Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

It's also not necessarily a bad thing to enter into commercial relationships with organisations that share staff at the top level. It's hardly new. It reduces the chance of nasty surprises emerging a couple of years into development.

I reckon it's up to the board to figure out how to reassure us. Maybe that takes an independent audit, maybe it's something else. From everything that's been said it seems they don't feel the need to ease our troubled minds at all.

Again, on reflection, you are probably correct. Always assuming that the Springfield numbers stack up.

Re the apparent lack of moola flowing from our seemingly buoyant facility at Springwood, I did warn some time ago that the Club had gotten into bed with some very unsavoury [some would say Mafia] people from Adelaide. Maybe this has something to do with it.

There have been some decent profits coming from the facility in springwood in isolation, however most of them have been used in an aggressive repayment of the debt associated with this facility.

On the second, the adelaide company that were doing the food have been gone for a while now. The food was taken in house well over a year ago.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
As per my post. Incredibly wealthy businessman in charge of a successful local company. He wants in. Can bring a wealth of experience and expertise in running successful and profitable orgainsations. On the face of it, what's not to like?

Now whether he and AJ had cooked up something more nefarious is debateable but ultimately, you can't prove it and, moreover, it is probably defamatory.

Genuine question to the people of this board - Does anyone believe that the incumbent Chair joined the board for any reason other than to spearhead the Springfield Project?

Last edited:

No. I think Bob, along with Angus, put a plan in motion a fair while ago, which the AFL was happy with (probably as a solution for the Lion's problem) which is why they are keen to see it through to completion. Just like how the SLC are using the Lions to bring a big sporting team out into their community (and yes bob, whilst it doesn't directly make you money blah blah blah, it's a building block in making your community a desirable location). Likewise, i think the AFL are using them to secure the Lions the facilities we need at next to nothing and would not be shocked if the rumours are true, and the moment the facilities are locked and loaded, bob is gone and Lethal is in.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Genuine question to the people of this board - Does anyone believe that the incumbent Chair joined the board for any reason other than to spearhead the Springfield Project?
Whether he did or not is pretty much irrelevant now, I think in terms of perception his statements have forever compromised him over the issue.

It would be a permanent PR disaster for them to go-ahead with the project with that around its neck. The whole thing would be painted with that stigma from the outset, the media and the fans would never forget it. The project is too important for that to happen.

I think that’s what McLachlan told him at the meeting.

I think it is now most likely the new chair will call for the whole review process to start from scratch. It’s the only way the project could get any clear air.

Need a s**t ton of funds to build new facility. Good luck.

Need much bigger crowds and corporate support or a much better stadium deal to make any profit from football. Good luck.

Paulborracho

Team Captain
Jul 9, 2009
Brislamibad
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The whole Springfield project was dubious at best with Angus and Sharpless set to profit from the new facility.
Surely everyone could see a conflict of interest. At least the AFL must have seen this and are acting accordingly.
Mick Power also has direct interest in Springfield. All a little too on the nose for mine.....

Well, if that article is to be believed, to state the obvious the Demetriou/McLachlan switch has brought about a huge shift in how the AFL views the Springfield development. Which doesn't really say a lot for that the AFL's abilities to assess the situation and come up with a consensus solution.

I'm not in the slightest concerned about Holmes and possibly Sharpless departing, but it's hard to believe that the AFL has a considered plan here, either for their positions or for new facilities.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just putting this out there. GCS only need a home game crowd of 7000 to break even and take onto account that they don't have to pay just to train on their home ground. I would be suggesting to Gil that something even close to that sort of configuration is required to set us straight.

I dont think its about the facility itself, simply the lack of funding. The longer we stay at the gabba the more it costs us / the AFL. I said it recently, we cant afford to wait and year in the hope that we might get the government funding. I think Gill has asked where we are at with it, is it viable. He hasnt liked the answer and we are now switching tracks.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just putting this out there. GCS only need a home game crowd of 7000 to break even and take onto account that they don't have to pay just to train on their home ground. I would be suggesting to Gil that something even close to that sort of configuration is required to set us straight.

I also heard a rumour that they have management rights at the stadium and so profit from other events which are held there.

I also heard a rumour that they have management rights at the stadium and so profit from other events which are held there.

Not much of a rumour - their own website says it's the case - "Metricon Stadium is a Stadiums Queensland venue managed by the Gold Coast Football Club".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

adey115

Premiership Player
Nov 16, 2001
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy side of the family.
Whenever a new leader of a big organisation comes in, they (or the organisation the lead) like to make big 'statements' involving changes that mark the authority and 'stamp' of that new leader on that organisation. Its a great way for an organisation to make a statement - "new broom, he's/she's the right person for the gig, look at how they are making their mark etc".

In light of the last few days, I'm starting to think that one of Gil's stamps will be on the Lions.

ie. axe Springfield idea, axe Holmes and put in a football person, push out Sharpless, yada yada.

It's classic new leader activity, and we're a prime case to be stamped right at the moment. I'm actually not opposed to it as long as our identity isn't lost.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Whenever a new leader of a big organisation comes in, they (or the organisation the lead) like to make big 'statements' involving changes that mark the authority and 'stamp' of that new leader on that organisation. Its a great way for an organisation to make a statement - "new broom, he's/she's the right person for the gig, look at how they are making their mark etc".

In light of the last few days, I'm starting to think that one of Gil's stamps will be on the Lions.

ie. axe Springfield idea, axe Holmes and put in a football person, push out Sharpless, yada yada.

It's classic new leader activity, and we're a prime case to be stamped right at the moment. I'm actually not opposed to it as long as our identity isn't lost.
I'm good with it. We need help.

Don't believe AFL are suddenly opposed to Springfield. More the Springfield or bust one.

Yeah, that's probably a better way to put it.

I think Sharpless's comments recently have probably had an impact here.

Yeah, that's probably a better way to put it.

I think Sharpless's comments recently have probably had an impact here.

New AFL CEO looking to make an impression + Bob's tone-deaf comments + Springfield Heads of Agreement expiring = Perfect (s**t)storm.

New AFL CEO looking to make an impression + Bob's tone-deaf comments + Springfield Heads of Agreement expiring = Perfect (s**t)storm.

There's probably also a bit of his 'man-of-the-people' crusade in this. He'd be well aware that neither Holmes nor Springfield are particularly popular with the Brisbane fans.

Of course, most fans probably wouldn't like the AFL stepping in and imposing their will on the club either, particularly those who don't follow the club's tribulations as closely as we do. Delicate balance.

Without minimising our problems, we're a relatively easy fix in some respects. I think the 3 critical areas for us are (a) leadership; (b) finances; and (c) recruitment/retention.

The AFL can shoe-horn in better leadership - put forward a new CEO, maybe try and make changes at Board level.

Finances can be sorted as long as the AFL is willing to put their hands into their pockets.

To me, it then becomes about recruitment and retention on and off the field. Need to keep the good players we have. Need to get better players in the door. Same with coaching and corporate staff. That's the hardest nut to crack but better leadership and more money will certainly help.

Issues like what has happened with Springfield are a symptom rather than the cause of what is wrong with our club. If the AFL is prepared to help us get a top notch CEO (who can bring in good people) and is willing to spend a lot of money, then I think that it will be relatively easy to put us on the road to recovery. The question is what appetite the AFL has to spend big.

The Springfield "Relocation" paradigm was just given a s**t load of credibility when BS said we would play H&A games at Springfield "one-day".

While I still appreciate the benefits of the deal as it was, if it could have been completed; it's great that Gill has a MANAGEABLE task to sink his teeth into as soon as he gets the big job, because F&B prices was probably going to be a long drawn out battle with an anticlimactic ending.

At the end of the day if we can get our financial issues sorted, have a state of the art facilities upgrade AND keep our training and administration in the metropolitan area of the city we bare the name of - then that is a great outcome.

I'm going to require a fair bit of convincing that anyone can accomplish all three and as such I'm pretty sure most of us will be happy with two out of three.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Without minimising our problems, we're a relatively easy fix in some respects. I think the 3 critical areas for us are (a) leadership; (b) finances; and (c) recruitment/retention.

The AFL can shoe-horn in better leadership - put forward a new CEO, maybe try and make changes at Board level.

Finances can be sorted as long as the AFL is willing to put their hands into their pockets.

To me, it then becomes about recruitment and retention on and off the field. Need to keep the good players we have. Need to get better players in the door. Same with coaching and corporate staff. That's the hardest nut to crack but better leadership and more money will certainly help.

Issues like what has happened with Springfield are a symptom rather than the cause of what is wrong with our club. If the AFL is prepared to help us get a top notch CEO (who can bring in good people) and is willing to spend a lot of money, then I think that it will be relatively easy to put us on the road to recovery. The question is what appetite the AFL has to spend big.

The way I see it the AFL has little alternative, it either fixes it so as to get the club on a breakeven financial basis or it will be contiunually throwing cash into a pit. Pay peanuts get monkeys - it needs to ensure we have a top noth CEO and a workable board. Put that it place and we are a long way toward getting somewhere.

Someone should find out what Mike Whiting thinks about the above ;)

The way I see it the AFL has little alternative

The alternative is to support us just enough to get our heads above water but not enough to allow us to reach parity with the better resourced clubs in the comp.

Brisbane will have an AFL side of some description. And it is hard to imagine it would be anything other than the Brisbane Lions. So survival is not the issue. The question is whether that side is given the same opportunity to win a flag as most sides have. To give us that opportunity, the AFL can't go in half-arsed. It has to be committed to a complete recovery.

That's my biggest concern. That the AFL's support for us will be lukewarm rather than red hot and will simply keep us hovering just above the poverty line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back