Welcome New Hawthorn football director - Luke McCabe

Remove this Banner Ad

His son is almost certain to be nominated as a father son and this reeks of a dad involving himself in the club to have some influence or insight on his sons cacareer.
Absolute pi55er, but this was my favourite bit!

Daddy McCabe DECIDING that he'll involve himself in the Club - his decision, not ours - so he can influence his son's career!:tearsofjoy:

138 games is probably a few too many to be called a spud.

But 1 post in 7yrs is enough for all to see you are a fcukwit.

You don’t need to be a good footballer to be a good football director.

Clarkson was no better than an average VFL/AFL footballer yet is the greatest AFL coach of all time.

Think it was this guy:

Luke could definitely do some unusual things under pressure, but Rex loved that phrase for whatever reason. My recollection of McCabe as a player was that he was very good, but was forced to play in an area of the ground (defender) where the stakes were high and the pressure could get to him. I think he was drafted as a mid.

Had the nickname Hollywood, which probably also set him up a bit to feel pressure.

Welcome Will looking forward to seeing you running around in the brown and gold with our other young exciting talent

........cr@p wrong thread gone a bit early got excited.
Welcome back Luke , looking forward to seeing Will run around in the brown and gold 🙂

So if his son isn't getting a game as the football expert on the board he can recommend the coach he sacked?

I don't know much about Luke's credentials but it doesn't pass the sniff test to me. Even if he is a clear number 1 choice for the role I'd go with the 2nd choice to avoid the conflict.

His son is almost certain to be nominated as a father son and this reeks of a dad involving himself in the club to have some influence or insight on his sons career.
People overate their awareness on football departments because this forum gives them the chance to spew it

This is the prime example

"I don't know Luke's credentials, but i can judge them because his son might play at the club"
"If he is the best choice, don't pick him, pick the lesser candidate because his son is good at footy"

Laughable

I’m not too familiar with the structure of AFL clubs, but do the recruiting staff report to the football director? If so, there is a conflict to be managed.

Shouldn’t stop the appointment or drafting decision, but you’d hope it is treated appropriately.
No. They report to the GM of Football, a paid executive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back