Toast New guernsey numbers - OP Updated for 2023

2023 changes:

10: Aaron Francis (last worn by Sam Naismith)
18: Jacob Konstanty (last worn by Callum Sinclair)
25: Cooper Vickery (last worn by Ben Ronke)
28: Will Edwards (last worn by Lewis Taylor)
32: Jaiden Magor (last worn by James Bell)
35: Caleb Mitchell (last worn by Barry O'Connor)
40: Cameron Owen (last worn by Malachy Carruthers)

2: Hayden McLean (was 41, last worn by Kaiden Brand)
15: Sam Wicks (was 45, last worn by Sam Gray)
19: Peter Ladhams (last worn by Matt Ling)
29: Angus Sheldrick (last worn by George Hewett)
34: Matt Roberts (last worn by Jordan Dawson)
37: Corey Warner (last worn by Elijah Taylor)
41: Lachie Rankin (last worn by Hayden McLean)

6: Logan McDonald (last worn by Jackson Thurlow)
16: Braeden Campbell (last worn by Zac Foot)
21: Errol Gulden (last worn by Jack Maibaum)
31: Tom Hickey (last worn by Harry Reynolds)
33: Marc Sheather (last worn by Ryley Stoddart)
36: Joel Amartey (was 46, last worn by Aliir Aliir)
40: Malachy Carruthers (last worn by Nick Smith)

1: Chad Warner (last worn by James Rose)
2: Kaiden Brand (last worn by Daniel Menzel)
3: Dylan Stephens (last worn by Jarrad McVeigh)
10: Sam Naismith (was 35, last worn by Zak Jones)
15: Sam Gray (last worn by Kieren Jack)
17: Will Gould (last worn by Darcy Cameron)
28: Lewis Taylor (last worn by Durak Tucker)
35: Barry O'Connor (last worn by Sam Naismith)
37: Elijah Taylor (last worn by Adam Goodes)
39: Brady Rowles (last worn by Heath Grundy)

2: Daniel Menzel (last worn by Alex Johnson)
4: Ryan Clarke (last worn by Daniel Hannebery)
6: Jackson Thurlow (last worn by Jordan Foote)
8: James Rowbottom (last worn by Kurt Tippett)
16: Zac Foot (last worn by Gary Rohan)
22: Nick Blakey (last worn by Dean Towers)
27: Justin McInerney (last worn by Daniel Robinson)
28: Durak Tucker (last worn by Nic Newman)
31: Harry Reynolds (last worn by Harrison Marsh)
45: Sam Wicks (last worn by Angus Styles)

11: Tom Papley (was 41, last worn by Jeremy Laidler)
19: Matthew Ling (last worn by Shaun Edwards)
30: Tom McCartin (last worn by Tyrone Leonardis)
32: James Bell (last worn by Michael Talia)
33: Ryley Stoddart (last worn by Brandon Jack)
41: Jake Brown (last worn by Tom Papley)
45: Angus Styles (last worn by Samuel Fisher)
46: Joel Amartey (last worn by Samuel Murray)

6: Jordan Foote (was 45, last worn by Tom Mitchell)
9: Will Hayward (last worn by Abaina Davis)
13: Oliver Florent (last worn by Toby Nankervis)
17: Darcy Cameron (last worn by Jack Hiscox)
19: Shaun Edwards (last worn by Tom Derickx)
21: Jack Maibaum (last worn by Ben McGlynn)
25: Ben Ronke (last worn by Ted Richards)
42: Robbie Fox (last worn by Xavier Richards)
45: Samuel Fisher (last worn by Jordan Foote)
47: Toby Pink (last worn by Kyle Galloway)

2: Alex Johnson (was 34, last worn by Rhyce Shaw)
14: Callum Mills (last worn by Craig Bird)
18: Callum Sinclair (last worn by Jordan Lockyer)
30: Tyrone Leonardis (last worn by Sean McLaren)
32: Michael Talia (last worn by Lewis Jetta)
34: Jordan Dawson (last worn by Alex Johnson)
37: -rested-
38: Colin O'Riordan (last worn by Mike Pyke)
41: Tom Papley (last worn by Lloyd Perris)
46: Samuel Murray (last worn by Shane Biggs)
47: Kyle Galloway (last worn by ????)

Last edited:

SydneyBlood

Senior List
Mar 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Dug up this old thread. Numbers available for 2021 are 6 - 16 - 21 - 31 - 33 - 36 - 39 - 40. Also 37, will guess that won't get filled. Assuming no players already on list in 2020 change numbers, will guess the six new players on the list will wear the following:

6 - Braeden Campbell

16 - Tom Hickey

21 - Errol Gulden

31 - Malachy Carruthers

33 - Logan McDonald

36 - Marc Sheather

Last edited:
Give Logan or Campbell 37. Both are top draft picks and we need to get the stain of Taylor off it.

Unpopular opinion, but I would give it to an established player who is willing to change numbers.

ie. Someone who has the talent and has shown they'll have a career, as opposed to just hype from junior form, and someone who the club knows has the character worthy of it, as opposed to just hoping they're good blokes.

The issue with that of course is that most players won't have ticked those boxes until at least half-way through their career, by which point they've already got their numbers.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Unpopular opinion, but I would give it to an established player who is willing to change numbers.

ie. Someone who has the talent and has shown they'll have a career, as opposed to just hype from junior form, and someone who the club knows has the character worthy of it, as opposed to just hoping they're good blokes.

The issue with that of course is that most players won't have ticked those boxes until at least half-way through their career, by which point they've already got their numbers.
Maybe the next star we bring in?
I do think the number needs a palate cleanser for a lack of a better expression.

MightyBloods

Debutant
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Maybe the next star we bring in?
I do think the number needs a palate cleanser for a lack of a better expression.
I'd reserve the number for an indigenous player who has been on our list say for at least 5 years. Someone who is a stable pick in our seniors, displays elite talent and has the respect of the club and playing group. I'd make a big thing of it internally to communicate to every player the significance and history of the No 37 and the selection/process to be perpetual. The jumper to be presented at a jumper presentation night by Adam and, post Adam's life, by his closest living relations. The number has too much history at our club and in our game to treat it like a normal number. Imagine the added incentive it would give to all our indigenous players, the pride of wearing it and the constant reminder to everyone in our club, the competition and the community of the history of our No 37.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'd reserve the number for an indigenous player who has been on our list say for at least 5 years. Someone who is a stable pick in our seniors, displays elite talent and has the respect of the club and playing group. I'd make a big thing of it internally to communicate to every player the significance and history of the No 37 and the selection/process to be perpetual. The jumper to be presented at a jumper presentation night by Adam and, post Adam's life, by his closest living relations. The number has too much history at our club and in our game to treat it like a normal number. Imagine the added incentive it would give to all our indigenous players, the pride of wearing it and the constant reminder to everyone in our club, the competition and the community of the history of our No 37.

Not sure why but the idea of making the number 37 a number solely for indigenous players feels wrong somehow. I am not sure if I can properly put into words why it feels wrong but it feels like it is lessening Goodes, or basically labelling him as "the indigenous player". Goodes was a fantastic player, irrespective of his race, in fact his race does not matter in that regard, and I feel like making the number 37 a number for Aboriginal players is putting a label on Goodes that I don't think he would like.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Dug up this old thread. Numbers available for 2021 are 6 - 16 - 21 - 31 - 33 - 36 - 39 - 40. Also 37, will guess that won't get filled. Assuming no players already on list in 2020 change numbers, will guess the six new players on the list will wear the following:

6 - Braeden Campbell

16 - Tom Hickey

21 - Errol Gulden

31 - Malachy Carruthers

33 - Logan McDonald

36 - Marc Sheather
I reckon they will put Logan McDonald near Buddy in the locker room so 21 for him.

#6 Logan McDonald
#16 Braeden Campbell
#21 Errol Gulden
#31 Tom Hickey
#33 Marc Sheather
#36 Joel Amartey (was #46)
#40 Malachy Carruthers

Member's email links to youtube

Last edited:
#6 Logan McDonald
#16 Braeden Campbell
#21 Errol Gulden
#31 Tom Hickey
#33 Marc Sheather
#36 Joel Amartey (was #46)
#40 Malachy Carruthers

Member's email links to youtube
Surprised that Hickey didn’t keep his 16, and Campbell didn’t take the 31 worn by another local product in Brett Kirk, but oh well.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Surprised that Hickey didn’t keep his 16, and Campbell didn’t take the 31 worn by another local product in Brett Kirk, but oh well.
Yeah! What I thought too.

Bandit55

Senior List
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry for the late reply, but this is very optimistic. In the last 20 years only Mickey O, Adam Goodes, Lewis Jetta and Lance Franklin would meet this criteria. Next best is Tony Armstrong with 15 games. It appears that Tony Armstrong is around tenth on the list of most games played by an indigenous person for the Club. it appears that the Club does not have a great record in the recruitment, development and retention of indigenous players.

MightyBloods

Debutant
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry for the late reply, but this is very optimistic. In the last 20 years only Mickey O, Adam Goodes, Lewis Jetta and Lance Franklin would meet this criteria. Next best is Tony Armstrong with 15 games. It appears that Tony Armstrong is around tenth on the list of most games played by an indigenous person for the Club. it appears that the Club does not have a great record in the recruitment, development and retention of indigenous players.
So be it. The intention is to not just hand the No 37 out. If the Club needs to wait for the right candidate, then we wait.

Back