Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree in winter but it makes little difference this time of year. They broadcast cricket from both ends.
Possibly not with Melbourne's long twlights, but the sun sets earlier the further north you go - about an hours difference this time of year. Trust me, any thought of "atmosphere" with stands in the background is not even in the thought of anyone invloved in setting up cameras. But no one in their right minds would set up a camera on the eastern side of the groundknowing that at 4pm it's going to have the sun coming in at it. It would be even wrose during the winter months. And on top of all that, I'm pretty sure the stand on the western side has been set up with media in mind.

The grandstand should be good for either 1 camera in the middle or one each end of the grandstand
Or they are actually behind the glass section which opens up for cameras during play.
They will still have other cameras around the ground in what they consider the best places for the broadcast

1669361805898.jpeg

full

I think it's fair to assume that after spending 80 million dollars on a training and home ground venue for aflw football they haven't reached this stage and gone oh s**t what about broadcasts?!

I would imagine we would have gotten input from broadcasters regarding what they would need to do so effectively

The bottom of that grandstand is a long way above the playing surface so the top of that grandstand will be sufficiently high I would think. I wouldn't be shocked if there are camera mounts and access on top of the roof even

Ground looked fantastic on TV - for those that attended how did things look and operate considering the rushed nature of preparations?
Ground appeared to be fine for the players. No sign of unsafe ripping up of turf etc A slight sprinkle of rain wasn't enough to judge how it deals with water. The stadium is immaculate for spectators. Ground level is terraced right around next to the fence. This created a great seated viewing capacity for those next to fence. Then the hill at northern end was great. Top area has retreat area for more established final drinks and food. Today drinks and food were just a bit more temporary and well a bit insufficient. Something I'm sure they'll review based on this first run. "The Hill" height height gave feel of higher grand stand opposite to the actual southern club building. Stadium has room for expansion as facility demand grows. Perhaps they'll open an additional entrance and exit to allow people flow to train station not joining to carpark queue entering. But being first time many drove cars today. But trains and buses terminal is perfectly situated less than 300m from front gate. It a modern stadium that pisses all over anything any other state has.

Another 1000 would have been a little uncomfortable, but it will be splendid next year for AFLW and VFL games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The grandstand didn't look full to me.
Looked pretty full to me. Remember, people are wandering off all over the ground all the time. We had an extra hanging with us that would have been in the stands, and there was a lot for kids to do outside of the game. Bloody Melbourne supporters in the stands were vocal.

Agree with this.
But it only holds 600 people so maybe there were 100 seats spare in there so doesn’t make much of a difference to the overall outcome.
Official figures were 7412, if they only sold 7500 tickets then maybe the 88 that didn’t turn up had seats in the Grandstand?

Agree with this.
But it only holds 600 people so maybe there were 100 seats spare in there so doesn’t make much of a difference to the overall outcome.
Official figures were 7412, if they only sold 7500 tickets then maybe the 88 that didn’t turn up had seats in the Grandstand?
Unfortunately it turned out I had a prior engagement with the QAS & PA.

I was staying to my mate yesterday, if the capacity is 8.5k, I don't know where the extra 1k would go. All over the concourse on the eastern side perhaps? Not ideal really. I can't wait to be able to attend every match there, it passed almost every test.

As someone who lives in Melbourne now (but gets up for several mens games at the Gabba) Springfield makes it a lot easier to get along to a VFL game or to an AFLW game too. The Burp was a tough ask from where my family is based and springfield a hell of a lot more convenient.

At one stage their was a section that had a fair amount of vacant seats
That filled up just after the game started
I imagine a lot of the actual Melbourne team support group had a bunch of those seats
I happen to walk past just as the Melbourne team went onto the ground.
Their were a lot of people in Melbourne gear wearing VIP tags

The ground would hold the reported 8,000 in comfort.

I think they most likely sold 8,000 and 588 did not turn up for various reasons

The packed hill looked absolutely specky on the teev.
The hill is higher than it looks in pictures, so it was possible to get a pretty reasonable view of the game from there. Definitely a better view than you get when squished down in the bottom sections of the Gabba.

The cloud cover and breeze made the conditions pretty comfortable. Given AFLW games will generally be earlier in the year and likely at night, the hill will be a great spot to watch the games from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back