Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I went past the site of the possible future Lions training facilities in Springfield today. There seems to be a fair bit of work going on clearing land / shaping things / building roads (not sure it is all related to the sporting facilities though). They have big signs up which suggest that community sporting facilities will be built no matter what, it is just a question of whether we can get our training facilities paid for as part of it. There were no signs I could see advertising the Lions (although there is a big one on the highway on the way into Springfield off the motorway saying the Lions are coming).

For those from Melbourne, Springfield is about 29 kms south-west from the centre of Brisbane while Burpengary is 35 kms north / north -east I think. For those in Melbourne's east like me, Springfield would be equivalent distance of say Croydon to the city, while Burpengary would be more like Lilydale.

I haven't stopped at Burpengary so I can't comment on it, but I actually think Springfield seems pretty good for an outer suburb - the new areas seem quite nice and it is a couple of minutes from Brookwater Golf course / estate where I think the Scott brothers used to live. Also the transport links to Springfield now seem very good - the train line seems finished and highway seems to have been finished as well.

I actually have family near Springfield so I am a little biased (would be great to be able to come up and see the Lions facilities near by), but I can also understand the negatives as well - no outer suburb is going to have the buzz of an inner city area, so players may not want to live there.

They don't have to live there if its only 29kms....remember Waverley?...too far, middle of nowhere, to this, to that, now slap bang centre of Melbourne.....and its about 29kms from the CBD.......and in our case its only training facilities..

If its better than what we have, they'll get used to it.......I think its only the politics that has got in the way of the actual sites popularity....

Last edited:
You can save some money and cut your wife's hair at home. I do and the results speak for themselves.

haircut.jpeg

Wait, you married Napoleon Dynamite?

In short, Queensland and WA are the boom states- it ain't never going to get much better up here. We need to tap into this boom somehow, and get some backing from one or more of the huge resources companies underpinning the whole thing. After all, we offer as a game unparalleled nationwide exposure for at least 7 months of the year. Obviously it won't be as simple as knocking on the odd door or two and banking cheques, but try telling our marketing problems here to people from my home State.

How I long for the days when Eddie was whinging about us- may they return soon. Money will solve all.

Isn't the Qld Government broke? If Queensland is booming why haven't why tapped into one of these huge resources companies before now? With respect, I have no idea who Conergy was and I drove past an old brick warehouse the other day in Brunswick and saw a national storage sign on it but outside that - I've never heard of them. We aren't attracting many / any high profile sponsors - why could that be?

Isn't the Qld Government broke? If Queensland is booming why haven't why tapped into one of these huge resources companies before now? With respect, I have no idea who Conergy was and I drove past an old brick warehouse the other day in Brunswick and saw a national storage sign on it but outside that - I've never heard of them. We aren't attracting many / any high profile sponsors - why could that be?
'Cause s**t board, losing team.
Sorry, I know that was a rhetorical question.:p

Haso and I first met at our partners' optometrist.
Well I hope they cut your hair then.the results should be very classy indeed .:)Very attractive women. Should imagine they have very good looking partners.

"The AFL showed a massive disdain for the rights of members during last year’s boardroom dispute when CEO Andrew Demetriou rode roughshod over their demands for an EGM to select their own board and instead rammed through a compromise that included Sharpless as chairman."

Strong words from our mate Hammo.

The Lions Roar confirmed via FB that they are neither in favour or opposed to the springfield development, rather that their position is against a lack of transparency surrounding the whole thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most would be happy for the training base to be out there, theh just want to know that it is the best option over other options and why. Considering the conflict of interest on the board around Springfield, its a reasonable request by members.

Unfortunately it looks like Hammo is misrepresenting them.

You mean Hammo isnt writting factually and is instead using snipets to support his own opinions and putting it to print? Doesnt sound like him at all!

Pisasale and Springfield Land Corp are shitting themselves that they might miss out on the millions of $$$ of investment to their region and their mates' pockets. I imagine their journo stooges will be pumping up their tyres to reassure and garner further local support for the Prince of Springfield, Bob Sharpless.
The Ipswich royalty, it seems have slipped down to the big smoke on a promise to bring back riches for the growth corridor and the mission must be successful. This is an aggressive take over bid for our club. Sounds dramatic and over the top? Wait and see how fiercely and underhandedly SLC & Pisasale fight for this. We already have seen Angus fight tooth and nail to retain control, and whilst he may be gone from the board, his interests and ghost remains.
In battle, Angus is what you call collateral damage. He fell on his sword at the 11th hour, but only in the knowledge that is comrade in arms would take up the fight on his behalf. Now, according to local reports and statements from the Prince himself, it will be the board who will work through the process of finding a new CEO. Bob will scream 'til he is blue in the face that the club can make its own arrangements and the battle will be on to install his own choice for CEO, and that CEO will no doubt be a big supporter of the Springfield move.
As I said a week or so ago, I was not opposed to a move to Springfield for a training and admin base, but Bob showed his true colours (oddly) with his "I have a dream" statement. We will see more and more, Pisasale come out from his rock shell in support for his great mate Bob and the riches he was sent down to Brisbane to collect. We can only hope that the AFL are strong on this and see that lining the pockets of a few will not be invisible and that the bigger picture of the club's survival is more important. God help us if Gill is in on the laugh and is here to help Bob. If Malcolm somehow was a thorn in the Springfield side that Gill helped to remove and is on board with the plan to move us west, then we are screwed. The whole situation is now so disgustingly smelly, that we must fight against even having a kids' clinic in Springfield, not even so much as a merchandise stand. I don't even want the players to visit a sick relative in Ipswich region, any link whatsoever is poisonous. These bastards are very powerful, very well connected and oily as all *. We need to resist any suggestion of anything to do with the place lest it be the thin edge of the wedge.
Wait and see what happens with the hunt for a CEO. If they so much as have had lunch once with anyone from Ipswich or Springfield Land Corp or the Labor right for that matter, then we have had the wool pulled over our eyes regarding AFL involvement coming to save us.

End of OTT conspiracy rant.

EDIT: Perceived defamatory language removed to settle the nerves and placate the offended.

Last edited:
The Lethal Lions aren't some emerging advocacy group competitor to TLR that we need to pick sides on. They are a long standing coterie type group of reasonably rich/powerful Lions supporters that have tipped in a fair bit of moola over the years. Powerbrokers essentially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back