News New Geelong Club song (2018)

Like it?

• Yes

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the opportunity to actually sing the second verse but something just doesn't sound right in this version.

Overall the song just sounds nice - but hopefully when at the game we won't actually hear any of the recorded singing because the fans will actually make noise and song loud & proud when it plays

The AFL were approached by a few clubs to have it re-recorded. And some wanted words changed.
So the afl did 15 of them.

Clubs don't have to use it apparently.

I hope we do. Really like the second chorus.
The second verse has always existed. Its like the second verse of the national anthem. Who knows that?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a version of the club song we used extremely fleetingly in the late 90’s when they were trying to rebrand the club?
I had it on a CD single. I’ve got a vague recollection that it starts off almost Jazz like repeating the lines “we are geelong” really smooth. It was horrendous.

Why am I not see the play button.. the song will not play ...

OK played it MMM site... just added the second verse?

I dont get why all the clubs songs are different lengths... if this is what they play as the team comes on the field .. listening to 2 minutes of we have the Power to win blahblah when they come on to the ground is painful meanwhile some clubs have less than a minute. Seems a bit loose to me.

Last edited:
the "niceness" of the songs is part of the problem. The songs have lost their "edge" to them which is disappointing, to say the least.

Completely agree - there was no emotion to the song. It's almost like a song with explicit lyrics that has an edited version for radio, it's like thats what they have done with the songs in taking away the edge they had

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can barely tell the difference. Second verse is the old third verse I think, although they've changed it a bit. Would rather they dealt with: our right to a home final, or making the rule clear for holding the ball/push in the back/incorrect disposal, or committing AFL games to be free-to-air...the list goes on.

Definitely do feel the club are hoping the fans give the “FIGHT LIKE HELL” the same way Richmond do the “YELLOW AND BLACK”.

I don’t mind it, we’ve at least broken even or bettered our club song, many clubs can’t say the same, a few have been absolutely butchered.

But as others have said, don’t fix what ain’t broke, the AFL are doing some strange things lately.

The thing is, the “yellow and black” part of Richmond’s theme emerged spontaneously, and was already part of the song. I can remember Richmond fans roaring that at volume in the 1995 finals. It’s not new.

It’s a very simple plan the AFL has: destroy anything with genuine emotional ties to a club. Then it’s easier to brainwash their fans when that club is relocated or abolished.

Can barely tell the difference. Second verse is the old third verse I think, although they've changed it a bit. Would rather they dealt with: our right to a home final, or making the rule clear for holding the ball/push in the back/incorrect disposal, or committing AFL games to be free-to-air...the list goes on.
Basically we'd rather they worried about things that are actually important

Instead of redoing the songs, AFLX, increasing the number of emergencies from 3 to 4 etc etc

Why am I not see the play button.. the song will not play ...

OK played it MMM site... just added the second verse?

I dont get why all the clubs songs are different lengths... if this is what they play as the team comes on the field .. listening to 2 minutes of we have the Power to win blahblah when they come on to the ground is painful meanwhile some clubs have less than a minute. Seems a bit loose to me.
Kadinia Park is melting in the dark:D

Past player John Watts was responsible for the Club’s theme song. He got together with his team-mates during the 1963 season to pen the words. It was sung most enthusiastically after the grand final that year! We Are Geelong, tune: The Toreador March, from the George Bizet Opera, Carmen.

We are Geelong, the greatest team of all
We are Geelong; we’re always on the ball
We play the game as it should be played
At home or far away
Our banners fly high, from dawn to dark
Down at Kardinia Park

So! Stand up and fight, remember our tradition

Stand up and fight, it’s always our ambition

Throughout the game to fight with all our might

Because we’re the mighty blue and white

And when the ball is bounced, to the final bell

Stand up and fight like hell

I like it a lot. It honours the original song from Carmen as well as the original Cats song.

Who can honestly say they knew the words to the original 2nd verse?

Back