Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you being serious? They do whatever suits them, whenever they want. So paying Hunt and Ablett massive ambassador payments wasn't making a joke of the salary cap? Collingwood players getting paid huge $ for "media" outside of the cap doesn't make a joke of it?

Um, yes. It was a joke then, and it would be a joke if they did it again.

I’m confused here. I’m the one saying that ambassadorial payments are a rort yet you are arguing as though I’m saying the opposite.

Are you drunk or am I?

The AFL is pouring massive amounts of money into the Suns. Massive.

The State Government paid $60m for the the Metricon Stadium development. That’s massive when the State Government doesn’t have many revenue sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The State Government paid $60m for the the Metricon Stadium development. That’s massive when the State Government doesn’t have many revenue sources.

I think the Commonwealth Games had a bit to do with that.

From what I recall, the Carrara upgrade was committed to well before the commonwealth games bid was even lodged.

Lodged is one thing, conceived is another.

The bid was announced in 2008 but was some time in the making.

I call bollocks on this. The suns and titans both got brand new stadiums built for them by the Government. Other cities have been crying out for new facilities for years. Both clubs are struggling because of their teams’ poor form and the poor product they have been putting on the field. Fans and corporates aren’t really interested.

The AFL should be stumping up the cash to support the Suns at Metricon. They brought the Suns there and most people would have predicted the concept would fail just like every other professional sporting team at the Gold Coast. It shouldn’t be the job of taxpayers to prop these teams up with subsidised rent.

The AFL tip in plenty to both the NSW & QLD clubs mate.
I also call bollocks to your comment above. QLD Stadiums are bleeding the life out of elite sport up here. If you look at the stadiums & facilities other states have, (NSW, VIC, SA, WA & even Tasi) we are way behind with the quality of our stadiums. Did you hear about the massive amount of $ Vic Govt have just last week pledged to the AFL for upgrades to Etihad & MCG? I don't hear anything from the QLD Govt, do you???

Here's an alternative- how about the AFL pouring bulk $$$$s into a Tassie team instead where the game is stuffed.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I would be supportive of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tenor.gif

I'm sorry but clicking on this thread to see what the update is is supposed to be an experience of disillusionment, angst, frustration, anger and a range of other negative emotions.

Disappointment is the feeling you have when something fails to meet your expectations ... in this case I am most happy to be disappointed!

*happy dance*

Trying to think of what ridiculously improbable issue will get in the way now.

Struggling.

We may have something this time.

I'm waiting for it to get caught up in the ridiculously long wait for development approval that currently exists within the qld government for projects like this, not to mention the elongated tender process that will exist because you've got 3 levels of government contributing to it.

I'm waiting for it to get caught up in the ridiculously long wait for development approval that currently exists within the qld government for projects like this, not to mention the elongated tender process that will exist because you've got 3 levels of government contributing to it.
The approvals process shouldnt have anything to do with the Qld Government.
It would be Council and Ipswich City Council to boot.
I would imagine its already been pre-approved considering they have put in 12mil towards the project.

The approvals process shouldnt have anything to do with the Qld Government.
It would be Council and Ipswich City Council to boot.
I would imagine its already been pre-approved considering they have put in 12mil towards the project.

thats incorrect. Projects of this size and especially involving qld govt money always have to go through a development QLD approval process

Hopefully a lot of the environmental/green tape approval stuff has already been ticked off in turning it into a green fields site and doing the preliminary earthworks, but yeah, there will be a lot of planning/development approval processes ahead still. Here’s hoping the Government expedite the process as much as they can.

Last edited:
Trying to think of what ridiculously improbable issue will get in the way now.

Struggling.

We may have something this time.
Hopefully a lot of the environmental/green tape approval stuff has already been ticked off in turning it into a green fields site, but yeah, there will be a lot of planning/development approval processes ahead still. Here’s hoping the Government expedite the process as much as they can.
Someone will discover the Commodore Shell Bogan Turtle, living in the waterway. Meanwhile, the Turnbull Government will be tossed and the Shorten Government will redirect funds to the 'Save The Commodore Shell Bogan Turtle Fund'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back