of the kitchens last season???? lol.
Seriously, the Gabba is a disgrace. Worst facility in the country for elite sport. QLD Stadiums & Co are simply money grabbers. The passion related to sport* in QLD is a very distant 3rd or 4th priority.

*Other than Rugby League

From the Hammo article:

I don't equate better facilities to produce deep fried crap with funding sport.

Private businesses hire the facilities so refurbishment should come under a different section of the budget.

The truely ridiculous thing is that if sport was funded properly there would be more people participating and involved meaning more commited bums on seats watching better teams. And stadiums qld wouldn't have to fiddle and find ways to increase revenue by building bloody kitchens.

From the Hammo article:

as a Brisbane expat now living in Melbourne I went to the Gabba for a heat game over Xmas and was surprised to see the food and drink options available on the eastern side near the school. There was a bar area you could sit out next to the school and get a drink and I think they did BBQ food too. Was quite impressed since that kind of thing doesn't really exist at the g or docklands. There are bars but good food variety is pretty limited and it's all inside the stands in my experience. Did I just fluke a decent spot?

as a Brisbane expat now living in Melbourne I went to the Gabba for a heat game over Xmas and was surprised to see the food and drink options available on the eastern side near the school. There was a bar area you could sit out next to the school and get a drink and I think they did BBQ food too. Was quite impressed since that kind of thing doesn't really exist at the g or docklands. There are bars but good food variety is pretty limited and it's all inside the stands in my experience. Did I just fluke a decent spot?
No, I sit on the opposite side on the north western part of the stadium (sec 43 i think) as a member and last year I went with my mate and our boys using the Auskick passes which was for the side that you were talking about and was really impressed with what was on that side in comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QLD stadiums are just another example of how sport in Queensland is handicapped when compared to the rest of the country. Over it.

I call bollocks on this. The suns and titans both got brand new stadiums built for them by the Government. Other cities have been crying out for new facilities for years. Both clubs are struggling because of their teams’ poor form and the poor product they have been putting on the field. Fans and corporates aren’t really interested.

The AFL should be stumping up the cash to support the Suns at Metricon. They brought the Suns there and most people would have predicted the concept would fail just like every other professional sporting team at the Gold Coast. It shouldn’t be the job of taxpayers to prop these teams up with subsidised rent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn’t the talk something like $1mil to become an AFL ambassador in QLD?

There were whispers along those lines. Ludicrous.

He’s not really ambassador material anyway, not exactly the most dynamic personality.

You really just want the AFL to make a joke of the salary cap when convenient to them?
Are you being serious? They do whatever suits them, whenever they want. So paying Hunt and Ablett massive ambassador payments wasn't making a joke of the salary cap? Collingwood players getting paid huge $ for "media" outside of the cap doesn't make a joke of it?

Edit. I have had a few, maybe didn't read the sarcasm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back