News New head of Fitness, Conditioning and Medical - Harry Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compared to the guy who trained melb and has now gone to Adlaide ... what has Harry got in the way his credentials?

I didn't realise this was an area of his expertise... having said that..I think Harry is great extra guy to have at the club.. as long as we are not just adding ex geelong names having lost some geelong names.
There is only one Darren Burgess in the afl. He is so far ahead of any other candidate in the field that comparing others to him is a waste of time. Go look at his linkedin. 17 other clubs missed out on him.

If you listen to hockings interview it sounds like rather than being the head physio/trainer/head of rehab etc (which is the roles guys like burgess have had) there will be other staff doing that and H's role will sit above the high performance team to analyse how the dept is working and make it best practice and give feedback from the medical team to the players and vice versa. Given H would be one of the few people who has had the experience of being on both sides of that fence (as a player and a physio) id say its an ideal role for him and because hes very through in his analysis and respected by both the players and staff he can do that link role really well. Sounds like a different role from being the day to day head trainer to me.

that would make more sense that he is a back room role linking up different departments and analysing as compared to implementing the fitness strategies... i really hope that is the case.

so who is our head fitness guy?? aka our burgess?? who will be planning and implementing the clubs pre season fitness regime and monitoring it?? who will be implementing our in season fitness plan across the lifespan of the season?? please dont tell me this is taylor... way way too inexperienced for a complex role like that.

No idea who the head of fitness is. I don’t recall ever hearing who has done that job. I also have no idea if harry is replacing anyone, or if it is a new position. I know we had numerous medical staff leave last year, but i also don’t recall if that also involved fitness staff.

This seems to be one area of the club that is extremely low profile. Even a google search doesn’t bring up any names. Just the term fitness staff mentioned numerous times.

I just find it odd that they have named harry as the head of fitness and medical, when he has zero experience. And he will be overseeing people who must be experienced in these areas. Harry is a smart guy, but surely he should be learning these roles from experienced operators?

a post before suggested he is not the one doing the fitness operations and implementing the fitness regimes and plans.... but who is apparently then??? i am genuinely curious as i cannot figure it out. Pure_Ownage ?? do you know who is our fitness guru??

if harry is running the pre season fitness regime and implementing it all himself, i do have concerns he is extremely underqualified for the role as he is just a uni graduate level in the position.

I assume he is someone very good for a fitness position as he seems quite analytical with his approaches and is an ex player so it is a good combo. What he lacks is the skill set and knowledge for such a senior role i would have thought at this stage.

Compared to the guy who trained melb and has now gone to Adlaide ... what has Harry got in the way his credentials?

I didn't realise this was an area of his expertise... having said that..I think Harry is great extra guy to have at the club.. as long as we are not just adding ex geelong names having lost some geelong names.
I’m pretty sure HT is a qualified physio. Happy to be corrected
Go Catters

[who exactly is our fitness guru "aka our burgess" at the moment??[/B] some are saying that is not taylor.. so who is it then?? if we do in fact have a head guru fitness guy running the show, then i am less concerned about harrys new title as i imagine this is what you were concerned about before also without reading your posts
I think it's still John Leyden been there for yonks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's still John Leyden been there for yonks.

Mark Young was our key physio for years but im pretty sure he went last year when the covid stuff hit.

Exactly, all points.
Being a qualified physio helps, as does his elite footballing pedigree, but most importantly, this is Harry Taylor- he has an amazing intellect from all reports, and such a high quality person- he will be brilliant for us. The Harley to Swans comparison is appropriate.,
Agreed.

We have spent 20 years developing people better than anyone else in the league.

Time to cash in.

Although I do share the concerns about over populating the club with ex-players etc.

Clearly Hocking is going for a very high development and support environment.

Which is a good thing.

Love the no experience comments.

These guys spend their whole careers being surrounded by people doing their jobs around them.

Does he have experience in terms of being a police officer? Probably not
Does he have experience in terms of working in construction? Don't think so

If he has a degree in physio and has been watching fitness stuff around the club for 12 years and - as is well documented - quite an intellectual bloke, he'd be fairly clued on to the job role and would have undoubtedly observed it for some time.

As long as Taylor has absolutely nothing to do with the Geel backline

Jack Hawkins - Jumping Jack - Tom Hawkins father ( and by the way - a better CHB than HT ) he would be in his mid 60s at a guess - well i would be quite excited if he mentored the Geel backline . Because he would tell them ( exactly how he played ) that if you outmark your opponent - or win the ball - then at every opportunity - you play on - have multiple bounces ( exactly like Wojinski used to do -and Andrew MacKie but JH was 6ft 4 ) - and as Rich and Melb have proved - that rebounding/mobile defence is crucial - it is the 1st line of attack

Geel sadly have got only one rebounding defender and that is Bews . I dont want slow as treacle Taylor having anything to do with that cosy stupid missfits Geel defence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Hawkins - Jumping Jack - Tom Hawkins father ( and by the way - a better CHB than HT ) he would be in his mid 60s at a guess - well i would be quite excited if he mentored the Geel backline . Because he would tell them ( exactly how he played ) that if you outmark your opponent - or win the ball - then at every opportunity - you play on - have multiple bounces ( exactly like Wojinski used to do -and Andrew MacKie but JH was 6ft 4 ) - and as Rich and Melb have proved - that rebounding/mobile defence is crucial - it is the 1st line of attack

Geel sadly have got only one rebounding defender and that is Bews . I dont want slow as treacle Taylor having anything to do with that cosy stupid missfits Geel defence

Great contribution to a thread about Harry Taylor joining the club in a role that has nothing to do with the backline

Yeah, ummm no idea what the above is all about

Harry is joining the club in an off-field capacity where he's written under Simon Lloyd and wasn't approached to join in a coaching capacity - but we could do worse than have Harry working with our developing, young tall defenders

Besides that, Hocking has already said we may be changing the idea of the traditional coaching structure & not necessarily having line coaches next season:

However, Hocking says the structure may not follow the recent tradition of line coaches overseeing a specific part of the ground.

“As soon as you do announce someone, they say, ‘righto, what part of the field are they actually going to be looking after?’,” he said.

“Chris and (football boss) Simon Lloyd are currently working through what our coaching model will look like and whether we actually have line coaches.

“There’s some consideration going on around that.”

Jumping Jack was a very good player, but probably not fit to tie Harry's boot laces.
He was an excellent mark, and a shocking kick, and could only play in defence.
As far as rebounding defenders, have you forgotten we have the best in the business in Tom Stewart?
And Jack Henry also started doing great runs out of defence.
And we had a guy like Tuohy who also did.
At our best this year, we were nowhere near as bad as you describe

What’s type of defender is Tom Stewart?

Love the no experience comments.

These guys spend their whole careers being surrounded by people doing their jobs around them.

Does he have experience in terms of being a police officer? Probably not
Does he have experience in terms of working in construction? Don't think so

If he has a degree in physio and has been watching fitness stuff around the club for 12 years and - as is well documented - quite an intellectual bloke, he'd be fairly clued on to the job role and would have undoubtedly observed it for some time.

Imagine putting that on a cv - “I haven’t done the job but I’ve seen people do it”.

Imagine putting that on a cv - “I haven’t done the job but I’ve seen people do it”.

Yeah, imagine a teenager walking in to McDonalds saying they've eaten plenty of it so they know how to make it.

You are trying to assert that exposure to a role within an organisation that you've been around for a long time stands for nothing, but you're coming up short man. Perhaps you work in an industry that doesnt permit you to see the relevance in what I'm trying to point out.

I mean, think about it, imagine those players who come out of playing senior footy and become assistant coaches. Eddie Betts, hey? Yeah, I'm sure he's wildly experienced over the years in developing footy players.

Yeah, imagine a teenager walking in to McDonalds saying they've eaten plenty of it so they know how to make it.

You are trying to assert that exposure to a role within an organisation that you've been around for a long time stands for nothing, but you're coming up short man. Perhaps you work in an industry that doesnt permit you to see the relevance in what I'm trying to point out.

I mean, think about it, imagine those players who come out of playing senior footy and become assistant coaches. Eddie Betts, hey? Yeah, I'm sure he's wildly experienced over the years in developing footy players.
He might see what happens on field at training, but what the hell would he know about what happens behind the scenes in the medical and fitness departments?

It's a long way removed from assistant coaches, cause their main job in done in front of the players. The fitness and medical areas are the opposite. Where it requires a hell of a lot more backroom planning.

The strangest part is he will go in to the job trying to lead a bunch of people who have a heap more experience than he does. Very odd. He should be the one learning from them.

He might see what happens on field at training, but what the hell would he know about what happens behind the scenes in the medical and fitness departments?

It's a long way removed from assistant coaches, cause their main job in done in front of the players. The fitness and medical areas are the opposite. Where it requires a hell of a lot more backroom planning.

The strangest part is he will go in to the job trying to lead a bunch of people who have a heap more experience than he does. Very odd. He should be the one learning from them.

So let's recap

- Fitness Degree
- 12 years @ AFL level
- Must never have been injured

So probably doesn't know anything about anything

OK, I'm with ya.

Not.

So let's recap

- Fitness Degree
- 12 years @ AFL level
- Must never have been injured

So probably doesn't know anything about anything

OK, I'm with ya.

Not.
So what does he know about planning, testing, individual programs etc etc?

Bugger all.

A degree is worth nothing without experience to back it up. He should be learning the ropes from experienced people. Not going in knowing stuff all and having to learn on the job, while those people under him are probably tearing their hair out because they know more than he does.

I've worked under guys straight from university and it was always a cluster fk, cause they are book smart but don't know s**t about the actual job.

Harry has a degree is physiotherapy. He could work as a physio no problem. But he is now the head of fitness and medical, areas he has no training in. If you don't see this as a concern, and are cool with it because he is an ex-player and you are happy to turn a blind eye to his complete lack of experience then i'm sure you'll be happy having any position at the club open to any ex-players, despite no experience? Maybe piss chris scott off and get gary ablett in as coach, cause chris never played for geelong, and gary has watched coaches before so therefor he could easily do the job. He doesn't need any job experience.

Bugger all.

A degree is worth nothing without experience to back it up. He should be learning the ropes from experienced people. Not going in knowing stuff all and having to learn on the job, while those people under him are probably tearing their hair out because they know more than he does.

I've worked under guys straight from university and it was always a cluster fk, cause they are book smart but don't know sh*t about the actual job.

Harry has a degree is physiotherapy. He could work as a physio no problem. But he is now the head of fitness and medical, areas he has no training in. If you don't see this as a concern, and are cool with it because he is an ex-player and you are happy to turn a blind eye to his complete lack of experience then i'm sure you'll be happy having any position at the club open to any ex-players, despite no experience? Maybe piss chris scott off and get gary ablett in as coach, cause chris never played for geelong, and gary has watched coaches before so therefor he could easily do the job. He doesn't need any job experience.

You're not accepting that the difference between going from university straight in to the job is a tad different to doing university and going in to a job that you've had no previous exposure to. Different scenarios.

Bugger all.

I've worked under guys straight from university and it was always a cluster fk, cause they are book smart but don't know sh*t about the actual job.

Mate, not sure this is 100% right. Politicians take over portfolios with zero practical experience. What they do in this instance is rely on the expertise of the departments that do preside of over the functional aspects of the portfolio.

My thinking is that he has a little bit of knowledge of physio stuff (not really practical, but good enough to have a conversation and understand the mechanics of treatment), he has a hell of alot knowledge about playing football and preparing for it, he is a great leader and likely a great manager, he is articulate and can facilitate knowledge transfer. He is going to be green at his role, but hell, alot of us have taken roles that we dont have much experience at, and built capability. But to that degree - he's a humble man without much of an ego, so he will take advice of those who are at the coalface, he will also be able to learn off Lloyd too.

I believe he'll do alright in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back