Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Kernel, you'd hardly imagine Zorks or any player/coach/admin staff to come out publicly and say they don't want to move to Springfield do you?
Alan you can't imagine that some players and staff actually don't care about it one way or the other. The drive against the traffic out that way is pretty good these days, I'm a regular up to the Lockyer Valley and maybe some players do value the facilities over their lattes. (or in Zork's case their Grilld - see him & Golby there quite a bit).

The players hate their current training environment. They know what other clubs have. They know that something better is possible, as long as we get out of the Gabba dungeon. And the few that I've spoken to have seen Springfield as an opportunity to train in top quality facilities, which is their main goal.

Now, if we said to them that Coorparoo, New Farm Park or the City Botannic Gardens were suddenly an option, I'm sure they'd prefer those to Springfield. But the impression I have is that they are prepared to go to Springfield if it means getting out of the Gabba.

Every year at the Player Sponsor Function it gets brought up. Personally, I think the fact that the Gabba is underground makes it perfect - our boys will be safe in the event of a Zombiepocalypse.

I imagine like anything in life there are some on both sides of the coin.
I would take Zorko's word as said. I believe he is 100% loyal to the Lions and will be for life. For players like that, the opportunity for top class facilities and resources will be far more important than location.
Having said that, there will no doubt be some who might think they can get the first class facilities AND better location elsewhere, particularly interstate players who might prefer the comfort of home, family and friends or the Sydney lifestyle or many other things other clubs can offer. No situation will suit EVERYONE.
There will be others like Zorko, but yes, there will some who might not be as happy about it.

The reason that the players mostly live in the inner south-eastern pocket is because that is where the facilities are. Some don't live there already, I'm pretty sure Browny lives on a farm at Tamborine now. Who is really going to be annoyed by a commute to their job when it is likely to be around 30mins? Most of us probably have it worse for our jobs and manage. And it might cause some supporters who are die hard attendees at training to drop off, but there will likely be others that find it more convenient to take their place... wherever we have to move to.

The facilities are the priority, with consolidation to a single location. I bet it is annoying enough to have to split time between the Gabba and Coorparoo as it stands at the moment.

The reason that the players mostly live in the inner south-eastern pocket is because that is where the facilities are. Some don't live there already, I'm pretty sure Browny lives on a farm at Tamborine now. Who is really going to be annoyed by a commute to their job when it is likely to be around 30mins? Most of us probably have it worse for our jobs and manage. And it might cause some supporters who are die hard attendees at training to drop off, but there will likely be others that find it more convenient to take their place... wherever we have to move to.

The facilities are the priority, with consolidation to a single location. I bet it is annoying enough to have to split time between the Gabba and Coorparoo as it stands at the moment.

Admittedly, I have never been to training at Coorparoo more than a dozen times, but I can honestly say I have never seen more spectators than support staff [my highest count of Lions' personnel was 27].

Wherever we take up, we need state of the art facilities a la those enjoyed by Collingwood.

We are not going to be offered a multi-million new resource on a plate, it goes without saying. We will have to do the majority of the heavy lifting and only when we do so will we regain any credibility.

I sincerely hope whoever takes up as CEO looks at things with fresh insight. In short, Queensland and WA are the boom states- it ain't never going to get much better up here. We need to tap into this boom somehow, and get some backing from one or more of the huge resources companies underpinning the whole thing. After all, we offer as a game unparalleled nationwide exposure for at least 7 months of the year. Obviously it won't be as simple as knocking on the odd door or two and banking cheques, but try telling our marketing problems here to people from my home State.

How I long for the days when Eddie was whinging about us- may they return soon. Money will solve all.

Kernel, you'd hardly imagine Zorks or any player/coach/admin staff to come out publicly and say they don't want to move to Springfield do you?
Totally agree , thats why I said he sounded genuine with his response, didn't sound like spin .
Who really knows what the players thoughts are on this subject

So as a Melbourne fan who doesn't know much about the geography of Brisbane, what are the problems (not talking about the conflict of interest and money stuff) with moving out to Springfield? I can see its a bit out of town, so is it the distance/travel time thing? Is it a dodgy area? Is there nothing out there?
Trying to think of a Melb comparison for ya. Maaaaybe Point Cook, but even newer/less developed.

Last edited:
Trying to think of a Melb comparison for ya. Maaaaybe Point Cook, but even newer/less developed.
Seems about the same distance. Which is about the same distance as Waverley Park to the MCG and closer than Casey or Seaford. Though more players would live on the Eastern side of the Melbourne making them closer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an aside, my wife was getting her hair cut recently in Brissy. Discussion turned to Melbourne. The hairdresser mentioned she didn't like it it and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. My wife was surprised but after a bit of digging discovered she'd been there once for two weeks and spent 99% of it at Point Cook. Now, not to bag Point Cook, but it isn't where I'd go to experience "Melbourne". While Brisbane is IMO less of a "cultural experience" than Melbourne, I think there's a parallel there.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. There's Springfield, then there is Rocky. At least Springfieldians aren't wearin' cowboy hats and having to check their irons at the saloon.:p

I spent three weeks in Rockhampton in order to get to Brisvegas. Three long weeks...

Having experienced both they are much of a muchness ;)

Interesting fact: PFK is very partial to violence. :)

I'd happily walk the streets of Kangaroo Point at night to go to the corner store - hell, I even go out in the dark to get to the Coles in New Farm. But there is no way I'd go out alone in Rockhampton, let alone at night!

I've always lived in Melbourne, and at first I was like wtf is Point Cook. So I used that fancy google maps think and lol'ed. If any Melbourne based club said they were going to move their facilities out of the inner city to Hoppers Crossing I would not be able to stop laughing.

Might as well get facilities in Chicago, hear you can buy houses for around $500 out there, should be able to find some pretty cheap land set up some footy fields.

As an aside, my wife was getting her hair cut recently in Brissy.
You can save some money and cut your wife's hair at home. I do and the results speak for themselves.

haircut.jpeg

You can save some money and cut your wife's hair at home. I do and the results speak for themselves.

haircut.jpeg
That's quite the coincidence POBs. I've been doing the same with my fiance, and even making a few articles of clothing for her. She couldn't be happier with the results.

sPwiex2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back