Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any sense that having our admin/training base in Springfield will attract some new supporters?
I don't think that'd be part of the plan. If it does, great, but a training facility doesn't tend to offer much for the non-fan.

Is there any sense that having our admin/training base in Springfield will attract some new supporters?

I don't think that'd be part of the plan. If it does, great, but a training facility doesn't tend to offer much for the non-fan.

I imagine the community engagement aspects of the facility will increase our brand awareness in the area ... whether that rolls over into new supporters unsure but I certainly can't hurt!

I imagine the community engagement aspects of the facility will increase our brand awareness in the area ... whether that rolls over into new supporters unsure but I certainly can't hurt!

Having a presence in a high growth area of the state will be pretty good for that you'd think. We'll be giving ourselves every chance to make an impact on the community

Having a presence in a high growth area of the state will be pretty good for that you'd think. We'll be giving ourselves every chance to make an impact on the community
Agree, what some might forget but there was actually nothing out there 20yrs ago and even though it is a satellite city it is growing and quite quickly as well. Personally, I couldn't care less where it's built we just need it, like yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone looking for a literal reference to Springfield it's worth noting...

Although there is no expectation of a direct budget allocation towards the Lions being announced today, the club is hopeful there is enough in the kitty for women’s sport for an election promise to be made for women’s AFL in the coming months.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a...m/news-story/78a03ac7a00ccc530fa15ff7a551af16

Now have a look at women's sport here:

In 2018-19, $15 million will be invested in the delivery of the Female Facilities Program to support female participation in sport and recreation. Female achievements in the sport and recreation industry will be acknowledged, with $8,000 for the Start Playing Stay Playing Excellence Awards. Women will continue to be encouraged to enter male dominated sports, including through funding for the development of local sporting infrastructure.

https://budget.qld.gov.au/files/Budget2018-19_BudgetStatements_Women.pdf

There's also at least another $15m for "sporting infrastructure" including references to "Some proposals will require matching contributions from other levels of government", which parts of the commitment can be stashed under.

This bloody saga is THE epitome of frustration.
tenor.gif

I can't say I'm filled with confidence, and wonder how much the club's confidence has been oversold.
In 2018-19, $15 million will be invested in the delivery of the Female Facilities Program to support female participation in sport and recreation.
$15 mill for a "Facilities Program", and spending the lot on one facility? That's not exclusively a female facility?

The Lions have applied for $15 million through a federal 'regional growth' fund that it hopes to get approval on in the coming months...

"The club would love to know the outcome of the federal funding bid but it understands governments take time on these things."

What happened to the "promised" funding to "be put aside" in this budget? It seems a bit hidden or tenuous if it's being disguised as a 'Female Facility Program'.
And what of the letter "from the Federal Government, pledging its support"?

490503_a5fcaec4f7f8ef41dc1e79da8e9f62f3.png
Now we're "hoping" and "would love to know"?

I mean, the club and Jake were 'off the record' confident, a long time ago, yet we're now hoping, despite "commitments".

I can't say I'm filled with confidence, and wonder how much the club's confidence has been oversold.

$15 mill for a "Facilities Program", and spending the lot on one facility? That's not exclusively a female facility?

What happened to the "promised" funding to "be put aside" in this budget? It seems a bit hidden or tenuous if it's being disguised as a 'Female Facility Program'.

View attachment 511942

I mean, the club and Jake were 'off the record' confident, a long time ago, yet we're now hoping, despite "commitments".

I wouldn’t overthink the nebulous names governments give to line items in budgets.

The government would rather the optics of putting aside 15 million designated for “women’s sport” than flat out saying it’s “15 million for a GAYFL team”.

View attachment 511942

I wouldn’t overthink the nebulous names governments give to line items in budgets.

The government would rather the optics of putting aside 15 million designated for “women’s sport” than flat out saying it’s “15 million for a GAYFL team”.

FWIW Whiting pointed to two second line item that I mentioned, not the $15m for women's sport:

The budget has a line item for $15 million – exactly what the Lions have asked for - set aside for a community sporting project, on the condition is it matched by other tiers of government.

Those "other tiers" are the federal government.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-13/new-den-a-step-closer-to-reality-for-lions

That's this one:

There's also at least another $15m for "sporting infrastructure" including references to "Some proposals will require matching contributions from other levels of government", which parts of the commitment can be stashed under.

So it's entirely possible that is literally us, pending the Regional Grant fund rubber stamp, and the women's sport angle is a bit of a furphy, or as I mooted it's a bit of both.

FWIW Whiting pointed to two second line item that I mentioned, not the $15m for women's sport:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-13/new-den-a-step-closer-to-reality-for-lions

That's this one:

So it's entirely possible that is literally us, pending the Regional Grant fund rubber stamp, and the women's sport angle is a bit of a furphy, or as I mooted it's a bit of both.
Thanks, misread the second $15mill as the same as the $15m for the Facilities Program.
The messaging from the club though seems mixed, or ahead of itself, and has done from the start. My impression from Jake was that it was OTL, and maybe it is, but the government messaging is far more cautious.

I can't imagine where my distrust in governments comes from TBH.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back