Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Blacktown allegedly has a capacity of 8,000. While it has token stadium seating on one wing realistically it's just a banked hill right around the field that's going to be holding at least 7,000 of those entrants.

This is exactly the model they should be using. It is a nice little ground with a decent sized grandstand that has good facilities for toilets, media, coaches boxes. The banked hill around it is a decent size and it has lights and a scoreboard.

This is exactly the type of thing they should be building. The stand adds a fair bit to the cost but just allows the ground to become an event destination and might actually make it easier to build the facility rather than harder.

That article was from a few years ago though. Haven't really kept up to date with anything other than the Airport move I must say. Would be a nice location for another social venue perhaps or if the Airport move is a no go then it wouldn't be the worst of locations for a main training facility.
Greg Swann spoke at length on Wednesday night at the members forum in Melbourne, saying the massive impact of the womens competition, and the huge girls enrollment has changed the dynamics of this situation. They now have approaches from a number of local government areas who wish to host a boutiques facility with grandstand, accommodating the training facility,and the women's matches.The state government, and its considerable female caucus representation are now also actively involved.As a result,the club ,rightly will now take a step back,his phrase, and reconsider, what appear to be better options,and support.Expect more on this mid year.Also David Noble said the Academy will be doubled in size of enrollment and coaches,male and female in the next 12 months,from under 15 up I think it was.These guys are going hard and fast and are putting in enormously. Fagan said the welfare staff are now 5,and meet the coaches weekly.Hawthorn, he said, have 2 ! The meeting I think,and from feedback at Etihad last night ,was terrific,in tone and content.

tumblr_m9fbufwsqn1qc882co2_250.gif~c200

Last time the Lions were considering a move to Springfield it created internal divisions within the club between those who saw it as an opportunity to secure their future and another faction who believed the club would lose its Brisbane identity if they moved into a different city.
And those who saw it for what it was; A rort for developers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not exactly in a position to be fussy though at this stage unfortunately..

I've got to the stage that as long as we get new facilities I don't care.....the club will go where they can, with what is available. Not ideal of course, but we really can't wait too much longer, it's taken long enough now..

Was told a week of so ago that Government wasn't coming to the party with airport funding but that other options had presented themselves.

But Springfield... Jesus. :/

Bob Sharpless' controversial claim from a few years ago that Lions games could one day be played at Springfield suddenly seems prescient though doesn't it?

Last edited:
And things had been so positive:( It seems this cancer has just been in remission. Sharpless needs to go or this will just keep festering away. They'll lose me after 20 years.

oh FFS, what was the whole point of the last few years then

Trying to get funding for facilities ANYWHERE.

The same reason Springfield fell over to begin with.

Peppercorn lease, new facilities, maybe even another social club - what exactly is the problem ?

Sharpless is a multi multi millionaire $182 of them according to Google, of course he will benefit, on another note Tommy Sherrin and his family have been involved in Collingwood FC since before 1892 when it was known as Britannia, pushed his Sherrin football at any and every opportunity.

Funnily enough a 1929 tour of Tassie by the club resulted in a couple fo football leagues starting to use Sherrin Footballs.

People don't do nada for nada, but what works is a win/win.

Peppercorn lease, new facilities, maybe even another social club - what exactly is the problem ?

Some people have an odd desire for the Brisbane Lions to be based in the city of Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back