Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh my God you blokes must be related to Jake with the love fest that's going on in here.

Seriously this is great news for the whole club and can't wait to see the project signed off and development begin. Exciting times ahead, we should be pushing up the ladder by then and with the new facilities luring players will be a lot easier.

Yes, I reiterate what Skoob said above re Jake.

I'm sure he just said 2019 Skoob as being ready, no mention of a specific date eg. pre season, round 1 etc.

Also only the State government funding has to be signed off on (extremely close) and the feds will match $ for $.
The MDA had an agreement in place with the federal Government for funding of about 30mil. Is that to be incorporated in with the funds that we receive to go towards the project.
30mil - MDA
15mil - State Government
15mil - Federal Government
10mil from AFl
70mil - Total

The MDA had an agreement in place with the federal Government for funding of about 30mil. Is that to be incorporated in with the funds that we receive to go towards the project.
30mil - MDA
15mil - State Government
15mil - Federal Government
10mil from AFl
70mil - Total
The State and Federal amounts are correct as is the total, I can not recall the other details of funding. They did give us a multi page dossier on the proposal which was confiscated after the forum. ICC was also putting in some $.

The State and Federal amounts are correct as is the total, I can not recall the other details of funding. They did give us a multi page dossier on the proposal which was confiscated after the forum. ICC was also putting in some $.
International Cricket Council? Oh No!
International City Church?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I'd move discussion back to here.

A lot of pros and cons have been discussed at length in the thread on this forum, but a lot was made clearer, and by a guy who has his finger on the pulse in this area.
The comparisons were made with Hawthorn, Essendon and St Kilda. Hawks are moving to Dingley and the Bombers are out at Broadmeadows. You're from Melbourne, so you know how far they are from either the city, or their traditional homes. Seaford was a fairly cheap facility in comparison, and further than any other clubs moved, to an area that offers little.
I don't get out and about like I used to for work, so it's been a few years since I've ventured out to Springfield, but apparently it is developing nicely. The growth there is phenomenal and is becoming quite the city. The facility will be 5* times bigger and better than the Seaford facility. (*May not be mathematically correct, but not far off).
I didn't like the idea of Springfield either, for a number of reasons. Put it this way, any objection to connections between Sharpless, Springfield Land Corp and Pisasale are forgotten and were not raised by anyone. They simply don't matter anymore.
Forget this being an office block with a gym and a couple of ovals. This thing is soooo much more. For what is now planned, there is literally nowhere in Brisbane that this can be built, certainly for anywhere near the money (which is significant).
Dingley & Broadmeadows are both suburbs of Melbourne unlike Springfield being a suburb of Brisbane. (NOT) There is a major difference there. Never ever said this facility was going to be "an office block with a gym and a couple of ovals." so I don't need to forget about it really do I?
I have 3 questions to ask you & others who invest in this facility discussion:
a) If we were looking at a new facility back when we were successful in 01,02 & 03, do you think there's a chance Brisbane City Council may have "found us" a place to build & financially support the move?
b) Would the Brisbane Bronco's Board, Supporters & Brisbane City Council ever consider a similar move from Red Hill to well outside the Brisbane area?
c) Do you think that maybe if we start to become "relevant" again over the next 3-5 years (fingers crossed) , we may have some encouragement to move back into Brisbane from "relevant" & influential people similar to what Moorabbin City Council have now realised?

Facts: I know we are going to Springfield. I know the facility will be first class. I know its a long way away from Brisbane CBD.

It's not really a long way from Brisbane. It is literally 4km from the edge of the Brisbane City Council area. How many of the Melbourne clubs are actually in the Melbourne City Council area? Sure we have much bigger councils and council areas but essentially Ipswich, Logan, Redland City and parts of the Moreton Bay Council area are so connected to Brisbane as to be practically indistinguishable. The Melbourne Metropolitan area has 28 councils included in it, which ones would you classify as too far out of Melbourne to be considered Melbourne?

Dingley & Broadmeadows are both suburbs of Melbourne unlike Springfield being a suburb of Brisbane. (NOT) There is a major difference there. Never ever said this facility was going to be "an office block with a gym and a couple of ovals." so I don't need to forget about it really do I?
I have 3 questions to ask you & others who invest in this facility discussion:
a) If we were looking at a new facility back when we were successful in 01,02 & 03, do you think there's a chance Brisbane City Council may have "found us" a place to build & financially support the move?
b) Would the Brisbane Bronco's Board, Supporters & Brisbane City Council ever consider a similar move from Red Hill to well outside the Brisbane area?
c) Do you think that maybe if we start to become "relevant" again over the next 3-5 years (fingers crossed) , we may have some encouragement to move back into Brisbane from "relevant" & influential people similar to what Moorabbin City Council have now realised?

Facts: I know we are going to Springfield. I know the facility will be first class. I know its a long way away from Brisbane CBD.
A) Jake Anson was adamant that multiple locations had been investigated nearer the Brisbane CBD and that there were zero options that would be suitable for what we are wanting. He said there are a lot of green spaces but the vast majority of them are old landfill sites, in flood prone areas or not suitable for other reasons.
B) The Broncos are the love child of Government, media and the public and that will never change. IIRC the Lions development will be 3 times (maybe 5) times bigger than the extended Broncos facility at Red Hill.
C) Do we want to wait another 3-5 and hope we become relevant and pray/wish that the BCC will find an appropriate parcel of land with as good a deal as we have been offered at Springfield?

I have been out to Springfield a few times over the last 6 months or so, my daughter works at Springfield central, we have taken grand kids to the lagoon/water park and have been out for meals, all very close to where the proposed base will be. It is actually a really nice area and has a good vibe about it.

They have also taken into account lifestyle preferences eg. coffee, snacks, shopping etc for players and staff.
It was said that the players wouldn't mind the 20 minute drive (Sherwood area to Springfield) especially when most of them will be in Audi's.

It's not really a long way from Brisbane. It is literally 4km from the edge of the Brisbane City Council area. How many of the Melbourne clubs are actually in the Melbourne City Council area? Sure we have much bigger councils and council areas but essentially Ipswich, Logan, Redland City and parts of the Moreton Bay Council area are so connected to Brisbane as to be practically indistinguishable. The Melbourne Metropolitan area has 28 councils included in it, which ones would you classify as too far out of Melbourne to be considered Melbourne?
This was mentioned by Jake as well.

I think Caiphus covered off on the geography pretty well, Forward We Go .
"Well outside" and "a long way away" is over selling it.

I always disliked the idea as well, as I'm a traditionalist, but to be honest, I doubt the Broncos supporters would care either. As long as their pokies club stays and games remain to be played at Suncorp, that's all that matters. The Gabba remains the home ground for the senior men's team.
Our women currently play the majority if not all home games in Moreton Bay. Coorparoo, while being nice and central, is a shithole of a ground, due to it having so much traffic (I think the most used ground in Brisbane football).

The office block and gym comment wasn't specific to you, but has been a common impression from many of the suggestions of alternate sites. The scale of this excludes so many suggestions, particularly existing footy grounds.

Nup. From all reports, whilst cities like Gold Coast and Shires like Pine Rivers/Moreton Bay like spending on community sport, the BCC gives nothing, literally handing over the keys to sports grounds, collecting the rent and leaving clubs to maintain everything themselves. This council won't be giving away anything to sport, and it has been that way for a very long time.

Along with the AFLW team, will the reserves also play all their home games at Springfield, aside from when they play curtain raisers to the Gabba?
I think ideally, although I don't if it would be "all". Their "home" tends to move a bit over the years, so presume they may still play occasional games at Brendale or wherever.
Who knows what the NEAFL might look like in a few years as well?

Yeah, I think they're taking the piss a bit calling Portsea a part of the metropolitan Melbourne area. It's a 110km drive, for ****'s sake!!

Not really a "like for like" comparison. Brisbane City Council is the biggest geographical cbd council in Australia. More than 2 times (closer to 3 times) larger than Melbourne. As for the point about how many clubs are in their council region, many more than us I can assure you. Furthermore, we only have 1 AFL team in Brisbane and home base will be outside this area.....go figure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back