Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Facilities will still be built. The extra funding is for it to include a stadium and the crazy expensive lights that allow TV broadcast (among other things).
The $30million shortfall won't stop training and admin facilities for the Lions to be built. Just a smaller less sexy building, less landscaping, seating/stands etc.
Training and admin facilities will still be built. We'll just lose our AFLW team.

Please don't let facts get in the way of my melt fellas.

Thanks for letting me know

If the Afl want to broadcast at Night for the womens game then they should pay for the lights as required.
Therefore leaving both state and federal governments needing to find about 15 to 20 mil between them for the stands rather than 30 mil.
But I think it has had the sniff of an election promise for a while.
We have gone full circle. At least we have the funding to get the T&A base up and going.

wantok

All Australian
Jan 3, 2012
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Full page ad in today's CM promoting keeping Harness Racing at Albion Park and giving prominent reference to use as a venue for AFLW. This Ad would probably have been funded by Kevin Seymour a seriously wealthy Qlder. No lighting problem there ! Could also house office and training facilities. This is a serious alternative to Springfield that keeps the Lions home in Brisbane. It needs renewed attention from Swanny and the board. It should be investigated without prejudice.
facebook.com/AlbionParkvision

upload_2017-9-9_19-31-0.png

Full page ad in today's CM promoting keeping Harness Racing at Albion Park and giving prominent reference to use as a venue for AFLW. This Ad would probably have been funded by Kevin Seymour a seriously wealthy Qlder. No lighting problem there ! Could also house office and training facilities. This is a serious alternative to Springfield that keeps the Lions home in Brisbane. It needs renewed attention from Swanny and the board. It should be investigated without prejudice.

View attachment 413880

Probably a bit too late for that mate.

View attachment 413880

There would be no option for a stadium there at all with the track still there. If it was a realistic option it wouldnt have been one of the many discounted and ruled out.

wantok

All Australian
Jan 3, 2012
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There would be no option for a stadium there at all with the track still there. If it was a realistic option it wouldnt have been one of the many discounted and ruled out.
This is a new option proposed by The Harness Racing Club who are fighting to retain their heritage at the Creek. It is a redevelopment of the complete site. It is not what the Lions have considered a year ago or two years ago Fatcat08. They are not just proposing to stick an undersized oval on the middle of the existing track BRAB. There is $63 million in the Racing Development Fund potentially available for use or a self funded separate proposal from Kevin Seymour of the Harness club. Springfield is far from a fait accompli. It has financial and political problems that remain unresolved. The Libs are reticent to spend funds in Labor safe seats. Albion Park sits in contestable political territory with Labor and Libs both seeing potential in the surrounding Brisbane central seats. Labor also has to do something very quickly with an election looming to sort out the mess they have made of Racing in general. This new proposal got legs and funds and personally i see a better future for the Lions in Brisbane heartland. At least a look at the Facebook site and read the article before dismissing this as a viable option.
upload_2017-9-9_21-18-26.png

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/natio...s/news-story/244d7c2921886e5fe071c87aef4fc28c

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If the oval is big enough, can't see why it wouldn't work. Doesn't matter if there is a trotting track around the outside if we have all other requirements there.

We would just have to work in with their race days and trials....no biggy imo, can be worked around.

At least a look at the Facebook site and read the article before dismissing this as a viable option.
I'm not sure the opinion of us on BF matters a heap on this one...? I'm assuming that if people posting Albion Park are in any way competent they have already booked their meeting with the Lions? Or is it just a Facebook page and proposal?

I'm not sure the opinion of us on BF matters a heap on this one...? I'm assuming that if people posting Albion Park are in any way competent they have already booked their meeting with the Lions? Or is it just a Facebook page and proposal?

I may be cynical but..
If they are making a last minute bid it shows that they are not serious about helping us - they have had plenty of years to show consideration to us. To me it could be a case of well we have failed to get what we want lets look at who has money and see how we can get our hands on that.

I may be cynical but..
If they are making a last minute bid it shows that they are not serious about helping us - they have had plenty of years to show consideration to us. To me it could be a case of well we have failed to get what we want lets look at who has money and see how we can get our hands on that.
That is how it very much came across to myself as well... "Our place is in danger, so let's see who we can rope in.". Doesn't feel great for ongoing collaboration, ala Mr Kevin Mitchell.

That is how it very much came across to myself as well... "Our place is in danger, so let's see who we can rope in.". Doesn't feel great for ongoing collaboration, ala Mr Kevin Mitchell.

I still wonder about kevs retirement. Gotta think the timing says kev you need to change and he couldn't cope with that.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I may be cynical but..

Could it be possible they didn't know we were looking for somewhere?....afterall, we don't get a lot of exposure of our inner workings or needs up there.

Could it be possible they didn't know we were looking for somewhere?....afterall, we don't get a lot of exposure of our inner workings or needs up there.

We've had a lot of media coverage on this issue over the past 5 years in the local paper. And around election time and whenever large government grants are discussed. No way they've missed it especially as they are competing for government $.

BrisVegasDru

Senior List
Sep 4, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is a new option proposed by The Harness Racing Club who are fighting to retain their heritage at the Creek. It is a redevelopment of the complete site. It is not what the Lions have considered a year ago or two years ago Fatcat08. They are not just proposing to stick an undersized oval on the middle of the existing track BRAB. There is $63 million in the Racing Development Fund potentially available for use or a self funded separate proposal from Kevin Seymour of the Harness club. Springfield is far from a fait accompli. It has financial and political problems that remain unresolved. The Libs are reticent to spend funds in Labor safe seats. Albion Park sits in contestable political territory with Labor and Libs both seeing potential in the surrounding Brisbane central seats. Labor also has to do something very quickly with an election looming to sort out the mess they have made of Racing in general. This new proposal got legs and funds and personally i see a better future for the Lions in Brisbane heartland. At least a look at the Facebook site and read the article before dismissing this as a viable option.
View attachment 413921
http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/natio...s/news-story/244d7c2921886e5fe071c87aef4fc28c
The land is owned by Racing Queensland, who have separate plans for it.

View attachment 413921

In what way does any of the above have to do with the lions afl or aflw sides? One synthetic AFL field in the middle of a track isn't going to suit the needs of a football club.

The whole thing strikes me as a last resort to try to grab onto some political capital at the last minute

Back