New Format for the Competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Fossil

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi All,

Probably been discussed before but I really think the AFL needs to look at the structure of the season, fixtures and the like.

I personally think games such as WCE v GWS is pointless and if anything hurts the game.

My solution is to divide the league up into 3 groups of 6.

The top six plays each other twice, home and away. They also play the middle group once.

The middle group plays each other once each, and play the groups above and below once.

The bottom six plays each other twice, once home and away, and the middle group once.

The top two and bottom two of the middle and bottom group advance/relegate at the end of the season. The bottom two of the top group are relegated to the middle group.

The top four of the top group play off for the flag, or maybe the top two.

I feel a system of battlefield promotion could also exist. If a team from the middle group beats all six of the top group the get to playoff somehow.

I think this would create more interesting games of football, the best teams testing themselves against the best more frequently. Those below get to test their metal occasionally.

I'd like a way for the middle group to play each other twice.

The bye structure could also be looked at seriously.

Thoughts, comments, criticism. Bear in mind I am quite drunk.

Ja Bless.

I had a similar idea earlier in the year (read here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=883367 )

The problems with your system are as follows:
- AFL will be shattered if it loses its blockbuster games - e.g. Carlton V Collingwood V Essendon and all the derbys e.g. Port V Adelaide, Freo V WC
- West Coast wouldnt have played finals last year. At best they would only get promoted to the top group this year. That sucks the life out of the competition and memberships in lower groups would be expected to flounder. As much as a game like WC v GWS may suck, having a lot more rounds of GWS v Melbourne will draw small crowds if they arent competing for anything and it is acknowledged the quality is poor.

As you'll see in my post, i like the concept of splitting into 3 groups. But think all teams need a chance of playing finals, all teams need to play each other once at the start of the season (e.g. I dont think its fair to have to play collingwood for a second time when theres 3-4 teams we wont have played by that point.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back