New facilities? Update: Smoke on the Springfield

Discussion in 'Brisbane Lions' started by Ironmonger, May 7, 2014.

Put it out there
  1. Panthera

Panthera Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    I'm OK with not having that as it'd likely only be a game per pre-season. And as much as I want the women's team to succeed, they've been in for 2 seconds so having a top end T&A base is top priority :thumbsu:

Eons likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. BuntonRules

BuntonRules long term substance abuser

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    South Adelaide,Whitsunday SeaEagles
    Politics. The women are "flavour of the month". Smart move do distance the funding from our needs and focus it on the Lionesses - if we get no funding, they have no where to play.

Back2Back2Back likes this.
  3. lioninthesand

lioninthesand Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Thats what I am getting at, we have what we need to go ahead with the facility, we are just now being opotunistic in trying to get a stadium thrown in for the AFLW team.

TBH.. I'd prefer we worry about getting our AFL facility sorted without further muddying the water as that is the number 1 priority, can't we just go ahead with that stage of the project if the money is there?

4. TheBrownDog

TheBrownDog Moderator

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
    But we are going ahead with it. No waters are being muddied by continuing to lobby for funding to turn it into a stadium as well.

5. Skoob

Skoob Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    A few things;
    • Community elements also depend on the extra funding. These include, but not limited to things like lecture theatres, bigger pool, cafes, meeting rooms and possibly extra ovals. These are all revenue streams for the club, both directly as rent-able spaces, but also important sources for immersing the club in the community. Recognition and association drives membership and sponsorship $$$$$.
    • The men's reserves team will also have its home here, so things like the stadium seating and associated facilities while not totally necessary, make for a more enjoyable experience and atmosphere than places like the paddock at Coorparoo.
    • From a construction point of view, it is far cheaper and easier to build the complete shebang in one hit than to come back a year later and add extensions and re-dig parts of the grounds. That $30mil now, could need to be $40mil in another year or 2.
    Yes, we can go ahead and build training and admin facilities which is the priority, but without the extra funding, in terms of what the entire project could be and in comparison to other AFL clubs, it would remain virtually half arsed, with nothing to generate income.
    We're talking $30mil out of an $80mil project. That extra, isn't just some seats and lights for the women. Everyone benefits.

6. lioninthesand

lioninthesand Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Ohhh sweet, thank you for clarification. I thought it had become all interdependent, excellent. So when we see 'fears over project'.. that is only regarding the stadium?

7. Scubaveg

Scubaveg Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    The Steve Bracks effect.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

MacMum and BrizzyBandit like this.
  8. WhiteLionFeva

WhiteLionFeva Premium Gold

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Mt Gravatt, MHSOB, FFC, CGS
    A contact in Coffs Harbour who is a local councillor has just told me the PM was up there today to announce federal funding for an upgrade to their "International Stadium". Similar situation, local council kicking in some and Cth topping it up. Not the money we are after apparently but seems if there is a political will there is a way.

9. Skoob

Skoob Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Unfortunately, Coffs is a National Party stronghold. No surprise an LNP Government continues to pour money into it. Springfield on the other hand...
    The federal contribution is pretty much dependant on state funds. They agree to match, dollar for dollar, but we need the State Gov to give.

10. Tassie4ever

Tassie4ever Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Hawthorn
    Oh so true- Ipswich is a Labor Party stronghold and, trust me, if you aren't part of the tribe forget it. All of this lies at the heart of the current Council difficulties [at a recent Board meeting in response to quite gentle questioning I was told by a Council insider that the CCC had been after Pisasle "for years", without success].

My come back- the CCC wouldn't be wasting its time without expecting a return on time invested. We all have bosses.

That said, with a State election soon there is every likelihood that Anastascia will stump up some moola. The current local problems might do with a bit of oil on troubled waters.

Just my opinion.

11. Back2Back2Back

Back2Back2Back Premium Gold

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    We really need a couple of wealthy benefactors to donate some good chunks of cash to us and get some infrastructure named after them.

Lions_Insider maybe if we start firing trust funds into the crowd instead of tshirts that'll attract the more hoity toity types to the games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. winged1

winged1 Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    The last trust fund kid we had fired a club legend in the most cringe worthy way. A way all members should still be ashamed of.

How about we just run a good club and get the members back and leave the f!@#ers to go and find a different play thing.

I'm not having a shot at you, you just hit a nerve.

Scubaveg likes this.
  13. Davemonkey

Davemonkey Strider of the middle way.

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Video games are a team aren't they?
    Yeah I tend to feel that way. Carlton is an excellent example of a board that sunk money in to the Club and expected far too much say over the years. I highly doubt any white knight is not going to want to see a return on their investment in some way and if they don't get it they may start interfering.

Keays2myBeamas likes this.
  14. winged1

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Our "white knights" have a strongly vested interest and way too much control over the club

15. briztoon

briztoon Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
    How many teams or sports have financial sugar daddies in Australia?

I don't follow a lot of sports or teams in Australia, so the only one I know of is Gerry Ryan personally putting a lot of money in to Australian cycling (mens, womens and junior) and women's basketball.

16. winged1

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Yeah but Gerry still had an interest in promoting jayco and did it hand in hand with Australian Cycling. Slightly different thing because there aren't 18 australian world tour teams vying for a slot. There was one other team just before orica got up, but they managed to kill themselves.

17. Back2Back2Back

Back2Back2Back Premium Gold

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Sorry that wasn't intended - I just mean we don't appear to have much in the way of a financial grounding outside of sponsorships, our single social club that derives majority of its income from poker machines in arguably a lower socioeconomic part of Brisbane, and the AFL throwing us a bone when it gets really bad. So much so that even after all has been said and done about getting this project off the ground after how many years, we're still limited by a fund shortfall.

It was a light hearted (though seemingly poor) joke about encouraging people to come to the Lions and want to invest in the club. I didn't mean for it to sound like we should let that translate into buying their way into making those types of calls again.

18. winged1

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    No need to apologise. All good

Back2Back2Back likes this.
  19. briztoon

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Yes and no.

Gerry has history in supporting Australian athletes and sports. He funded Kathy Watt in her bid to qualify for the Barcelona olympics and has supported cycling long before Greendege, and yes he got to promote Jayco. Cycling Australia recently pulled funding for road cycling and Gerry has stepped up his finance to fill the breach.

Still, my question was which other private individuals put funding in to Australian sports?

20. briztoon

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    I've been out of the industry for a few years now, but that was hardly coincidence.

Logan is the pokie capital of Queensland. It's unfortunate, but widely known that the lower socioeconomic areas play the pokies far more than more well off areas.

Springwood hotel owned by ALH used to jockey for position with Sunnybank hotel as number 1 pokie revenue hotel for ALH. Logan diggers RSL used to be the number venue in Queensland for pokie revenue.

21. Bell End

Bell End Team Captain

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Poole pirates
    Frank Lowy banked rolled soccer in Australia

22. Dylan12

Dylan12 Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Boston Red Sox, Chelsea
    Larry Kestleman is doing for it basketball in Australia.

23. Tassie4ever

Tassie4ever Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Hawthorn
    The idiot who ran all those now bankrupt childcare centres sponsored the Brisbane NBL side.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

24. winged1

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    But he had a helicopter and it was really his wife. ...

25. briztoon

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Owned the team licence wasn't it?

Bit different to sponsoring.

James North likes this.