New fan

USA Jim

Draftee
Jul 8, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hello all:
Started watching AFL two weeks ago and I cannot get enough. Unlike our NBA & NFL players who cry & whine about every little thing....AFL players are TOUGH. The real deal. No flopping. None of that pretend "throwing the penalty flag" garbage. "Play on". Ballcarrier is driven 3 feet into the ground. "Play on". One player plants his cleats into another's neck while jumping for the ball. "Play on".

As a long-time football fan in the USA can someone tell me about the penalties assessed if there is any extra-curricular garbage. I see an occasional push here & there but NOTHING like the flop artists of the NFL & NBA. In the handful of games I have watched I do not believe I have seen the referees needing to get between players.

I had to choose a team in order to register for this board but in reality I have no idea who to root for.

USA Jim

Draftee
Jul 8, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just don't go for Carlton Blues, any other team will do.

Do you ever get to watch it live or is it the whole record it and watch it later type deal?
Not sure if it is live given the time difference around the world. First game/match I saw involved Brisbane. Might go with them, or the West Coast Eagles. Awesome jerseys. Plus WC has that 6'7" monster out there who wins all the jump balls. But being a NY Giants fan here I would have a tough time wearing anything that said "Eagles". If you are a Giants fan you must despise the Eagles & Cowboys. It is written somewhere.

Played many years of hockey through & after college. Thought of myself as the toughest guy on the ice. Compared to these AFL players I should just go wear a dress and sit in the stands. Would have LOVED to play that sport if it was around 30 years ago here in the USA. Not as crazy as rugby. I have nothing but total admiration for anyone who plays rugby. Don't have a death wish so I never played rugby.

Fabab

Premiership Player
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if it is live given the time difference around the world. First game/match I saw involved Brisbane. Might go with them, or the West Coast Eagles. Awesome jerseys. Plus WC has that 6'7" monster out there who wins all the jump balls. But being a NY Giants fan here I would have a tough time wearing anything that said "Eagles". If you are a Giants fan you must despise the Eagles & Cowboys. It is written somewhere.

Played many years of hockey through & after college. Thought of myself as the toughest guy on the ice. Compared to these AFL players I should just go wear a dress and sit in the stands. Would have LOVED to play that sport if it was around 30 years ago here in the USA. Not as crazy as rugby. I have nothing but total admiration for anyone who plays rugby. Don't have a death wish so I never played rugby.
Why not pick a team that has similar colours to the giants mate?

USA Jim

Draftee
Jul 8, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why not pick a team that has similar colours to the giants mate?
Certainly a good idea!!!!

Not that I want to root for the most hated team....but who is the most hated? The Dallas Cowboys of Australian Football.

Fabab

Premiership Player
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Not that I want to root for the most hated team....but who is the most hated? The Dallas Cowboys of Australian Football.
Collingwood they wear blck and white maybe western bulldogs colours would be closest matey.

Last edited:

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I think fate has landed you with the right club already but I am bias. Keep watching as many games as you can and you'll likely find a favourite player and then usually your team from there I reckon..

Outer Bounds

Draftee
Jul 10, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
You Tube has some great clips of AFL moments. I recommend AFL Mark Of The Year, or AFL Goal Of The Year, (just pick any year) and if you find any player you like - maybe follow their team if their still playing. Good luck!

AFL Obsessed

Rookie
Apr 27, 2020
New York City
AFL Club
Essendon
Hello all:
Started watching AFL two weeks ago and I cannot get enough. Unlike our NBA & NFL players who cry & whine about every little thing....AFL players are TOUGH. The real deal. No flopping. None of that pretend "throwing the penalty flag" garbage. "Play on". Ballcarrier is driven 3 feet into the ground. "Play on". One player plants his cleats into another's neck while jumping for the ball. "Play on".

As a long-time football fan in the USA can someone tell me about the penalties assessed if there is any extra-curricular garbage. I see an occasional push here & there but NOTHING like the flop artists of the NFL & NBA. In the handful of games I have watched I do not believe I have seen the referees needing to get between players.

I had to choose a team in order to register for this board but in reality I have no idea who to root for.

Love that you love the game! Tough athletes for sure; I have always felt that about the difference between our American football versus Aussie Rules.

USA Jim

Draftee
Jul 8, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Where has this game been all my life!!!! I cannot stop watching it!!! I actually scan the cable listings days in advance to plan out my viewing.

Being a dog lover I am thinking about choosing the Western Bulldogs as my adopted team. Wife & I have four dogs. No Bulldogs, but I love their looks & personality.

When you’re ready to go for Carlton just let me know and I can edit your account setting :D

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have a look at every team and choose what ever you want. Better to do that than go for a team someone else chose for ya.

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hello all:

Please check out the USAFL as they might have football clubs near you.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers

You can't really pick your team, a team has to pick you. For now just watch the sport, and sooner or later, a team will just click with you.

I'm a NY Giants fan because when I went to NY they won the superbowl, so I experienced the parades etc.

But the Eagles are a great choice ;)

USA Jim

Draftee
Jul 8, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
While watching the Giants game the other day the name Toby Green came up. Decided to Google him and see what I could find.

I learned he isn't exactly the most-beloved player in the game.

While watching the Giants game the other day the name Toby Green came up. Decided to Google him and see what I could find.

I learned he isn't exactly the most-beloved player in the game.

Welcome aboard mate, honestly as others have said pick a team or player you like watching and like how they play and go with that.

Brisbane are playing really well this season one of the better teams to watch

Thats how i picked most of my american sports teams though and it hasn't failed me yet :)

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast

West Coast all the way.... You wont be disapointed.

USA Jim

Draftee
Jul 8, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bulldogs stuff ordered. I know it's coming from the other side of the world but I sure hope it gets here within two weeks. Wife could not decide if she will be a Port Adelaide fan or a Brisbane fan. Bought her one hat of each. After putting up with me for 33 years I can splurge for two different teams for her. Now we just need to hit the Powerball jackpot so we can come see games in person....assuming the Zombie Apocalypse has ended by next year.

Back