Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still very disappointed with this outcome
Can't really wait around for the dream location to pop up though. It's just not going to happen sadly or nothing this well funded it seems. The current facilities are dire. No where to go in summer/pre-season. Lions AFLW needs a decent venue. Beggars can't be choosers.

I'm still very disappointed with this outcome
I'll get past my disappointment when we finally have an AFL level training facility. I'm sure the players would soon get past having to go for a 30ish minute drive down the highway from the Gabba to have decent facilities too.

Go multi story on the current Land Centre / Go Print site between Leopard Street and Main Street.

I know you're just spitballing, but this site is earmarked for residential development and where the Landcentre building is situated is currently is the planned new railway station as part of the Cross River Rail.

I can't speak for everybody but the general feeling was that the reason Springfield was so unappetising last time was the appearance of due diligence not being followed in relation to other sites. We've seen a lot of investigation into other sites, but this is where we've ended up and it's not for a lack of exploring options. If it goes ahead, I'll be satisfied that this was the best we could get under the current climate.

Queensland Government aren't real happy with the federal budget. Missed out again.
Gil might have some work to do to get that 15mil over the line. Its about time he started to put in the hard yards for us.
Gillon McLachlan to meet with Queensland government over new Brisbane Lions base
Andrew Hamilton, The Courier-Mail
an hour ago
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan will meet with State Government ministers on Wednesday to push the case for a boutique stadium at Springfield.

The AFL want the Government to contribute $15 million towards the stadium, which would incorporate the Brisbane Lions new training and administration base.

McLachlan has a scheduled meeting with sports minister Mick de Brenni. He is also hoping for the opportunity to personally assure Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk of the AFL’s commitment to the sport in Queensland and its intention to make a major financial contribution to the new development.

SWANS SPANKING: LIONS IN WRONG PLACE AT WRONG TIME

MARK ROBINSON: HOW MUCH IS THIS YOUNG LION WORTH?

It is the first time McLachlan has personally entered the fray with the Palaszczuk government in the Lions’ long-running battle to find a new home.

Sources say the club has never been closer to striking a deal.

It is understood Brisbane have secured a funding package from the AFL and Ipswich City Council worth $15 million for their new headquarters and have been offered a peppercorn lease on the land from the Springfield Land Corporation.

02e4711ff67902cc17c452b14166fbeb

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan. Picture: Sarah Matray
2c7d3233c8fd022c8a3d6a1ada789974

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk. Picture: Annette Dew
The AFL is desperate to get a venue suitable for the successful AFLW competition and also pre-season JLT matches.

Brisbane’s long-term agreement with the Gabba restricts its access to its home ground until the first AFL premiership match of the season.

The Lions have taken home pre-season games to regional Queensland and Burpengary in recent years and the women’s side played their home-and-away fixtures at Brendale.

Brisbane have the worst facilities in the AFL by a long way but have struggled to interest either the Federal or State Government in their plight.

However, investing in women’s sport is seen as a vote winner.

The AFL and Ipswich will fund the training and administration base, which will house both men’s and women’s teams if the State Government will contribute to the construction of a stadium with a small grandstand and hills and terraces that could house 15,000.

f96dccb45155f7e9afd8e7ddbde56a34

Brisbane Lions players at training. Picture: Darren England
The Lions drew a crowd of 15,610 for the AFLW Grand Final against Adelaide, which was played at Metricon Stadium after Gabba officials refused access to the ground over concerns over the state of the pitch following the Adele concert.

It plunged already strained relationships between the Brisbane Lions and the AFL and Stadiums Queensland to a new low.

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––
opt-out-icon2.png

in-art-soundanimation-icon-41x48.gif

Last time the Lions were considering a move to Springfield it created internal divisions within the club between those who saw it as an opportunity to secure their future and another faction who believed the club would lose its Brisbane identity if they moved into a different city.

There was also concerns over Lions chairman Bob Sharpless’ potential conflict of interest in his role as vice-president of SLC.

However, Sharpless is scheduled to stand aside as Lions chairman at the end of the present term.

The Lions eventually walked away from the initial Springfield proposal when $15 million in promised Federal Government funding fell over when the Gillard government lost power.

Queensland Government aren't real happy with the federal budget. Missed out again.
Gil might have some work to do to get that 15mil over the line. Its about time he started to put in the hard yards for us.

They might be saying their disappointed but I'd imagine that its fairly close to what they expected. Realistically with a state election not that far away they were never in line for too many favors from a liberal federal govt. Doubt the budget would change too much in the way of their planning TBH

They might be saying their disappointed but I'd imagine that its fairly close to what they expected. Realistically with a state election not that far away they were never in line for too many favors from a liberal federal govt. Doubt the budget would change too much in the way of their planning TBH
If the election is not that far away, then they better get in quick before we end up with a situation like last time. With the money not being matched by the new government.

If the election is not that far away, then they better get in quick before we end up with a situation like last time. With the money not being matched by the new government.
I know this is not the politics thread, but I do not believe the Liberals are getting back in.

I'll vote for anyone that guarantees us a start up $100,000,000 to establish a state of the art Administration/Training/AFLW game facility anywhere with 5km as the crow flies of the Brisbane GPO.

I'll vote for anyone that guarantees us a start up $100,000,000 to establish a state of the art Administration/Training/AFLW game facility anywhere with 5km as the crow flies of the Brisbane GPO.

Then their opposing candidate offers a free Chupa Chup to every Broncos supporter and wins the election in a landslide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had to go out to Springfield this morning to have a look at a job.
Left from coorparoo at exactly 9am drove past the Springfield Central train station at 9.29am.
So half an hour at that time of the morning i didnt think was too bad.
But after taking the exit off the Ipswich Motorway it seemed to take foreveeeeer! It felt a lot further than it was. And could easily see it becoming a drag. It really does seem to be in the middle of nowhere.
But i was pleasantly surprised it only took 30mins.
Coming home on the other hand was another thing entirely. Left there at 10 and it took me 1hr and 10mins. Truck had broken down.

Then their opposing candidate offers a free Chupa Chup to every Broncos supporter and wins the election in a landslide.
Let's go! Broncos!

I want a Chuppa Chup. :oops:

Left from coorparoo at exactly 9am drove past the Springfield Central train station at 9.29am.
But after taking the exit off the Ipswich Motorway it seemed to take foreveeeeer! It felt a lot further than it was. And could easily see it becoming a drag. It really does seem to be in the middle of nowhere.
Coming home on the other hand was another thing entirely. Left there at 10 and it took me 1hr and 10mins. Truck had broken down.

I'd be a lot quicker if you lived in the area. Just saying.

Take the train?

As an Ipswich resident I'm stoked!

Aussie rules supporters are few and far between around here though. I've seen a handful of membership bumper stickers in the 7 years I've been here. In fact, if you wear Guernsey around town you're pretty likely to cop some kind of sledge from a local crackhead.

Last edited:
As an Ipswich resident I'm stoked!

Aussie rules supporters are few and far between around here though. I've seen a handful of membership bumper stickers in the 7 years I've been here. In fact, if you wear Guernsey around town you're pretty likely to cop some kind of sledge from a local crackhead.

Well then, you now have a job. You are our new Lions Ambassador spreading all things Lions to the locals.

Stay strong and hang in there, the club is depending on you:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back