News NEW HQ: ROYAL HALL OF INDUSTRIES & Showring Oval Upgrade

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Feel like we need a proper thread to update for an important chapter in Swans growth

When complete in late 2022, the Sydney Swans HQ will be home to the Sydney Swans elite men’s and women’s teams, as well as more than 700 young athletes, boys and girls, engaged in the QBE Sydney Swans Academy.

An international standard netball court and training facility will be constructed, catering to community and elite players, while also providing valuable infrastructure for the 2027 Netball World Cup, to be hosted in NSW.

Community sits at the core of the project. In addition to providing a new meeting place for the Swans community of more than 50,000 members and our more than one million fans, the Sydney Swans HQ will also be home to Indigenous focused not-for-profits’ the GO Foundation and Clontarf Foundation. It is intended that an Australian Red Cross Lifeblood donor centre is housed within the facility, which could become an important blood collection hub in Sydney’s east.

Go to Construction Updates for pdf images of progress

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
So it is finally being built, but it sounds like we won't actually own it which sucks.
True, as an asset it won't count on the books. But given Sydney's real estate prices we weren't going to get anything close to the SCG.

Through this we get our headquarters literally next door to SCG & Lakeside, and the govt get a promised long term tenant that is extremely low risk at moving.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
True, as an asset it won't count on the books. But given Sydney's real estate prices we weren't going to get anything close to the SCG.

Through this we get our headquarters literally next door to SCG & Lakeside, and the govt get a promised long term tenant that is extremely low risk at moving.
Wasn't the agreement like 40 years? Or did I just make that up?

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
You're going to make me read through all the paperwork, aren't you.

I already have. Originally was a 27 year lease.

F90B08CE-EF6C-424F-B25F-B125FF699C6D.jpeg

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Thanks robbieando !! 27 years is a decent length all things considered. Was hoping would could extract something really long term like double that but this is probably the best we can do.

Our SCG lease runs to 2046 as well so likely a case of the club making sure both contracts align at all times

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Our SCG lease runs to 2046 as well so likely a case of the club making sure both contracts align at all times
Well that makes sense. Although in all honestly the very thought of not playing at the SCG is something my brain cannot parse.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Well that makes sense. Although in all honestly the very thought of not playing at the SCG is something my brain cannot parse.
Just need it to be slightly bigger and more capacity. Simples, right?

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Just need it to be slightly bigger and more capacity. Simples, right?
We've never hit the seating capacity of 48k, so from an AFL perspective until we start doing that what does it matter?

We'd need to sell out memberships and consistently sell out the SCG for us to start pressing for more capacity.

Slingshot Footy

All Australian
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
We've never hit the seating capacity of 48k, so from an AFL perspective until we start doing that what does it matter?

We'd need to sell out memberships and consistently sell out the SCG for us to start pressing for more capacity.
It's hard to sell out games when the SCG members don't relinquish their tickets for blockbuster AFL games they're not interested in. During the peak of the Hawthorn rivalry tickets sales were exhausted for a number of games but I think the best we could do was 46,000 in 2017.

At 27 years, it will probably see me out as a member.
Right there with you Jewels.
Aww c'mon!!!

We're going to be those sweet, frail old ladies that have be at least 110, who go up to the stands in the lift with walkers decorated in red and white steamers, with crocheted rugs and beanies, and red and white thermoses and cups!

And if we don't open our mouths, no one will know any different! ;)

Aww c'mon!!!

We're going to be those sweet, frail old ladies that have be at least 110, who go up to the stands in the lift with walkers decorated in red and white steamers, with crocheted rugs and beanies, and red and white thermoses and cups!

Plan!!!! Love it :heart:
I will struggle with the not opening my mouth bit though 😂

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Aww c'mon!!!

You lost me at sweet :tongueoutv1:

I still have nightmares about ancient women with big umbrellas at the footy.
Ha ha ha :p

I'm much more likely to be one of those than a sweet, frail old thing... but if I can just keep my mouth shut, I might get away with it!

Screaming 'Shift you arse!' and 'are you *en blind, Ump?!!!' at the top of your lungs tends to give the game away! Lol!!!

We’re about a quarter of the way through the build, and we’re tracking to get the Swans in by the end of the year, which is our major milestone,” FDC Project Director George Pavlakos said.

“Each project has its own challenges. This is certainly one of our most exciting projects we’ve been involved in. You’re dealing with existing heritage significant areas of the building, the multiple uses of the facility, and not just being an office fit out – there are also the sports facilities, the gyms, the academies, commercial kitchens, cafes and more. It’s got everything you can build in the one facility, plus the combination of the new build outside. We’re really creating this site as its own entity.”

Back