Official Club Stuff New Head of Academies - Stuart Cochrane

Remove this Banner Ad

The Port Adelaide Football Club is also pleased to announce that Stuart Cochrane has been appointed as Director of Academies, in charge of the club’s Next Generation Academies.
Cochrane brings a wealth of experience to the role, having spent more than a decade working in player welfare and development with Port Adelaide.
Before that he played 104 AFL games including 54 for the Power.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-11-17/thompson-returns-to-alberton

Cochrane is far from new, apart from a couple of years at the end of his playing career, he's been at the club since the end of 2002!

Oh! Sorry. I haven't made myself clear. Even so, he will be doing something new.

There has been lots of changes in Alberton lately. How commom is that?

Last edited:
Oh! Sorry. I haven't made muself clear. Even so, he will be doing something new.

There has been lots of changes in Alberton lately. How conmom is that?

Changes in off field staff - coaching, development, fitness - are fairly common. It'd be a rare year when a club didn't make at least a couple of changes in those areas, usually more than a couple.

The playing list turnover we had this year was a once in a decade event though.

I think I’ve sorted it out - the only missing piece in the jigsaw is a replacement for Mark Clayton as the Academy coach. It appears that Scott T will take over from Stuart C as midfield development coach. Stuart will now be replacing Shaun Hart. Matty Lokan replacing Chad as Magpies coach. Chad taking a “new” position being entirely involved with the AFL side. Am I on the money?

I think I’ve sorted it out - the only missing piece in the jigsaw is a replacement for Mark Clayton as the Academy coach. It appears that Scott T will take over from Stuart C as midfield development coach. Stuart will now be replacing Shaun Hart. Matty Lokan replacing Chad as Magpies coach. Chad taking a “new” position being entirely involved with the AFL side. Am I on the money?
I'm excited. Thompson young mids development and Cornes young forwards development. What will be very interesting to see is what happens when Voss is out of contract after next year.

Good luck to him. Was great to see the way he handled not being picked for that 04 gf side...if I recall correctly it was line ball between him and Schofield. A lesser person would have taken that personally and walked. I still believe he should have got that last spot on the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great appointment. Stuie is highly regarded around the club. This is more of an admin role rather than straight coaching. . Stuie has done the admin stuff in his player welfare and development job and then took on a direct coaching job so this will be a nice blend of his previous roles.

Played a vital role in helping players get thru the tough times after J Mac passed away.

Great appointment. Stuie is highly regarded around the club. This is more of an admin role rather than straight coaching. . Stuie has done the admin stuff in his player welfare and development job and then took on a direct coaching job so this will be a nice blend of his previous roles.

Played a vital role in helping players get thru the tough times after J Mac passed away.

I still remember the stories of Stuey as a player helping the coaches pick up the training cones after training had finished. Just seems like a great football person and the kind of guy you'd always want to find a role somewhere at the club for.

Oh! Sorry. I haven't made myself clear. Even so, he will be doing something new.

There has been lots of changes in Alberton lately. How commom is that?

I think it's a good thing to have guys moving on to new/different roles. Stops people from getting comfortable/complacent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back