New Fitzroy Book

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just come across this on Twitter, seems as though it's been published this week.

The Death of Fitzroy Football Club is an oral history, outlining the reasons why Fitzroy FC, one of the founding clubs of the VFL in 1896, lost its way and eventually was merged with the Brisbane Bears. The book covers the spread of years from the seventies, through a period when the club was strong on the field in the early eighties, to the club’s death, at the end of the 1996 season.

Fitzroy FC never had a chance when the VFL moved into the professional era. Despite its heritage, despite some of its champion players and coaches, it never had the financial wherewithal to survive. The beginning of the end can be traced to the seventies, when finances became tight, and the club’s best players had to be traded for cash. The author has curated contemporaneous interviews from Inside Football magazine and other publications, together with interviews with those intimately involved in the club’s final days, including the AFL’s CEO, Ross Oakley, who oversaw the club’s final merge with the Brisbane Bears. The book describes the emotional fallout that saw families split, and supporters discarding their relationship with the AFL game.

Would love thoughts from anyone who's got a copy. Looks a great read.

b9b0514f-5931-43c1-bc09-ab250039dfe2

Listen to interview on ABC about the book and reaction from Fitzroy people.

First post, long time reader, great to join.

I got a copy last week. Really interesting read. I'm only reading because my Dad was a die hard Fitzroy fan and my grand father played a handful of games for them in the 50's so it helps understanding about club that played such a big role in their lives. Dad is a Lions man ever since the merger, but I know he still misses the Roys.

I got a copy last week. Really interesting read. I'm only reading because my Dad was a die hard Fitzroy fan and my grand father played a handful of games for them in the 50's so it helps understanding about club that played such a big role in their lives. Dad is a Lions man ever since the merger, but I know he still misses the Roys.
Welcome to the Lions board; just look out for the likes of 3KZ is Football

Stick with me and Dylan12 son, we’ll look after you.

Cheers mate; I've notice you two seem to wax lyrical a lot.:)
We are actually the same person, but keep that to yourself.

In other news, my book arrived the other day and it is an absolute ripper
3EEAD67B-8F20-436F-96D3-2BE3C09A46F5.jpeg
I would have bought the book for the photo of Bernie Quinlan alone. What a magnificent footballer he was. In the book Paul Roos rates him as better that Adam Goodes and I would agree. I have Quinlan and Gary Wilson dead heating for the best Fitzroy players of all time and certainly among the best 4 or 5 footballers I have ever watched play.
The book itself is a cracking good read and I can’t recommend it enough.

View attachment 882650
I would have bought the book for the photo of Bernie Quinlan alone. What a magnificent footballer he was. In the book Paul Roos rates him as better that Adam Goodes and I would agree. I have Quinlan and Gary Wilson dead heating for the best Fitzroy players of all time and certainly among the best 4 or 5 footballers I have ever watched play.

Well said 3KZ. It's refreshing to read a book that has a focus on the positives of Fitzroy's history.
Pete has done a hell of a research job and uncovered some really cool stuff that is well worth a read for anybody with an interest in Fitzroy's history.

View attachment 882650
I didn't know about this, thanks for sharing.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back