New facilities in Springfield. Update: funding committed!

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FWIW Whiting pointed to two second line item that I mentioned, not the $15m for women's sport:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-13/new-den-a-step-closer-to-reality-for-lions

That's this one:

So it's entirely possible that is literally us, pending the Regional Grant fund rubber stamp, and the women's sport angle is a bit of a furphy, or as I mooted it's a bit of both.
Thanks, misread the second $15mill as the same as the $15m for the Facilities Program.
The messaging from the club though seems mixed, or ahead of itself, and has done from the start. My impression from Jake was that it was OTL, and maybe it is, but the government messaging is far more cautious.

I can't imagine where my distrust in governments comes from TBH.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jivlain

Pollyanna's statistician
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Swansea City, Gumbies FFC
State Gov waiting for the Fed’s contribution to be rubber stamped. That’s from Andrew Wellington as of last night.
And the federal government is waiting until the state LNP gets its kicks in before rubberstamping it, that way the opposition can claim credit for "forcing" the government to do what it was already doing. Business as usual.

dlanod

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
Moderator #4,186
So are we still waiting on a firm commitment from the Federal Gov now?
Or is it still on the State?
Putting the pieces together:
  • We've got a funding commitment (prior to the budget) from the State Government, which lead to...
  • We've got a letter indicating funding approval from the Federal Government for funding through the Regional Grants fund, which lead to...
  • We've got funding in the budget from the State Government contingent upon matching Federal funds, which lead to...
  • We're waiting on final approval of Regional Grants funding from the Federal Government.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dlions

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
  • We've got a funding commitment (prior to the budget) from the State Government, which lead to...
  • We've got a letter indicating funding approval from the Federal Government for funding through the Regional Grants fund, which lead to...
  • We've got funding in the budget from the State Government contingent upon matching Federal funds, which lead to...
  • We're waiting on final approval of Regional Grants funding from the Federal Government.
Yep, exactly what I thought.

jason pm

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fortitude Valley Diehards. Chelsea.

dlanod

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
Moderator #4,193
We understand the Queensland State Government has allowed in their budgeting for a $15 million contribution to the project, however that has not been specifically allocated to the project in the last State budget as it is effectively dependent on other levels of Government making contributions, including the Federal Government.

We have made a formal application to the Federal Government for funding and we are working with the Federal Government to help them assess our application, recognising that there is a process to be worked through so the project may be assessed on its merits. We will endeavour to keep our stakeholders updated as we work through this process recognising we also need to respect the process that governments have to follow in allocating public funds to community projects.

http://m.lions.com.au/news/2018-08-01/ask-the-chairman-july

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
we also need to respect the process that governments have to follow in allocating public funds to community projects.
What we need is a miner, a banker and an IPA member on the board, change our name to the Brisbane Lions Reef Foundation, and we could skip all that red tape.:cool:

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
...or a supporter who wins 70mil in Oz Lotto tonight, willing to donate some of that money to the Lions.
Have heard this way be dead in the water and that the Academy parents are not keen on Springfield as well. Maybe worth looking at what the Gold Coast Titans have done ie hook up with a local golf club as the premium tenant and develop a couple of ovals onsite

jason pm

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fortitude Valley Diehards. Chelsea.
Have heard this way be dead in the water and that the Academy parents are not keen on Springfield as well. Maybe worth looking at what the Gold Coast Titans have done ie hook up with a local golf club as the premium tenant and develop a couple of ovals onsite
My daughter works at the shopping center right next door to the site and she has told me that earthworks have started there, this was also alluded to by Greg Swan IIRC.

Source?

Dlions

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My daughter works at the shopping center right next door to the site and she has told me that earthworks have started there, this was also alluded to by Greg Swan IIRC.

Source?
I have been there for a look myself and the land has definitely been cleared and the site was fully fenced with the temporary fencing.

Top Bottom